Valued Contributor

When other people take away your happy

[ Edited ]

I went to a community event which had some of the authors who's books ive been reading about and following. There was one particular one whom i love dearly because reading her books have made a tremenduous difference in my life. It was a three day event but i could only make it one day of it because ive been under the weather. The last day they closed with an amazing peace meditation. I saw my author up front and she didnt look busy so ran up to meet her and to have my book signed and to tell her how amazing she is and tons more.... as i met her and hugged her i couldnt contain my emotions and tears came out and i got very emotional. Soon other people started gathering to meet her as well. I was only there for barely two minutes and asked the lady waiting right next to me if she could take a picture and that lady tells me i need to move very rudely. I was quite aware of the time i was there and dont think i took any more than the one before me. Suddenly, i felt so embarrased that whatever i was gonna say to my person i forgot and jumbled everything that came out and made a total fool of myself while crying and hugging her. Now, i just feel strange as if i wasnt welcomed and they all must be looking at me like whose that strange woman and what is she doing. I feel like i did something bad. I apologized to my author and told her that im usually not so hysterical like this, its just that i love her so much and appreciate her story. i dont understand this, we did an amazing peaceful meditation just before and someone does this to another. This was a rare oppotunity for me to meet her. I didnt cause a scene, i was just overwhelmed with her presence and couldnt help my emotions. I feel a bit embarrassed now and the good i felt due to attending this event just dissappeared and im left with awkward emotions. ;(

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Honored Contributor

Re: When other people take away your happy

I'm sorry you were made to feel this way. 🌺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

@mintedroseWhy do other people have to be such a bummer? 

I am sorry you were treated this way especially when you were so vulnerable.

I am sure the author was able to say later how touched she was by the emotions of her fan.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow. It seems like a person can't ever let their guard down.

Sorry this happened to you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

First of all I need you to not feel awkward about the way you reacted with your favorite author @mintedrose.   I'm sure that the minimal amount of conversation that you were able to get in before you were so rudely interrupted conveyed to the author that her writing makes a difference to people.  You didn't do anything wrong, you showed emotion which is being human.

I grew up in Detroit and my family was a channel 7 action news family.  There was a newscaster and anchor named Diana Lewis.  I grew up watching her deliver my news for a very long time.

I had to be maybe in my 30's when my sister and I were at the Michigan State Fair.  Guess who I saw doing a live news blurb in the distance?  Diana Lewis!  I grabbed my sister and said OMG do you see what I see, it's Diana Lewis!

I walked over casually and waited for her to finish her quick segment.  I then stepped forward, babbled about how much she meant to me, told her she was more beautiful in real life, complimented her on her champagne colored suit and matching leather pumps and then started crying.  Somewhere in between I told her she smelled like heaven and she hugged me.  I was crying, she was crying, we were hugging and by then a crowd gathered at the fair. 

My sister looked at me like I had grown a unicorn horn out of my head because I had done something so out of character - I literally fanned out in public. 

I didn't care what anybody thought of what I had done.  Diana Lewis appreciated the genuine emotion.

I suspect it was the same for your author.  You demonstrated that she made a difference in your life.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Valued Contributor

No one can affect you without your permission. I am glad you were able to go and I could feel your excitement through your post. Next time you encounter rudeness just ignore them as if they don't exist and ask someone else to take a photo, etc. If you don't give the rude person a reaction - it really erks them. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Sorry that this happened but don’t allow it to ruin your day...your choice to remember the event with joy or something else.That rude person is nothing to you and should be easy to forget...don’t give her any power over your emotions...she doesn’t deserve it.What-a compliment to the author that you were so emotional and pleased to meet her.I am sure she was touched.

Esteemed Contributor

@mintedrose, I have worked in the entertainment industry for a long time, and I have seen people lose control of their emotions when they meet celebrities they admire more times than I could possibly count.  Many become overwhelmed and completely tongue-tied, and often they cry or babble or blurt out something that clearly was not what they had intended to say.  Believe me, it's very common.  You have no reason to feel badly about it.  At all. 

Even a co-worker of mine (who routinely met and worked with major celebrities) completely broke down in tears when she met someone she had idolized for a long time.  So really no one is immune.

As for the person who "took away your happy", it always astounds me when people who are at an event and share a common interest somehow decide that they're in competition with each other.  I've seen arguments break out because they thought the celebrity gave someone a little more time or because they thought they were somehow more deserving of the celebrity's attention than someone they didn't know.  It's a shame, really, because I've also seen people bond at these kind of events, exchange phone numbers, take photos for each other, etc.  

So........My advice is to hold onto the good things about this experience, and let the rest of it go.  I know it's hard, but try to concentrate on the fact that you did nothing wrong, and no one is entitled to take away your happy.  You met this author and you hugged her, and that's a really wonderful thing!

Honored Contributor

@mintedrose=

Im sure your joy in meeting her meant so much to that author.

And I think the lady who wouldn't take a picture, well you can feel sorry for her.

Because she was unable to feel your joy or emotion and also was thinking of herself only. She wasn't able to share in your enthusiasm or happiness. So really her loss.

She may even have been envious of your emotion and wanted to make you feel bad because she didn't know how to feel what you were.

You just keep on being you.

Some people are just from a different planet altogether!🤨

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Find the author on Facebook and send her a message explaining who you were, and what you intended to say to her. I'll bet you get a response :-)

~ house cat ~