Honored Contributor

Re: What kind of Friend is this?

No longer have time for fair weather friends....to be honest I barely have time for worthy friendships.  Between the commitments at home (care taker, home maker, financial provider) and a demanding more than full time profession, I feel this might be true for many of us....hence a lively chat board.  I am so appreciative of the wonderful people who take a moment to share a slice of their life.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I have people that I consider "friends" that I don't see often because with are both very busy.  We have a nice lunch or dinner and catch up every once in awhile.  I definitely consider them a friend.

I have to add to my previous comment because I did not realize this is all about a Christmas gift.  I don't exchange gifts with my friends but if someone I saw that little of did give me a gift I would just say Thank-you and let it go at that.  I certainly would not expect them to replace a gift that I did not like or did not work out for me.  

Respected Contributor

How does a gift "not work out"?  That sounds like something someone would say when they really just did not like it or want it.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1,

I have really good friends I rarely see, so I don't think there's anything odd about your friendship.   I am not into clingy friendships, and am not interested in being a shopping buddy.   All of my friends are very independent.    

I have a good friend from work of at least 20 years; we've never been to each other's homes, and I've never met her husband.   We call, text, and meet for lunch quarterly to catch up.  Neither of us have a problem with our long standing arrangement.   

I see my closest friend from work 4-5x a year; I think of her like my big sister, but have never been to her house either.   I do know her husband and children, as well as her mother and sisters.   We meet for dinner several times a year, and she stops by occasionally.   We text almost daily and email weekly.  

Even with my best of the best friendships, there's not one I would want to meet for lunch on a monthly basis!

Honored Contributor

Sounds more like an acquaintance.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Could she be thinking you are more concerned with getting a replacement gift than a friendship? I don't think I'd bring up the gift thing again. Granted, I have no idea what happened so I may be completely off base. If so, I apologize. 

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

We use to meet once a month for lunch.  Other than that, she never called nor did I call her.  She gave me a Christmas gift that did not work out and I am still holding it.  She never called to say she has the replacement.  I am wondering if this is really a friendship.  What's your take on it?   Cat Very Happy

What do you want it to be? Maybe you are both kind of expecting the other to call. If you want to have lunch with her, call her. If you are only interested in getting a "replacement" gift, I think that is tacky.

Trusted Contributor

It sounds like you are each mutually invested at the same level in this relationship.  If that has been working for you – who needs a label?  Just enjoy each other when you get together and let it go at that.  There are all types and depths of friendships & relationships throughout a life, and that is a good thing. It keeps life more interesting.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

NOt a very good one IMHO.  WHy do you even bother?

Honored Contributor

@missy1,     It was a popcorn popper that was too big for my microwave.  I thought oh, goody, as my kitchen is small with hardly enough cabinet space.  Then I did talk to her once after Christmas to let her know and the next time I spoke to her she said she found a smaller one.  OMG!  lol

kindness is strength