Honored Contributor

Re: When other people take away your happy

@house_cat wrote:

Find the author on Facebook and send her a message explaining who you were, and what you intended to say to her. I'll bet you get a response :-)

This is very good advice. 

I think people in the public eye get used to having 'fans' if you will, come to them and be overly emotional or less than coherent because they seem to know they do make a real impact on some people's lives, and in the heat of the moment, those people don't always find a way to verbalize it in the way they want to. 

I  think it comes with the territory when you are 'famous' or known and have a following, and I'm sure they understand and appreciate the emotion, even if the delivery isn't always as it should be.

Trusted Contributor

@Bird mama

Hi, also from Michigan and a Diana Lewis fan. I would have reacted the same way! Definitely a class act she is/was and raised a beautiful and talented daughter, who's following in Mama's footsteps. Neat story, thanks for sharing 😊

⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

First of all I need you to not feel awkward about the way you reacted with your favorite author @mintedrose.   I'm sure that the minimal amount of conversation that you were able to get in before you were so rudely interrupted conveyed to the author that her writing makes a difference to people.  You didn't do anything wrong, you showed emotion which is being human.

I grew up in Detroit and my family was a channel 7 action news family.  There was a newscaster and anchor named Diana Lewis.  I grew up watching her deliver my news for a very long time.

I had to be maybe in my 30's when my sister and I were at the Michigan State Fair.  Guess who I saw doing a live news blurb in the distance?  Diana Lewis!  I grabbed my sister and said OMG do you see what I see, it's Diana Lewis!

I walked over casually and waited for her to finish her quick segment.  I then stepped forward, babbled about how much she meant to me, told her she was more beautiful in real life, complimented her on her champagne colored suit and matching leather pumps and then started crying.  Somewhere in between I told her she smelled like heaven and she hugged me.  I was crying, she was crying, we were hugging and by then a crowd gathered at the fair. 

My sister looked at me like I had grown a unicorn horn out of my head because I had done something so out of character - I literally fanned out in public. 

I didn't care what anybody thought of what I had done.  Diana Lewis appreciated the genuine emotion.

I suspect it was the same for your author.  You demonstrated that she made a difference in your life.

I love your description of your experience.  You gave me a laugh  when you wrote your sister looked at you like you had grown a unicorn horn out of your head. Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@mintedrose wrote:

I went to a community event which had some of the authors who's books ive been reading about and following. There was one particular one whom i love dearly because reading her books have made a tremenduous difference in my life. It was a three day event but i could only make it one day of it because ive been under the weather. The last day they closed with an amazing peace meditation. I saw my author up front and she didnt look busy so ran up to meet her and to have my book signed and to tell her how amazing she is and tons more.... as i met her and hugged her i couldnt contain my emotions and tears came out and i got very emotional. Soon other people started gathering to meet her as well. I was only there for barely two minutes and asked the lady waiting right next to me if she could take a picture and that lady tells me i need to move very rudely. I was quite aware of the time i was there and dont think i took any more than the one before me. Suddenly, i felt so embarrased that whatever i was gonna say to my person i forgot and jumbled everything that came out and made a total fool of myself while crying and hugging her. Now, i just feel strange as if i wasnt welcomed and they all must be looking at me like whose that strange woman and what is she doing. I feel like i did something bad. I apologized to my author and told her that im usually not so hysterical like this, its just that i love her so much and appreciate her story. i dont understand this, we did an amazing peaceful meditation just before and someone does this to another. This was a rare oppotunity for me to meet her. I didnt cause a scene, i was just overwhelmed with her presence and couldnt help my emotions. I feel a bit embarrassed now and the good i felt due to attending this event just dissappeared and im left with awkward emotions. ;(

@mintedrose  I’m also so sorry this happened to you and hope you don’t let one rude, unfeeling person ruin your experience.

On the bright side, you encountered her rudeness only once. It’s not an ongoing toxic relationship. You continue w/ your genuine feelings of love and admiration and let her stay in her misery. Rise above it. 🌺

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mintedrose

There is only one(1) person that can take away my "happy", and that person is myself.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I think you got that response because you asked a complete stranger to take a picture for you...lol   At an event where, from experience, I know the lines are supposed to move quickly so that everyone gets a chance to greet the author and get their book signed.  With all the weeping and hugging, you did take more time than you think you took and the request to snap a picture just didn't set well with that woman.  I don't know why you were upset.  No one else in the line objected or made an comments.  The author didn't comment.  So..   I don't understand your feelings.  Nothing bad happened to you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mintedrose wrote:

I went to a community event which had some of the authors who's books ive been reading about and following. There was one particular one whom i love dearly because reading her books have made a tremenduous difference in my life. It was a three day event but i could only make it one day of it because ive been under the weather. The last day they closed with an amazing peace meditation. I saw my author up front and she didnt look busy so ran up to meet her and to have my book signed and to tell her how amazing she is and tons more.... as i met her and hugged her i couldnt contain my emotions and tears came out and i got very emotional. Soon other people started gathering to meet her as well. I was only there for barely two minutes and asked the lady waiting right next to me if she could take a picture and that lady tells me i need to move very rudely. I was quite aware of the time i was there and dont think i took any more than the one before me. Suddenly, i felt so embarrased that whatever i was gonna say to my person i forgot and jumbled everything that came out and made a total fool of myself while crying and hugging her. Now, i just feel strange as if i wasnt welcomed and they all must be looking at me like whose that strange woman and what is she doing. I feel like i did something bad. I apologized to my author and told her that im usually not so hysterical like this, its just that i love her so much and appreciate her story. i dont understand this, we did an amazing peaceful meditation just before and someone does this to another. This was a rare oppotunity for me to meet her. I didnt cause a scene, i was just overwhelmed with her presence and couldnt help my emotions. I feel a bit embarrassed now and the good i felt due to attending this event just dissappeared and im left with awkward emotions. ;(

Don’t feel badly mintedrose.  People often get overwhelmed with emotion when they get to meet celebrities. Don’t be too embarrassed. One time, many years ago, I was the manager of a restaurant. It was the busiest lunch day in the restaurant’s history, with customers waiting in line outside. We were also understaffed for this unexpected mob. Walter Cronkite was there with his family. I decided to go over and introduce myself and ask how I could be of service. I was so overwhelmed, I mixed up my Walters.  I called Walter Cronkite, Mr. Disney. The family had the decency not to say anything while I went to get their drinks. As I walked away from the table I realized what I’d done. When I came back; I apologized right away. My face was redder than a tomato. Oh the shame. Looking backward, all I can do is laugh. Edited for typo. My iPad makes up words. The iPad has been fighting with me. It doesn’t like it when I change what it has to say.

Trusted Contributor

@mintedrose wrote:

Oh Ms. Mint-

Don't despair, I know how you feel.  But you know what, who CARES what others think.  We are gonna turn your FROWN upside down to a SMILE.

1) You get to meet an author you love.  I have never had that blessing.

2) Even though you were sick, you did get to go one day, Many people are home bound and could not go at all due to health or even transportation.

3) The RUDE lady was a JERK, we can't help JERKS.  I meet many in my travels but I made up my mind. when I TRAVEL or go places.....I'm not gonna give "THEM" the power to mess me up or get me DOWN.

4) Embarrased for what, your skirt was not in the air where people could see your underwear, ha ha....you were excited just as I would be.

I remember about 20 years ago I was here in DC and saw Michael Landon when Little House on the Praire was popular.  I saw him, similed and said...I was close enough to say hello, how are you, I love your show.....NO....I said....

Do you know who you are???

That's right, how dorky was that ... ha ha....

So just forget about the Jerky lady, focus on the great time you had. 

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree@You are a very strong confident person so of course you would not be upset by much.I think there are many very gentle souls posting here who can easily feel hurt.It can be hard for those of us who can easily move on to understand the hurt but that doesn’t mean that they didnt have a negative experience .

Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby  Diana Lewis could handle Bill Bonds and we all know Bill had some issues.  Glenda is okay - her mother was in a class all by herself.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise