Trusted Contributor

the new tech stuff is driving me bonkers.  i just learn how to do somethimng and then it changes.  but working at the library forces me to keep up with how to do things.and it it amazoing just how fast  ways to  do things with the tech stuiff changes.

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover 

As one that has been into electronics since high school(early 1950's), thus is not a new thing. I would "mail order" the latest device, and by the time it arrived? Yep, a newer model was about to be introduced.

While maybe not quite as complicated, for those not into these things, they would scratch their heads and say????? Can't tell you how many co-workers came to me to set their "digital watches", and ask me how to do xyz with their VCR. Even had company electricians asking me about these things, and I even went to their homes to set up their VCR and/or home audio systems.

I knew squat about computers, but when they spiked my interest? Spent sleepless nights working on them learning as much as I could. Once I got internet access, there were a few people that took time to tell me things I didn't know.

This is our world now and the longer one is not involved, the harder it is to catch up. When I retired in 1991, many of the machines I ran had already started being computerized? Fortunately for me I was not forced to learn that technology about specific machines I would never use after retirement.

I get your point, but it is not something that is new to me.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

i knowolder people who won't use acomputer and they can't understand why they are lost in this new world.

time and time again, i havehad patrons come in and want to do somethingbut they don't have a clue about how to do it.  but refuse to learn how to use a computer.  

manyfeel that the internet is evil but i tell them that they need to realize that it is a tool that can beused for good orbad.

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

the new tech stuff is driving me bonkers.  i just learn how to do somethimng and then it changes.  but working at the library forces me to keep up with how to do things.and it it amazoing just how fast  ways to  do things with the tech stuiff changes.

How wonderful that you have the opportunity and ability to learn about new technology.  

Honored Contributor

I enjoy new tech stuff---my hubs is a raging idiot when it comes to any sort of change to anything---really fun when he explodes---not really!!!!Man Mad

Respected Contributor
Decided a few years ago that I had to get a smart phone or decide to stop trying to keep up. I have a smart phone and try to keep abreast of some things- apps, etc but by no means proficient. Stores, discounts, etc seem to be best accessed through phone. If is a struggle and challenge.
As a substitute teacher I am frustrated to no end by battle with phones in classrooms. Cheating, wasting of time, etc drive me crazy.
Honored Contributor

I've never been a tech person, not when I was young and not now.  It's just not my thing.  I don't pretend otherwise.  I buy and use the the things that I need, that make my life easier and I have learned that if a device does 1000 things, that does not mean that I have use it for all 1000 things.  I don't have to know how everything works, just how the things I want work.  I also don't need the lastest and greatest and newest of everything.  I find that when I have a question or problem with something; it's not "just me".  Other people had that same problem/question and that means the answer/instructions will be on Youtube.  I'm a visual person, usually seeing something and hearing the explanations works much better for me than reading directions.  

Regular Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@shortbreadlover 

As one that has been into electronics since high school(early 1950's), thus is not a new thing. I would "mail order" the latest device, and by the time it arrived? Yep, a newer model was about to be introduced.

While maybe not quite as complicated, for those not into these things, they would scratch their heads and say????? Can't tell you how many co-workers came to me to set their "digital watches", and ask me how to do xyz with their VCR. Even had company electricians asking me about these things, and I even went to their homes to set up their VCR and/or home audio systems.

I knew squat about computers, but when they spiked my interest? Spent sleepless nights working on them learning as much as I could. Once I got internet access, there were a few people that took time to tell me things I didn't know.

This is our world now and the longer one is not involved, the harder it is to catch up. When I retired in 1991, many of the machines I ran had already started being computerized? Fortunately for me I was not forced to learn that technology about specific machines I would never use after retirement.

hckynut

Great post @hckynut !

Frequent Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@shortbreadlover 

hckynut

great post @hckynut.