Trusted Contributor

Re: What to do with diamond ring?

I would wait a year, think it over don't rush it!

Trusted Contributor

onscisionsRe: What to do with diamond ring?

@BlueFinch wrote:

@madzonie Very sad to hear about the loss of your son. It's only been a month. Allow yourself adequate time to process everything and grieve.

If you move too quickly to resolve all issues, you may regret your decisions later. Valuables can wait a bit. Do only what you must, at this time.

When you're ready, you'll know it, then just follow your heart, in dealing with his belongings. In the meantime, be sure to focus on healing time for yourself. You will get through this, but you can't rush grieving.

I agree. One month is much too soon. I can't remember where I read it but it said to wait 2 years b/4 making any big decisions. Your mind needs time to process things.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I wanted to thank everyone who posted. I had to take a little break from things as this has been a very difficult situation to deal with. I am going to hold on to the ring for a while and perhaps I’ll have a decision come to me when the time is right. A good thing is that I also found his class ring Which has a beautiful red stone in it. Ruby is his birthstone so I do have a wonderful memory to keep. As those of you who have experienced similar losses know, this is going to take a long time before I feel any sense of normalcy, but again I deeply appreciate all the caring comments.
Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@madzonie Find a jeweler or someone else who will buy it and save the money or donate some to a charity.

@Love my grandkids Be prepared for a jeweler to give you half or less than the apraisal.  

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 You need to direct your response to the OP and not me! I'm not the one with the ring.

Honored Contributor

@madzonie Thank you so much for the update. I think you made a very wise decision. When the time is right, you'll know. How lovely that you have you dear son's class ring.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@panda1234 You need to direct your response to the OP and not me! I'm not the one with the ring.

@Love my grandkids Oh, so very sorry about that please forgive me. 

Esteemed Contributor

SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS FIRST AND FORMOST.

IF IT WAS ME AND MY SON HELD ONTO IT HIMSELF FOR YEARS, IT MUST HAVE BEEN SPECIAL TO HIM.

I, TOO, WOULD HOLD ONTO IT FOR AT LEAST THE TIME BEING.

HE OBVIOUSLY DID NOT WANT TO SELL IT EITHER.

PRAYERS FOR YOU!!!!!!

Valued Contributor

Sell it and go on a trip to his favorite place in his honor!

Valued Contributor

SOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry for your loss!!!!