Honored Contributor

Re: Your 'treasured memory items''?

I don't have much, really.  When I was a young girl my Dad gave to me 2 or 3 little items of costume jewelry.  I treasured them so much.  My apartment was broken in to many years ago and lots of things were taken, including most of all of my jewelry.  Of course they had to take these items from my Dad who had passed away when I was very young.  Also, many other jewelry items which were gifts from people were stolen.  It was heartbreaking as you can never replace these things.  I have a few small items from my Mother who has been gone for several years now.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  Same thing happened to me.  My house was broken into many years ago and all the jewelry was taken, which included some items from my mother and also my diamond engagement ring.  Heartbreaking, for sure.  Nothing was ever recovered.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Regular Contributor

The day my mother passed in 1993 I put her wedding on and have never taken it off. 

Of course now I can't get it off!! 

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella 

Yes, it was just heartbreaking!  I still think about those things from my father and how excited he was to give them to me and how thrilled I was to get them.  I had many items from other people, a lot of them have passed away, and it just makes me sick.  None of my items were ever recovered either.  You are never really the same after something like this happens to you...... 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Flatbush wrote:

I have my  Grandmother's gold bangle bracelet embossed with her birth name initials, her tiny gold earrings that she wore when a baby, and her gold locket.

I never met her since she was murdered when she was only 24 years old.

@Flatbush 

Oh my goodness. Heart breaking.  I am so very sorry for your family!

Honored Contributor

The saddest post is from Flatbush, whose mother was murdered.  Kind of puts material things in their place, doesn't it?  I have only a few things, estate sales disposed of most items.  I have a flat soup ladle from my great aunt, with one of those old red plastic handles.  I also have her diamond ring, which she had made from her two husbands rings, both passed on.  From my grandmother I have a black onyx pin that I had made into a pendant. I have my mother's wedding band, which I had set with a Diamonique.  My sister wanted the diamond to reset.  Yet the item I see daily, as it sits on my kitchen island, is a blue bail canning jar filled with pennies and a few marbles.  

Esteemed Contributor

My dad had two wedding bands....the one he was married with and a newer one he and mom bought for their 25th wedding anniversary. It was his good wedding band that he wore on weekends and has a few diamond chips in it. He passed away going on seven years ago. I have the weekend band and wear it on my index finger. My mom still has the one he got married in.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

@depglass 

Yes, it was/is still sad and my Mother never forgot seeing  her Mother (my Grandmother ) dead. My Mother was only 5 years old at that time.

Super Contributor

I have a few as well and cherish them!

My beloved Nannys' birthstone ring

A beautiful porcelain music box ,a beautiful necklace my aunt had given to me.

I also keep bday cards ...love reading them and reminiscing...

I do cherish them ....I will pass them down too my children...
Valued Contributor

I have a turquoise colored small pottery vase made in Vermont that was given to my parents by a close friend when they were married. The wedding was tiny, in a little side chapel of their church, attended by both mothers and the best man and bridesmaid. My dad was in his army uniform and my mom wore a pretty suit on her slender figure. Shortly after, my dad returned to active duty as the war continued.

I also have my dad's Bronze Star and Purple Heart from his infantry service in the South Pacific. He was very humble and always said, "The real heroes are the ones who never came home. I just did what any decent man would do."

I have to believe that I will be reunited with these sweet people once again some day. I miss them so.