Esteemed Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Wasn't there a lawyer involved in the sale of the property?   I still don't understand how the seller has any right to the lot after the sale?    Was that a contingency to the sale of the property?     That seems like a disaster waiting to happen.  

Once the property is sold, the seller should have no right to the property.   

Yes. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Allegedly 'could be' that they are afraid of him(?).  We really don't know their family's private dynamics.......I'd 'steer clear' and go to the city/town's building dept.  See/hear what they have to say about the situation.

I am actually getting this feeling also. It's a very unsettling feeling. I remember when we bought the property that my dad was told that the son and mom don't really tell his dad everything. We never really pressed or asked why. I mean maybe his dad has a mental issue or something. But my dad has had lots of very polite conversations with him and he seems to be fine. He is 75 and is about 10 years older then his wife.

My sisters boss at the builder is trying to offer advice also. She has experience with this kind of thing.

Honored Contributor

If 'That guy's' demands aren't in what you've signed, then just go ahead and build according to what you've signed, as long as it's approved by the city/county building department.  ............... Forget about what 'he' says and what he's demanding.  I'd have an attorney review it, though.  The attorney will read what you've signed and possibly send a copy to your local building inspectors' office, just to cover all bases.   Then, I'd just go ahead and begin building. ..........  Otherwise, I'd probably sell the property and build elsewhere.  Find a new site where the neighbors aren't having any major problems.  (Who would want to live anywhere near those 'other' neighbors, anyway?)   

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

If 'That guy's' demands aren't in what you've signed, then just go ahead and build according to what you've signed, as long as it's approved by the city/county building department.  ............... Forget about what 'he' says and what he's demanding.  I'd have an attorney review it, though.  The attorney will read what you've signed and possibly send a copy to your local building inspectors' office, just to cover all bases.   Then, I'd just go ahead and begin building. ..........  Otherwise, I'd probably sell the property and build elsewhere.  Find a new site where the neighbors aren't having any major problems.  (Who would want to live anywhere near those 'other' neighbors, anyway?)   

We aren't at the point of thinking of selling it. My parents are 64 and almost 65. I can't inagine how long it would be to find new property. Not to mention having to sell this property first. They aren't spring chickens.
We can't build until they sign. The builder is under a legal obligation they can't do that. It could get them In trouble. This very possibly could come down to getting a lawyer and them having to mediate a meeting. HIs mom is not answering texts. At least the couple my dad received are from their son and obviously not from them. He has no say in any of this. So it may come down to forcing them with a lawyer to sit down. There are a couple things my dad is willing to change because of the restrictions. But he can't change them unless he sits down with them so he can figure out what he wants.

In my gut I am just waiting for us not to build over there. It always seems nothing good happens to me and this all seemed good to be true. I will say a big prayer tonight this gets resolved. He is just mad because we didn't let him build our house. He screwed the one neighbor over their when he built his house. They used to be friends now they don't talk. Our two actual neighbors are very nice and we have a great relationship with them. We have a lot in common even though they are younger. We all have golden retrievers. 

Honored Contributor

'I just knew' that there's some type of an underlying reason why he's being so obstinate.  Sort of a 'pay-back' because you hired someone else to build your house.  ........... Very childish, imo.  Well, we are all wishing you the best of luck.  Keep us posted..........this has been a very interesting thread, to say the least. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I feel like this family took everyone's money for the property and is now holding them hostage. To me it's stealing. Sounds like they are scammers.

I have such a headache. My mom is a mess. She doesn't handle confrontation well. My dad is stressed but he handles it differently. He is bullying him right back. I really feel sick today about this. Why does excitement seem to always lead to heartache and disapointment. Please say a prayer for my family that this gets resolved. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

'I just knew' that there's some type of an underlying reason why he's being so obstinate.  Sort of a 'pay-back' because you hired someone else to build your house.  ........... Very childish, imo.  Well, we are all wishing you the best of luck.  Keep us posted..........this has been a very interesting thread, to say the least. 

The lot they just sold a couple of weeks ago he tried to get them to build their house. Luckily everyone warned them. Our one neighbor bought the one house last oct. This man actually tried to interfere with the sale of that house by trying to get them to buy one of the other lots instead. He did some crazy stuff when that neighbor bought the property. Everything with this man has been good up until we started this process. He started intimidating as soon as he started seeing surveyors and everything over there.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I keep thinking of all the beautiful stuff I have got for my room. It is making me want to cry. 

Honored Contributor

Try to take deep breaths and try to relax for a couple of days.   I'm wondering if this situation is illegal in some way re: your parents' rights to peacefully live their lives as  citizens and property/home owners.  Maybe call a few local attorneys for free consultations, usualy a half hour.  They will advise you re: possible remedies, and also whether or not they will take your case.  You can shop around, get an idea of what to do about the situation.  Since they know the law and are experienced in many matters, maybe a couple of attorney's letters will solve your problem.  It could be as easy as that.  Wishing you well.

Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Try to take deep breaths and try to relax for a couple of days.   I'm wondering if this situation is illegal in some way re: your parents' rights to peacefully live their lives as  citizens and property/home owners.  Maybe call a few local attorneys for free consultations, usualy a half hour.  They will advise you re: possible remedies, and also whether or not they will take your case.  You can shop around, get an idea of what to do about the situation.  Since they know the law and are experienced in many matters, maybe a couple of attorney's letters will solve your problem.  It could be as easy as that.  Wishing you well.

I am trying to not get to upset. My dad gets what is called free legalez through work. He can contact them and they can give some free initial advice.

On a little bit of a good note. If you want to call it that. In their letter today they did say they were willing to meet my parents at the builders. Which is a neutral site. When my sisters boss gets that email tomorrow maybe something will be set up.

My sister said when she started reading the email she started fuming she was so mad. She also said that her boss will not interfere with these kind of situations. But when we can't get them to sit down how do we know exactly what the issue is. I mean today he was composing that the neighbors of lots one and two can't see our front porch only the garage. Really. There is nothing in the covenants that gives them the right on where we put or position our house.  Only that it has to be at least so many feet back which it is more then that.

Right now I want to cry and take all my stuff back I got for my bathroom and my bedroom.  It's like I feel like I will not need it.