Honored Contributor

We purchased something from e-bay (DVD). When we received it It was COD. Sent a note to the seller who said they sent it Media Mail and he was not paying any COD.

Talked to EBay and we were told that ebay did not permit this.

Next day we were credited w/ the amt of purchase. I am not sure if out little post office knows what Media Mail is.

We are refusing it.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: What the heck is Media Mail

Isn't media mail a cheaper method to mailing books?

Honored Contributor

Thanks

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

With USPS Media Mail, packages are not zone based and the cost for shipping will rely on the weight and size of the package. USPS permits the addition of extra services such as Tracking, Insurance, COD and Signature upon delivery for this mode of shipping.

https://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

We purchased something from e-bay (DVD). When we received it It was COD. Sent a note to the seller who said they sent it Media Mail and he was not paying any COD.

Talked to EBay and we were told that ebay did not permit this.

Next day we were credited w/ the amt of purchase. I am not sure if out little post office knows what Media Mail is.

We are refusing it.

@Group 5 minus 1 Yes your post office, any post office official post office knows what media mail is.  It is much cheaper way to mail books and informational material and the seller was trying to cheat the post office.  It is illegal to mail other things media mail. 

Super Contributor

According the USPS website, the following items are considered media mail:

• Books (at least 8 pages).
  • Sound recordings and video recordings, such as CDs and DVDs.
  • Playscripts and manuscripts for books, periodicals, and music.
  • Printed music.
  • Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such media.
  • Sixteen millimeter or narrower width films.
  • Printed objective test materials and their accessories.
  • Printed educational reference charts.
  • Loose-leaf pages and their binders consisting of medical information for distribution to doctors, hospitals, medical schools, and medical students.

By the way, if the local post office is opening the packages, that's not permitted. Only certain individuals, like a postmaster or supervisor, can open packages. A clerk or mail carrier cannot. Go to the USPS website for more information. 

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 The USPS website has a full explanation, as someone posted.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just back from the post office. They didn't send it Media Mail.

Super Contributor

Ok. It may not be our business--you can just ignore this. I have some questions about this. You ordered a DVD? The ebay seller sent the dvd COD? If that's the case, then the seller was trying to double charge you. The seller charged you X amount of dollars when you purchased the DVD. Did the seller have free shipping? Did the seller charge you a shipping charge? What method of shipping--first class, priority mail, etc? 

Anyway, the seller charged you X amount of dollars. Then, the seller was trying to gather another X amount of dollars with the COD. That method of mail is used (and I've haven't used COD in many years) when you send, for example, a set of books. The books cost $20 + $10 shipping. So, you would pay the post office $30 (via check or money order) + the post office COD fee. The post office turns around and sends the $30 back to the seller. 

If this is so, I think you need to report the seller to ebay. That doesn't sound right at all. Also, you said that you got back your purchase price. If you paid shipping costs, you should get that back, as well. 

Honored Contributor

@reviewer from sc We had called E-Bay yesterday and they did take care of it. We sent it back. E-Bay told us this is not allowed.