Trusted Contributor

To Cute t, also known as Devia,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!  

Best wishes for a great day and year ahead!  May you have cake today (and lots of it!)!

Trusted Contributor

Dear Snappy and friends- a blessed Palm Sunday to all who observe, and happy Sunday to everyone!

I really fell behind here and elsewhere, including email. We lost cable and internet for a couple of days during that last snow storm. Over a foot we got and I really hope that's the last we see of Old Man Winter for a long time. Be gone, I say!

I had to postpone my MRI until Friday due to the roads being so bad. Still waiting to hear of the results.. not expecting any good news there anyway, so happy to wait to hear how much more the RA has advanced. 

In catching up here.. besides my prayers for you and your loved ones flying up- including for dear HiLo (thank you, Jubilant!), enjoying all the graphics and photos, music video, trailers, recipes- and rejoicing in Marcia's happy news.. I find myself stuck on one thing: 

Sticky Toffee Pudding

image.jpg

Selah brought this temptation on me. 😈 I haven't had it for years and I don't know that I've ever had the authentic Scottish variety.. but now I must have some. Even if two spoonfuls. 

I did make some snacks that I'll take down to share for our Christian movie viewing in the commons, following our Palm Sunday feast.. but I know there will be no sticky toffee pudding in sight. The recipe is not at the link, Selah! Just the tempting picture. I won't call you a "foodie tease," if you post it here or email it. Otherwise.. 

Snappy, I hope you hear soon that it's only the medication causing your potassium to rise- and that it can be better controlled. Awful to feel so weak and breathless, I know! So glad you have the walker- I use one, too, when I'm not in my chariot. The last thing we need to do is fall and break something!

I am thanking the good Lord that your DD came through her surgery safely and is already getting around so well in less pain. What will they do now for your son's wife? She must be in no debilitating pain, since she's traveling.. but can she walk on the knee? I'll continue to pray for solutions for her. 

This site is flipping out even worse than usual. Better send this with my fingers crossed that it goes through. 

My love to each of you ladies! ❤️

Trusted Contributor

For cute t/Devia.. 💜 🎉🍧

image.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Hey, cute t .....

486BCED2-B129-490E-96FB-51395DB81025.jpeg

Lovely lady!!! 🌹

Trusted Contributor

LOL @LurkyLoo!! 😂 The site is “flipping out” and she's having a sticky toffee pudding melt down over there, despite or because of all the snow. 

@SelahG, you better get on it ASAP with that recipe. It's looking doomy for you. She's pulled the Mother Angelica card! 

CB8607CB-1CCF-4EB8-83C6-BF642D91E1BE.gif

@snappyfrappy, thanks for letting us know that your DD came through so well! I love her plans for walking the dog. She really has it all together! I hope you're feeling better by now and enjoyed your weekend. Sorry about your DIL's knee though. I've heard of this before, with the lack of range. It appears to be permanent for my cousin-in-law, and she did have many weeks of PT. I hope at least she has less pain. 

We had a cookout Sat, but I still made Marcia-Marcia's colcannon as a side. So it apparently also goes great with Texas BBQ. I made double portions. None was left! 😳 I don’t even think the men or boys noticed the cabbage. Mia did, but then she likes it unless it's just boiled. 

Hi, MsLomo and Issy! Have a great week, everyone! ❤️

Even though.....

3FA71E82-B581-4EC0-92D7-E4FC115EBBF3.jpeg

🙄😜😂

Trusted Contributor

😊 Stopping by to wish Cute a very, very...

95BB8887-2667-4737-9EF9-FA615CBAF2D0.jpeg

.....and many, many more!!! 💐

Respected Contributor

cute, I join all the others to wish you a happy, albeit belated birthday!! You young thing....Were you out in Maybelline waving to your fans??? How come they don't have a parade for YOU? Your town is party city, can't think of a better person to celebrate.

Hi MsLomo, Lurky, Anu, agnesann, Issy, bath, HiLo, Selah, Rowan, WaJa...praying...and all whose names I've unintentionally omitted!

Today is DD's 62nd birthday. Wow. She is doing better all the time. Yesterday her hubby brought her a big bouquet of balloons and lunch from Panera bread. Score!

Today he's at work, but her friends are stopping by. When I called to sing to her, one was there and they were going to *bucks for what someone calls a "fatachino". It's free on her birthday.

DS and DDIL made it home safely from AZ and were glad to sleep in their own amazingly comfy bed. She needs to work harder on PT at home and knows it, but we all do less when we are on our own.

Lurky, even though your MRI results aren't what you would hope, perhaps the new doc will have a better method of helping you. We can pray to that end. Isn't it awful when we lose our internet and cable? I know we did just fine when they didn't exist, but we are spoiled these days.

My doctor's nurse called today to say my potassium level is elevated and it's because of the Bactrim. I go back a week from today for fasting blood work. I'll see what that shows and then call the uroloigst about another antibiotic that won't have that side effect. Trouble is, I'm allergic to all the big guns except Cipro which they want me to NOT use trying to prevent a super bug that will not go away.

DD#2 has her Easter vacation next week. So glad for her.

I love having her here, of course, and am always relieved when she can get some rest. The K classes are putting on a program for their parents on Friday morning. The girls will be wearing bonnets they have decorated, and the boys have brightly colored hats with a flower on them.

LOL. Best part is they go home at noon after it's over!!

Happy spring,

snappy Heart

Trusted Contributor

Oh my goodness, cute t! 😳

2B9576C6-B992-4206-BB9C-412DCE595917.jpeg

I hope it was everything you wished for and more! 😍

It certainly sounds like your DD1 had a terrific one, Snappy! Including the “fatichino.” 😅 I thank the Lord for prayers answered on her behalf, and I also applaud her bold determination. Surgery, rehab, PT ... all of it is so daunting to me. She just powers on through like a champ! I put my spinal surgery off for way too long, which caused the complications. Some I yet live with and likely always will. 

I hope your Dr can prescribe something safe and effective to help you feel better before the big April party — with the visit from your baby girl. 🙏 Happy you got the rain you needed, and some snow in the mountains, too. It's a beautiful, warm day here today. 

Anu, I'm LOL, too! Yeah, bring your tomato plant in, girl — doom is on, if I can’t find a sticky toffee recipe for Lurky! I better get right on that. I'll have it by tonight, Lurky. Have to go to the eye doctor shortly ... Need new readers at least. Hope that's all he finds. 

I watched both episodes of Call the Midlife. Such a satisfying program. I was so sad for the stroke victim, but glad her hubby grew a spine. 

I have heard that Joy and her group made it safely to Israel and were so far having a wonderful time. 

No new news on Hilo yet, but since her family have stepped up to help her, I'm feeling relieved. Mainly, I know the Lord is with her, as she dwells in Him. 

Issy, best wishes to Simone with the new budding romance! 🌹 Spring is in the air!  Take care and don’t work too hard.

Have a fabulous Wednesday, ladies!! I'll check back soon. 

😘

Trusted Contributor

Hi, friends! Happy Friday Eve as I have come to call Thursdays. 😜  Hope you're all doing well and enjoying nice weather. I've been filling in a bit for Joy on her usual charity route work. Actually it's two of us, since her friend, Sarah has done this for years and I’m still something of a noob. I'm meeting even more people in the community. Those who typically are unable to attend church services any longer due to disabilities or other situations in their lives. Our pastor will ride along with us on Sat to visit with them, too. Makes it a little nicer for them during the Easter season. We are taking provisions for their dinner and fresh flowers for the tables, and he will offer them Communion and pray with them. 

Otherwise nothing new here, but I have to get things together to have our taxes filed yet. Glad your daughter gets a break from teaching, Snappy! (Rowan does, too, but still has to work toward those mental health initiatives down in NC.) Wish I had off a week for Easter, or even a 3 or 4 day weekend like many get. It sure would help! At least Jacob gets the week off from school and he's excited to spend most days with Suz' and Gracie. The other two with Becky's brother, CB on his big ranch. I hope the weather will stay nice so he can do the things they have planned with CB's grandsons. It's hot here today and brewing up a storm, I think. 

Did you get some spiffy new readers, Selah? They alone are not inexpensive, believe me. I kept my old ones to use in the kitchen because the frames are still fine and they are strong enough to read a quick recipe. Speaking of which.....

I made the cupcakes, MsLomo!!! They are as close to divine as any earthly food can be! It's the only chocolate cake recipe I'll ever need. Darrell said: “That’s it - pure perfection!” I'm using it to make my Easter cake this time. 

Here's the recipe for any others interested: 

71BD33CE-F073-4AA4-B1B4-31007719862C.jpeg

“PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” Chocolate Cake

INGREDIENTS
* 2 cups sugar
* 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
* 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup milk
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1 cup boiling water

DIRECTIONS
* 1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

* 2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.

* 3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. Makes 12 servings.

* VARIATIONS:
* ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350° F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.

* THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.

* BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup fluted tube pan. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.

* CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.

* "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
* 2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
* 3 cups powdered sugar
* 1/3 cup milk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

* Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
* Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

I'm going to try to decorate it this way, but use the different colored Cadbury eggs, rather than chocolate squares. 

9B2E99CF-974C-4656-9AFF-5E38EE1665E3.jpeg

If I run short on time, I can always leave it plain and use my topper. 

03E1BA97-B139-409D-B149-DDA76385C394.jpeg

The couple of dinner guests we're having won’t mind.....especially once they taste the cake! TY, MsLomo - from my family and I again. Are you cooking a big Easter dinner? I'll be serving oven roasted chicken, gravy, mashed potatoes, peas with baby onions and hot rolls with herb butter that I have frozen into flower patties using my cake decorating tip. They'll look pretty until they melt. 

Wishing you all a ..... 

EE05D0B2-D52E-4C30-A2B0-5F62A8166C05.gif

With love from Agnes 💗

Respected Contributor

Hi Selah, yesterday I was thinking about your back surgeries. That's when I first met you. Sorry you may have lasting complications...sigh.

DD had her bandages removed yesterday and can shower now...happy day. She uses the walker outside for stability, but indoors, she is supposed to stand up straight, use her glutes and a normal gait. That's not easy to do, but she's working at it. She will have PT 3 times a week for a month.

She already feels so much better. Is still sleeping in her fabulous chair in the den. Can't quite get her leg high enough to be in her bed, but that will come.

Her friends are showing up once or twice a day and when they do they walk Maggie. That's the best thing they could do for her right now.

My sister's DD posted a notice that her mom had finished her chemo and how proud she is of her. Today and tomorrow she takes oral chemo and that's it. A daily shot for the next 6 days. Last I heard they will do a PET scan in July to see if the cancer is anywhere. If it is, she won't hesitate to do more chemo, but we all pray it will not be necessary.

Right now the hardest thing for me is a very crabby low back. It hurts all the time. I'll tell the doc next week if it's still like this.

It's quite warm here also. Today the baby is 9 month old. I texted her mom, and hoped for a new pix, but not so far.

Hope this Good Friday and Easter are especially meaningful to you.

snappy Smiley Happy