Respected Contributor

Dear agnes, thank you so much for your concern for my sister and her family and of course, for praying which is the most we can do for anyone.

She was here yesterday for a good visit. One of her girls brought her and her son with Downs came, as did DD#1 and 2.  She looks the absolute picture of perfect health, and her doc told her she is in good health which will help her deal with the treatments.

She had been having symptoms, so wasn't surprised at the news.

They told her son about it. He was the one who found her and thought she had died, but they know now how to prevent that and have explained it to him. I didn't know it, but he has returned to work so his schedule will be normal for him and his sisters are there for their mom.

My sis goes on the 14th for blood work, then the next day for a treatment. It's a different drug than last time. Won't cause the neuropathy that is so difficult, expecially her feet.

After the 2nd treatment, they will do a PET scan to see if it's being effective. If so, there will be more rounds. If not, they will try something else.

She is determined to fight it all the way.

I prayed for little Martin Cole to begin to thrive. How hard for his mom.

My ultra sounds were easy peasy. I'll hear sometime this week.

Thank you for letting everyone know to pray for my sister.

snappy Heart

Respected Contributor

Dear Lurky, you and I are both on our heating pads. Feels so good on the back, especially on cooler days.

Thank you for praying for my sister and for her family. She looks so good, nobody would guess she's not completely healthy. She's determined to fight this all the way. She did tell the doc that she can't deal with any more of the 7 or 8 hour IV treatments. She had panic attacks all the time. This one will take about 3 1/2 hours. They may put in a PICC so they don't have to look for veins all the time. She knows better now about not allowing people who are ill to be in her house.

We had a nice visit and lunch together. We never know when the last time we see someone might be now.

My mattress was very comfortable, but it's not now. It's at least 20 years old. It's really hard to go shopping for new ones.

I have also wondered if I might have kidney stones. Well, I'll know that soon enough.

This is the 3rd time I've had the ultra sound in the last few years.

The new doc wanted another round.

I'm taking something for pain that is the next thing to opiods, and I'm not eager to go there.

Thank you for caring and understanding.

snappy Heart

Respected Contributor

Hi MsLomo, my sister had been having symptoms, so neither of us was shocked at the news, but we hoped for the best anyway.

Her beautiful curly white hair will fall out again, but one of her girls has already picked out some new wigs for her to try.

Last time the church brought way too much food, which was lovely of them, but she couldn't eat it so it was thrown away. This time, she is planning on buying things to freeze and making things in advance so no matter how she feels, her son will have nutritious meals.

Live and learn.

The doc said the drug they will give her won't cause neuropathy as did the other one. That's a blessing.

Thank you for caring, of course it's who you are!!

DeLaney, thank you for sharing with others who will be praying also.

So excited about your baby boy!

snappy Heart

Respected Contributor

Hi WaJa, yes, I think we knew what the test would show, but hoped we were wrong.

The doctor has a battle plan to try, and assured my sis that there are new things now and options.

The last drug made her sick at the thought of beef and chocolate!! She got over that.

I don't think she's had any counseling, though she could I suppose if she felt the need.

I'm sure Sunny will soon wiggle off her mommy's lap and start to explore things. She often has a look that says "I wonder what scary thing is out there?" Such a contrast to Star who is fearless.

They both have big beautiful blue eyes.

Yep, I made it through the tests, but howdy, after I got home, wow...for hours...'nuff said!

Hope I don't have kidney stones. Hmmmm....

You take care and enjoy your new year's eve party. I think DD and I are going to see Mary Poppins in the afternoon. DD#1 said it's SO good...

Happy new year to one and all,

snappy Heart

Trusted Contributor

Dear Snappy, your sister is a fighter, and I'm glad to hear there are new options for her. 

Going to see "Mary Poppins" sounds like a good way to start the new year.

I had my first (and so far "only") kidney stone three years ago. The pain was so fierce that it catapulted me to a level of sensation I'd never before experienced. I think you'd know for sure if you had a kidney stone. There's no way to get comfortable in any position. Relentless pain, no break from it. 

I made shortbread tonight, but went with the last recipe (not the new, Christmas Tree one). I place the refrigerated dough on the baking pan and rolled it out there, then cut it with a pizza cutter and made my fork marks. Saves the steps of rolling out, cutting, and then transferring to the baking pan. Plus, I figure the less handling, the better.

I was able to restrain my "tasting the batter" -- well, maybe a little bit. 

Respected Contributor

MsLomo, you said a mouthful! No perfect parents... and the more I tried to be, the more my 3 proved me wrong. Our youngest actually seemed to delight in it! I can laugh (a little) now, but at the time... 😫 Those here who have known me longer will remember some of those trials. Caleb wasn’t exactly a prodigal son, but the wild oats sowing and dare-deviling like to have drove me around the bend. Now he's married (to Jodi) and a daddy himself (to Jaxon), so tamer, but still a “caution” as Snappy would say. 

Every child sharing DNA are yet entirely different, too. Our oldest, James seemed to have been born with an “old soul.” My friends would say, “he doesn’t count in child-rearing ~ too easy ~ he's a little man.”  He (Gracie's daddy and Suz's hubby) is still the most level-headed and responsible of the 3. But when he was little, he already thought he knew better than me, and that I needed looking after more than he did. Once or twice he may have been right, but that's an aggravation all its own. 

Lindsay, our only girl and middle child's first words were, “No, *I* do it!” Says it all, right there... And sneaky ~ oh, my! How she could get over on her daddy. She still has him wrapped around her little finger. 

I nursed all 3, then pumped when returning to work each time, and I wish we had these MAM bottles back then: 

66D9CD5C-B525-4224-85EE-A533B2AA25B5.jpeg

That's what the volunteer was using to feed little Tyler, when I interrupted to sneak a peek. They're designed to be closest to mom and anti-colic, too. When she took it away momentarily so she could turn, and I could get a better look at his face... he threw his little hand up and latched onto the bottle top, then didn’t let go! He was like: “Hey, I'm not done here ~ gimme that back ~ never mind the crazy lady gawking at me!” 😂 Too cute, and yes... signs of independence and self-preservation already. Precious! 

Our grandson, Jax is using the snippy cups now ~ as much to empty the contents by shaking it upside down, as to drink from them. Jodi bought some that are lightly weighted in the base, so they won’t turn over. Doesn’t matter at all! He loves to leave his little puddles in his wake. Gracie manages to keep up with him: “there he goes again... get the spot cleaner!” He just trots off giggling. 

When we made those Christmas Tree Shortbread cookies from the recipe Suz' found, Gracie wanted to decorate hers like her tree in her room. It's pink, of course! So we had to use a little red food coloring in the last batch of vanilla icing, with no swirls. She wanted to use the sugar pearls for ornaments, but Jax would stick those in his ears and/or nose, so we just dotted the pink trees with round dabs of white, shiny icing from a tube. 

I am no professional baker by a long shot! Just have accumulated lots of family, and friend's family recipes over the years. I would wager that you ~ and Ruth Ann ~ are much more talented. One recipe I wish I had is my late MIL's Italian fruitcakes... those were not what we traditionally think of as fruitcakes at all. Individual, log shaped, rolled thin and flaky pastry ~ filled with golden raisins, dates, chopped walnuts, a little red wine... a party in the mouth! The only other person she shared that recipe with, also took it to her grave. 😕 A secret family recipe that I have tried for years to dublicate, but can’t get it right. My MIL used to make those and pass them out each Christmas. I miss them, almost as much as I miss her. I'm trying to pass the torch to my DD and DILs with regard to all of our kids' favorites so they, and their kids can go on enjoying them after I’m gone. 

Oh, I see you skipped the trees and made the other shortbread! Whatever works best for you... including a little dough snatching! 😁 I have to make that recipe, too ~ it's more appropriate for any time at all. I'll make the other in heart shapes for Valentines Day, then clover shaped for St. Patrick's Day. Would not bother with the shapes, were it not for Gracie ~ the holiday diva de jure! Everything must be recognized and celebrated with a party, including Earth Day and Arbor Day when we MUST also plant more trees. 

Have you any grandkids yet, MsLomo? If not, a whole new beautiful experience awaits you! I'm almost as excited for Marcia and Mike's parents as I am for them and little Tyler! Just a few more days now... 🤗 

Thanks for the chat, and here's to your: 

BD2A32E4-0743-41EA-B37E-70D9DA9BAF06.png

Along with all our dear friends! 

~Joy ❤️

Respected Contributor

Thank you, dear Snappy! I shall enjoy the party more than years past, I hope, without the hostess responsibilities. Probably having Suz do my hair (with Anu's pretty comb) for nothing, as it's going to rain. Will take my bubble umbrella, but the frizz is going to manifest just the same. What I need is a head bubble! 😅 

Oh, I bet you're going to thoroughly enjoy Mary Poppins!! James and Suz' took Gracie and her best friend to see it. I hear it's so good ~ very true to the original. Plus you'll get to see D-ick Van D-ke! I just love his spirited zest for life, but we're not allowed to spell out his name here. So silly!  

Are you going to eat your black-eyed peas tomorrow? How I loathe them, but I still have a spoonful with stewed tomatoes in my mother’s memory. She always insisted! Remember how Bobbisue used to insist that we all choke down 12 grapes at the stroke of midnight? 😍 I never could manage it, and even she once gagged on them. 

LOL! I'm sure you occupied that bathroom all evening following the tests. If I managed to hold it long enough for the ultrasound... I know I would have then, immediately gone to the nearest restroom so fast it would have split particles! 

It's great that Shirley is going back into battle in such good health otherwise, and much more prepared this time. As is her family. TG this chemo treatment won’t cause further neuropathy, and I pray it sends the cancer cells packing.

Cancer, cancer everywhere... even several of our beloved (by me) Chincoteague wild ponies had to be euthanized due to a nasty fungus cancer recently. Never heard tell of it before. 

Aww... maybe little Sunny is going to be more shy, reserved and sensitive by nature. An introvert like you! None of mine are, but my sister yet is somewhat ~ like our mother was. The good Lord makes all kinds for His own purposes. I recently watched a very good sermon by pastor James Merrit on TV covering that very thing. I so enjoy his teaching. Are you familiar with him? 

You take care, too ~ rest assured we're all praying for Shirley and your dear self. Enjoy the movie with DD! I will check back soon. 

Love Always, 

~Joy ❤️

Trusted Contributor

Hello, friends and a most blessed 2019 to each of you! 

3BDD5E2F-731D-4DD6-8AF6-E9A0F69282A0.jpeg

Above all, I pray for our Peace that is not of this world, and that It will sustain us through whatever unfolds in this coming year - and beyond. I don’t have any unrealistic expectations just because the calendar year rolled over. There will be trials and tribulations, as in any other year. I no longer bother with resolutions either....just continue to do the best I can to lead a purposeful life, within that Peace. If you do make resolutions, I wish you all the best with your goals! 

Darrell had to work last night, so Jacob and I spent a quiet evening at home, after attending church services, and a dinner of finger-foods - his favorite. I will post one recipe below, that is good for anytime. Not just for entertaining. I hope you're enjoying those cookies, MsLomo! I sure do love shortbread and would like one or two now with my coffee. 

Snappy, I want to see Mary Poppins, too! Have to find someone to go with, since I don’t enjoy going to the theater alone. Neither Jacob or Darrell are interested, and I don’t want to push it on them. How did you like it? I'm so happy for you that you enjoyed such a nice time with your sister and her children before her next chemo treatments begin. It sounds as though she is both ready and willing to go the limit. That should be a great comfort for you and the family, though I know you dread it for her. I pray this new type is more gentle on her. Maybe she won’t even lose her hair. Not everyone does, but she'll have nice wigs, if so. Let us know when your own test results are in. 🙏

Friends, thank you all for your prayers for baby Martin and his family. The verdic is in. Sadly he has Cystic Fibrosis. Michelle had an uncle who died from that at a young age - just out of HS. The doctors are telling her that the prognosis is better now, but Martin already has a slight lung and sinus infection that they're treating, in addition to the feeding and hydrating tubes. He also has something they refer to as “fatty stools”. I'm not sure what that is yet, or what they can do for it. I have to do some reading, since I don’t want to tire Michelle out with all the explanations. He will require a lot of medical care for his entire life. Very expensive care. Please keep those prayers going up for them, and thank you in advance. 

I'm thinking of Gloriajean's daughter, Darla and I continue to pray for her relief from chronic pain. 🙏 

Also praying for safe travels home for Anu and family....as well as the round trip for Marcia, Mike baby Tyler! When we popped over to see him, through the nursery window, after evening church services, he was sleeping so sweetly! Jacob said that it's curious how he looks a lot like Mike to him. He understands that he's being adopted, and he even suggested that we could adopt one of those babies. That really shocked me! More and more, he slowly seems to be coming out of his own little world. 

But, yes, Marcia....he still became quite over-stimulated at Christmas. He likes to play Santa and hand out everyone's gifts. It took him so long, because he kept finding ways to prolong the process. I’m thankful my family guests already understand, but I think next year, if possible....I'll invite guests either before or after the big day. That will be easier on everyone - including me. I tend to fret for everyone's sakes, so I get a migraine. Had to go to bed after dinner with a cool cloth over my eyes. 

Back to work now. Have a nice evening, friends! 

❤️ from Agnes

Trusted Contributor

Crispy Panko Shrimp with Cocktail Sauce

D1F89B2E-9BBC-4B1B-A4FD-13A19F941708.jpeg

Ingredients
* 1 1/2 lbs extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
* 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
* 1 Tbsp Dried Parsley Flakes
* 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 tsp Garlic Powder
* 1 tsp Paprika
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
* 1/8 - 1/2 tsp Ground Cayenne Red Pepper, to taste
* 3 large egg whites
* 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
* Olive oil cooking spray
* Minced fresh parsley, for serving (optional)

Cocktail sauce (store-bought can be substituted)
* 3/4 cup ketchup
* 1 1/2 Tbsp prepared horseradish
* 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
* 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Instructions
1. For the sauce: Whisk all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Set aside.

2. For the shrimp: In a shallow dish whisk together panko and parsley.  In second a separate shallow dish whisk together flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. In a third shallow dish whisk egg whites until slightly frothy.

3. Working with one piece of shrimp at a time (use one hand for the flour and egg and the other hand for the dry panko, it's not as messy that way), dip each piece in flour mixture then turn to coat opposite side, gently shake off excess. 

4. Transfer to egg whites, dip and turn to coat both sides, let excess run off. 

5. Transfer to panko mixture, dip and lightly press to get crumbs to adhere then turn to opposite side and press. Transfer to a large plate. Repeat until all of the shrimp have been coated in mixtures.

6. Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. 

7. Add half of the shrimp and cook until golden brown on bottom, about 3 minutes, spritz tops of shrimp lightly with olive oil cooking spray then carefully turn and cook opposite side until golden brown on bottom and shrimp is opaque and cooked through, about 2 - 3 minutes longer. 

8. Transfer to a platter, repeat process with remaining half of the shrimp. Serve warm sprinkled with parsley, if desired, and serve with cocktail sauce.

Trusted Contributor

Hello, ladies! May the New Year bring us and our loved ones many blessings ... and the right stuff to get through any trials with grace. Yes, realistically, those are sure to come, too. 

Agnes, I'm so sorry to learn that little Martin has Cystic Fibrosis. That is a very tough break, and I'll continue to pray for his treatments to be successful. Also for Michelle’s entire situation. 

Snappy, you know we'll continue to hold you and Shirley close in our daily prayers, too. The last treatments obviously just sent the cancer into remission ... may these destroy every cancer cell in her body forever! 

Marcia, tomorrow is the big day!!! I know you and Mike are beside yourselves with excitement to go and take your baby son, Tyler Owen home. I pray for your safe travels and no long flight delays. 

I'm sorry to cut this short, but must get to my first PT session for my knee. Thankful the swelling didn’t return and the orthopedic surgeon doesn’t feel that I need any surgery at this time. He said to not rule that (TKR) out, though, in the next few years. 

I'll be back when I have more time to chat. Love and God's blessings to each of you and your families! 

-Selah 😘