Respected Contributor

Hello, dear WaJa,

Great to hear from you and read the news about friends here.

The problem at the theater is when climbing the steps inside to sit up higher. I can't stand being right close to the screen. If they had a ramp instead of steps, it would be fine, but I'm okay with seeing it on TV and we can contol the volume so we don't need ear plugs which DD had to use.

We watch all the Hallmark movies and feel like Gracie that it's the same people and the same plots, but we can't find anything better to watch.

I had my license renewed last year with a new picture. Who is that?? Ours are loaded with security features. Some we can see, some not. So different from the way they used to be. DD told me that she wouldn't worry about me driving, but if I tried to lift the walker in and out and then walk around getting short of breathe, she would be afraid. I don't want to do that to her, especially when it isn't necessary. Now I could drive through out *bucks....hehe.

I think I did understand that the ponies weren't your own personal pets, but it's terrible that it happened.

No word from the doc about my ultra sounds, so I think all is more or less well. I continue to take one dose per day of the antibiotic and am doing okay as far as I know.

My sis is sort of anxious about more chemo. She's been there and knows too much now. She did tell them she can't stand the 7 or 8 hour treatments and they said they will use a different drug that will take about 3 1/2 hours which is still a very long time. She will lose her beautiful curly white hair. sigh.

Pastor's wife has chemo on Monday. They found a tumor on her adrenal gland while checking out her para thyroids (which are also a looming problem). I think she had one treatment but with no improvement so they are trying something else. The last of their 4 kids was married last month so they had their whole family together for the first time in 4 years. Two of their kids along with their families are missionaries. She is a shining light...the grace of God....

The district that is threatening a strike is the L.A. unified. DD works in a much smaller district inland from L.A. by many miles. Close to where we live. And she wouldn't go on strike even if they had one. It's against her beliefs. But these things are always planned to cause the maximum disruption so a settlement has to be made and it will be, IMO.

It will be wonderful when she is free of all of that, plus the awful curriculum that is working it's way into the schools down to PreK.

Glad your birthday was so nice with so many wishing you well and enjoying the time together. You are a very special person. No wonder everyone loves you.

snappy

Hi to cute, Issy, MsLomo, bathina..we miss you...Heart

Trusted Contributor

Hello, hello Q-Friends from a cold, hazardous mess here in N.C. We are under the storm advisory until tomorrow night, at least. Assuming no work for me on Monday, but I would much prefer pure snow to this nasty, icy mix. No one asked me, though! 

Anyone shopping on this Free Shipping day? I looked around at the fashions, since as Joy mentioned ... we'll soon be attending two weddings. I think I’d do a bit better at Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus. Neither wedding will be casual and I rarely find clothes here much to my taste. 

Debra, my step-niece is trying to decide between these 3 wedding dresses: 

BFF40EDD-BA12-4EF5-A104-AFD5E6F946AA.jpeg

F5F089DE-7B10-4143-AD3C-3318F33480AE.jpeg

4E2D7CBB-1BDD-4AA6-AB6A-011CA3EE6C4B.jpeg

I love them all, so I'm no help in deciding. What do you ladies think? Keeping in mind that Debra is a bit thicker and older than these models. This will be her second wedding, as her first husband and father of her daughter was KIA. She is planning to wear her mid-length, dark hair up, if that matters. With loose tresses along the sides.

What have you all been up to since the holidays? I didn’t have much purging to do, as Joy did, since we only recently moved here. I have been hosting Paint Night once a week from my home studio. Discovered that so many of all ages show such interest that I need more space! Really don’t want to haul all the supplies to another venue - or pay to rent one - so thinking ... I bet the interest may die down come spring anyway. My mother has been enjoying it, along with the socializing. She wanted to sell a few of her pieces, but our father refuses to part with any of them so far. That is both incredibly sweet, as well as a little frustrating. The proceeds are going to the children’s fitness center on the res', you see. 

Joy, we have been watching the new Legend Hunter, which seems to focus, so far, on old crimes. Jack the Ripper is coming up next, I believe. I also searched out the winter-spring PBS lineup. Here is that schedule, for any interested: 

http://www.pbs.org/about/blogs/news/pbs-announces-winter-spring-2019-primetime-schedule/

Not an awful lot on tap, I'm afraid. 

So Suz' and James are loving the new bed? 😍 I've looked and been so tempted by Saatva's luxury firm mattress. Outstanding reviews - on customer service, too. I hate going mattress shopping in the B&M stores. So much pressure! Let me know what they think of it in a few more weeks, please. 

Hope you don't get a foot of snow, unless you and yours can stay in throughout. 

Snappy, many prayers going up for Shirley as she begins chemo again. Yes, she knows too much ... but hopefully the new mix will be gentler on her. 

I'm glad the LA strike will have no impact on your DD. Teaching is stressful enough, and I really hope she doesn’t catch the flu or anything. We've been lucky this year so far (knock on wood) but then our private school is much smaller. And none of the awful curriculum you speak of. 

You said it about the Hallmark movies! Mind-numbing. Actually, the same could be said about most network TV. Same characters, plots (though graphic violence is included) - same old, tired formulas that managed to work out well once for ratings is repeated ad nauseam. I prefer to read, or create in the studio to music when I have free time. 

Happy that the meds are controlling the UTI! Here's to hoping that continues - or better yet, it'll cure you. 

I shall move along and prepare the kitchen for making dinner now. Left a mess there after lunch. 

Wishing you all a safe, beautiful winter weekend! 

78508C61-1A82-4E20-9539-151316D1F6B0.jpeg

Love, Rowan ❄️

Respected Contributor

Snappy: The other day I posted you a message on Widows which you probably haven't seen.  From now on I will post messages to you here.....am going to send a message to the other ladies on  email.  There are certain subjects I don't always feel comfortable with posting on line anymore.  Sending love to my other friends here too.

HiLo  (Lois)

Respected Contributor

@Rowan72 wrote:

Hello, hello Q-Friends from a cold, hazardous mess here in N.C. We are under the storm advisory until tomorrow night, at least. Assuming no work for me on Monday, but I would much prefer pure snow to this nasty, icy mix. No one asked me, though! 

Anyone shopping on this Free Shipping day? I looked around at the fashions, since as Joy mentioned ... we'll soon be attending two weddings. I think I’d do a bit better at Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus. Neither wedding will be casual and I rarely find clothes here much to my taste. 

Debra, my step-niece is trying to decide between these 3 wedding dresses: 

BFF40EDD-BA12-4EF5-A104-AFD5E6F946AA.jpeg

F5F089DE-7B10-4143-AD3C-3318F33480AE.jpeg

4E2D7CBB-1BDD-4AA6-AB6A-011CA3EE6C4B.jpeg

I love them all, so I'm no help in deciding. What do you ladies think? Keeping in mind that Debra is a bit thicker and older than these models. This will be her second wedding, as her first husband and father of her daughter was KIA. She is planning to wear her mid-length, dark hair up, if that matters. With loose tresses along the sides.

What have you all been up to since the holidays? I didn’t have much purging to do, as Joy did, since we only recently moved here. I have been hosting Paint Night once a week from my home studio. Discovered that so many of all ages show such interest that I need more space! Really don’t want to haul all the supplies to another venue - or pay to rent one - so thinking ... I bet the interest may die down come spring anyway. My mother has been enjoying it, along with the socializing. She wanted to sell a few of her pieces, but our father refuses to part with any of them so far. That is both incredibly sweet, as well as a little frustrating. The proceeds are going to the children’s fitness center on the res', you see. 

Joy, we have been watching the new Legend Hunter, which seems to focus, so far, on old crimes. Jack the Ripper is coming up next, I believe. I also searched out the winter-spring PBS lineup. Here is that schedule, for any interested: 

http://www.pbs.org/about/blogs/news/pbs-announces-winter-spring-2019-primetime-schedule/

Not an awful lot on tap, I'm afraid. 

So Suz' and James are loving the new bed? 😍 I've looked and been so tempted by Saatva's luxury firm mattress. Outstanding reviews - on customer service, too. I hate going mattress shopping in the B&M stores. So much pressure! Let me know what they think of it in a few more weeks, please. 

Hope you don't get a foot of snow, unless you and yours can stay in throughout. 

Snappy, many prayers going up for Shirley as she begins chemo again. Yes, she knows too much ... but hopefully the new mix will be gentler on her. 

I'm glad the LA strike will have no impact on your DD. Teaching is stressful enough, and I really hope she doesn’t catch the flu or anything. We've been lucky this year so far (knock on wood) but then our private school is much smaller. And none of the awful curriculum you speak of. 

You said it about the Hallmark movies! Mind-numbing. Actually, the same could be said about most network TV. Same characters, plots (though graphic violence is included) - same old, tired formulas that managed to work out well once for ratings is repeated ad nauseam. I prefer to read, or create in the studio to music when I have free time. 

Happy that the meds are controlling the UTI! Here's to hoping that continues - or better yet, it'll cure you. 

I shall move along and prepare the kitchen for making dinner now. Left a mess there after lunch. 

Wishing you all a safe, beautiful winter weekend! 

78508C61-1A82-4E20-9539-151316D1F6B0.jpeg

Love, Rowan ❄️

Rowan: My granddaughter would love them all, will show her these..  We were watching the Bridal show and she wants ;lace with long sleeves and the same neckline shown here.  Just perfect!   Talk to you all soon by email.

Love, Lois

Trusted Contributor

Hi to everyone!  Happy New Year!

Pretty wedding dresses, @Rowan72!

The first one is pretty and feminine, but a lot going on. Ornate. I think the sleeves might get in the way during the ceremony and the reception. If Debra is attracted to the very feminine, frilly, and decorative, this might be the one, but she should be prepared for the sleeves to dip their way into the food. Smiley Happy

The second one is my favorite. Simple, elegant.

The third one is good for a pear shape or someone whose top half is slimmer than her bottom half. I am concerned about the neckline, though. It looks maybe too revealing? I would not choose that one for myself because of the very full and long skirt -- too hard to walk in, deal with, etc. (No doubt I'd trip my way up the aisle.)

Heart

Trusted Contributor

@MsLomo wrote:

@Q-Anu, you are absolutely right about the defense of necessity! The two "close" answers had the "cutting of the cord," but with some twist that had me scratching my head. I think I can let it go, now that I've "talked" about it with you.

I think I've remembered the "Larceny" one: Person #1 is at a restaurant table with another person (Person #2). #1 has left his expensive watch on the table and excused himself from the table. Person #2 looks at the watch and really wants to take it and keep it. He picks it up and brings it over to his side of the table where he stares at it, puts it in his pocket, and decides he's going to keep it. A minute later, he has a change of heart and puts the watch back where it was. Person #1 returns to the table, unaware of what went on. Is Person #2 guilty of larceny? (Yes, he is.)

I think you are going to do a great job on the exam, but I totally understand the pressure and nerves. Everyone joked that if you got above 70 on the essay portion, you "overstudied," but I can understand your wanting to know how close you are to 70 when practicing! It's basically a pass/fail test, and you'll do better in some areas of the law than others. Supposedly, if you get a high enough score on the MBE, you'll be fine on the essay part (edited to add: because the graders won't scrutinize your answer as closely as those who are more "borderline" on the MBE part). Throughout your answers, generously pepper the buzz words/phrases: Tax: cost basis, gain; Civ Pro: same transaction or occurrence; Criminal Law: Miranda, forbidden fruit, illegal search and seizure. What date is the exam so we can all be sending you powerful positive thoughts? You may have stated it already, but I am OUT OF IT these days! 'Tis the season!

Thank you, @MsLomo for making time to help me during the busy holiday season! You don’t sound “out of it” at all to me - incredibly With It! That larceny case is surprising - on the surface it seems like a “thought crime” but shows intent, however brief.

I'm still (over) studying - I continued to through our short trip to NZ in the evenings in our room. I couldn’t sleep anyway until our last night there.....and surprisingly during the second leg of our flight home. (I have a fear of flying that's nearly phobic.) Your useful tips are most appreciated! I luck out with the buzz words that have always been used around the offices of our firm, but I'm still really concerned about the essay portion of the exam. Just never has been my forte. Have worked myself up to a migraine more than once. 😫 

Bought myself one of these essential oil diffusers I can actually wear around my neck: 

9C4B1D86-9732-4F37-B73D-6478DDF08842.jpeg

Joy told me that lavender oil is calming and eases migraines for some. It's true! The chain is long enough and I just use a drop or two, so it's not overpowering to others or myself. 

Exam dates: Feb. 26-28 

If anything else comes to mind, please pass it along when you have the time. Thanks for your support - positive thoughts and prayers! I feel well armed. 😊

I hope your holiday festivities were enjoyable and your new year is off to a great start! 

❤️ Anu 

Trusted Contributor

I'm still slowly catching up here ladies and will try to update our little prayer list, while I make my personal notes. 

Snappy, her sister Shirley and her pastor's wife for healing.

Martin Cole for healing and his family's difficulties.

Selah for continued knee recovery.

Suz' for proper treatment for lupus.

Gloria's daughter, Darla for healing and an end to severe pain.

Giving thanks above for Marcia and Mike's baby boy, Tyler Owen! 

Also for Hilo's healing from injuries due to the fall. So nice to see you back to posting again! 

(If I see other requests, I will return to edit those in.) 

Respected Contributor

Hi Rowan, sorry you have so much ice. It sounds dangerous. I like to look at pictures of snow. When I was still in my teens, we had snow once at winter camp. We all hoped we'd get snowed it so we didn't have to go home, but alas, that didn't happen.

Of course it was nothing like what you experience.

The dresses are beautiful. I'm interested in the fact that they have sleeves. It's been a long time since I've seen anything other than strapless at weddings out here. All 3 of my grandkids wore them.

Thank you for praying for my sister. I need to contact her this evening. Tomorrow she will have her blood work done and possibly a PICC put in. Hubby had that when his G tube got infected. I feel slightly sick at the whole prospect.

Our pastor's wife has been battling cancer for 13 years and has chemo again tomorrow for a tumor on her adrenal gland. It's stage 4, so it crops up anywhere it pleases. It's a terrible disease.

BTW, if it matters, I like the middle dress best, but the 3rd one would cover something if that's a good thing.

We are expecting lots of rain this week.

It does look as if that strike will happen. They have been offered a 6% pay hike retroactive to last year as well as smaller classes and other perks. Don't know what more they think they need or where they think the money will come from.

Stay warm and dry and enjoy your painting.

snappy

Respected Contributor

Dear HiLo, I found your post on the other thread and left you an answer. Thank you for trying to keep up here when I know you usually do other things on social media.

God bless..

snappy Heart

Trusted Contributor

Snappy - hugs to you. I know you're just sick with anticipation for your sister, Shirley tomorrow. I would be, too - how we all hoped and prayed she wouldn’t have to go through this again. Please Lord, may this time be successful and so, the last. 🙏 

Hilo, congrats to your granddaughter if she too is about to marry! Such a sweet, intelligent young woman. I know you are so proud of her. What will you wear? 

Rowan, what are y'all painting and are you instructing, too? Amazes me....your time management. I wish I had that, plus your creativity. I'd love to learn to paint. Seems so relaxing. 

I love the first two dresses, but as MsLomo said....those sleeves on the first. Imagine just trying to cut the cake with those. Debra will probably decide after her fittings, but I like number 2 - which besides being stunning and slimming - just screams Naval ship wedding. Number 3 is just a no for me, but it's HER wedding. Will she wear a veil? I think number 2 would look so chic with a hat or bridal halo. Some choices that might work: 

C3948F3E-3B4C-43B2-B646-DFD0A0B05B1D.jpeg

B3566755-5E68-4AD0-922A-D015C3390E39.jpeg

My personal favorite: 

D1F97691-F41E-4902-807E-2F34F7687422.jpeg

7A54A40E-B2EC-4CEE-B4DF-00E6E1C736F5.jpeg

B8B3EF39-F873-4B6A-BF35-614544D76705.jpeg

Personal favorite halo: 

F489DC53-BB70-4281-ABF8-31008786301E.jpeg

Congrats to the happy couple!! 💞 

Agnes, any word or update on little Martin's condition? I hope Michelle has made other living arrangements for herself and both children. I have that list of women’s shelters throughout the U.S., you know. Let me know should she need that. 

Boy am I jelly!! Not only did I have to miss Joy's birthday, but holding baby Tyler, too! 😩 Marcia, please let us know how it's going and if you finished his nursery. He'll probably be walking before I get to see him in person. 

Thank you all for the prayers and good thoughts for me, as I prepare to take the bar exams. I'll be back soon, friends. 

A happy, healthy and prosperous New Year to all! 

❤️ Anu