Super Contributor

Re: Who gets to make the final decision about funeral arrangements?

As his wife, you need to do what you want so you have no regrets down the road.   Your daughter will understand that if/when it comes time for her to make arrangements regarding her own husband.

There is a reason why legal next of kin is only one person - because more than one creates conflict in any decision to be made.

Honored Contributor

KathyPet .... I  hope you are managing .... and am sending you good thoughts and hugs.        Heart

Honored Contributor

KathyPet, I hope you are doing okay and taking care of yourself.

If your DH did not share his wishes with you re. funeral arrangements it is your responsibility to make arrangements you feel are appropriate as his next of kin.  Hopefully, this can be in consultation with immediate family  (i.e., your daughter), but it is your ultimate responsibility to select the arrangements you want for him.

A friend recently shared her feelings re. her DH's funeral arrangements.  She said she listened to her son and daughter and did what they suggested as opposed to what she would have wanted, and is now sorry she did so.  Her husband's funeral was held at a large university chapel (their home church did not have sufficient seating) and did not include a receiving line at the chapel either before or after the service.  She regrets this.  Following the funeral a luncheon was held in their home church ten miles from the university and many of the people who attended the funeral did not attend the luncheon so she had no opportunity to speak with many of DH's friends, coworkers and associates.  She regrets this too.

I give you this information and hope it is helpful for you in making future decisions re. DH.  You are the next of kin and it is your responsibility to make decisions accordingly.   

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~