Honored Contributor

Re: 25th anniversary MAC Viva Glam model is Winnie Harlow

@LoriLori  It's hard to believe that kids still tease classmates over their appearance.  Where are the parents?  Do they teach their children that this is wrong?  Thank God, Winnie overcame all obstacles to become famous in her own right.

kindness is strength
Frequent Contributor

Fascinating! I had vitiligo growing up. Started at age 12. I distinctly remember being called a jersey cow and a classmate in college asking if I had leprosy. Fast forward to mid 50s and I am now completely white so no one would know. Will be interesting to watch her journey as the pigment cells will continue to die and more of her skin will turn white.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I was Sasha wrote:
Fascinating! I had vitiligo growing up. Started at age 12. I distinctly remember being called a jersey cow and a classmate in college asking if I had leprosy. Fast forward to mid 50s and I am now completely white so no one would know. Will be interesting to watch her journey as the pigment cells will continue to die and more of her skin will turn white.

Bless you @I was Sasha .  Sorry you had to deal with the cruelty.  And wow that they even called you the same name (among others).  Horrible.  I don't know if you're a fan of Beyonce but Winnie was fabulous in Lemonade.  No lines but I kind of hope she has acting aspirations because I'd love to see her on the big screen.

Well, what I should say (and why I edited this) is that I'd love young people to see her on the big screen.  Particularly young people with any number of things who feel less than beautiful.  Her fame is so wholesome and empowering.  It makes me happy it makes you happy because no one should have to go through what you did.   

Look at that @Katcat1 , yes kids are still cruel and always will be and parents half the time don't even know what's going on on social media.  I think it's worse than ever now.  I think this is the hardest time to grow up ever