Honored Contributor

We did something similar with our condo.  We first bought a smaller 2 bedroom on the newest side of the complex.  After a few,, it just felt too small.  It had a galley kitchen which I didn't like and a dining area instead of a dining room.   One day I was in the laundry room chatting with a lady who mentioned that she and her husband were selling and wanted a fast sale so they could move out of state.  I asked if hubby and I could see it and that evening, we walked over and we loved everything about it.  Including the location.  The guys talked and when we left, we knew we were going to buy.   To make a long story short,  hubby spoke with a realtor he knew who showed our condo 2 days later and that couple made an offer on the spot.  They were pre-approved for a mortgage.  We closed on the sale of our condo and the purchase of the new one a 5 weeks lat

r.  It was so fast, it was crazy.   And now, we are considering buying a house.  No real plans and it might not happen but a yard for our grands would be lovely.

Honored Contributor

We decided long ago that we would upsize when we retired to have our own space, have more room in general, and have room to have people stay comfortably if they want.  

We bought new furniture and started looking at houses a couple years before we retired. 

We didn't need a lot of extra space when we worked becaue we weren't there that much--and we had no time to look for or move to another house.  We were working, traveling, being gone on weekends to take care of aging relatives, and out a lot.  But in retirement, it's good to spread out more!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

So glad you found what you wanted.  I can't move because the house was built around my antiques!  

I looked at that large house, maybe my friend enjoys over night stays, I don't.  I need down time.  I enjoy working and won't stop.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

We've never done anything like that. It sounds like everyone's happy. As far as moving in December, I wouldn't have any issues with that. 

There are 2 larger homes on our street. Both were up for sale after we bought our small home. We debated looking at them, but we decided that we have plenty of room for the two of us and a dog. 

Our current next door neighbor sold her home on our street and moved into the home right beside it. She and her family were living in a small house next door to her parents. When her mother passed away and her father was ready to move out, she moved into her childhood home next door. 

Respected Contributor

Our house story. We were living in a house that we had outgrown. Were looking but not finding. My friends brother came over and said he couldn't afford it and had to sell. When my husband came home I told him. I was excited he wasn't. Went to see it and I loved it. He said we couldn't afford it. After much discussion we would buy and sell the  one we were in. I put an add in the paper on Labor Day weekend. I was a ranch. One couple came and brought it it is a Cape Ann. Unfinished second floor. Still here can't leave it. We both feel the same.