Regular Contributor

Respected Contributor

Re: Envy,I learned my lesson today..

I love your post and attitude. Although I don’t enjoy getting older, my immediate family is healthy. That is all that matters. We’ve have sickness and early death in our family so I have a firm grasp on enjoying every day and not sweating the small stuff. 

I got off FB awhile ago but recall people’s “great times, perfect children, awesome marriages”. The sales pitch 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good job, you're learning. And, we never stop learning.

Honored Contributor

I also enjoyed your post-- today especially...Any more the holidays are just not 'fun'....I am not on facebook to read what others are doing, does not interest me.

I just remember more fun times with family during the holidays...looking forward to everyone being together, especially when mom and dad were alive.... seeing the little kids, it was fun.......but for several reasons we no longer get togerher....lots of personality conflicts squashed that.

I'm not depressed just not looking forward to the holiday..

Honored Contributor

Every form of refuge has it's price.I was lucky and once I married had very strife in my life.As I age, I finally get what it means to experience lose and of course that's just part of life.

Esteemed Contributor

I always wonder why single women are still painted as "living alone in their small apt with a small tv" as though they failed to win the lottery?

It's 2018. Women are responsible for themselves and their own well being. That means moving, bettering yourself, saving, investing in your own life. 

Living your dream life shouldn't include a plan where someone else pays for it.  Being saved from poverty is one's own responsibility.

Respected Contributor

Several years ago, I got a Christmas card from a classmate, I had not heard from in years. She looked gorgeous on the card, & inside she had written an update on her life. It sounded like a fairly tale life. I thought to myself, it sounded like she was almost bragging on her wealth & accomplishments. Of course, I was a tad jealous. I've worked all my life. Been divorced 2x, not had the best life, but always enough Then I found out, she has just battled breast cancer & actually had no hair in the pic (she was wearing a beautiful furry hat). Then a few yrs later, breast cancer struck again, & she is now in the fight for her life with pancreatic cancer. As I think beck at my thought of the Christmas card, I realize wealth can not buy health & happiness. I am very grateful for being single, fairly healthy, own my home, & most of all I can come & go as I please & do what I want, when I want. I'm very thankful for MY life as it is. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snowpuppy

Gee ... that sounds like me and the majority of my friends.  We all live alone in small apartments in NYC and love every minute of it!   I guess people don't realize how much it costs to live here!

None of us would change it for the world!  NYC is the greatest!

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I always wonder why single women are still painted as "living alone in their small apt with a small tv" as though they failed to win the lottery?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will soon be 77 years old next month. I own my home now. I maintain and take care of it myself. In my lifetime I have four children. Two marriages and the last one I became a widow. I nursed my husband for over three years seeing him in pain and agony from cancer. I buried my husband, father and mother all in a short time. I decided to move to the shore in a small little apartment. I don’t have to rake leaves worry about leaky roofs or any other maintenance.  Yes I will be free to look out the window and watch it snow and I don’t have to worry to shovel. I will be free. I am really looking forward to it. The late Anthony Bourdain once said if you are going to be lonely,be lonely in a place that you love not where you dislike. That is what I’m going to do. I lived down there years ago and I know some people and I love it there. It’s always been my dream to go back. I am use to being alone now and it doesn’t bother me I can live within myself. For this I am greatfull!

Honored Contributor

@I am stillkeeper of the

I don't envy anyone, not who I am. Grew up with little while appreciating what we/I did have. Same now, been some bumps along the way, but my life now is better than I could have dreamed it would be. Each day is a gift to me and I will make the most out of however many I have left, regardless of what lies ahead.

hckynut

hckynut(john)