Honored Contributor

Re: What kind of Friend is this?

@Silver Lining,   If I was interested in a replacement gift I would have called her long time ago.  No, but if it were me on the other end, I would call and say I have the right size or whatever it is.  It's a popcorn popper..  I gave her several gifts for Christmas and 2 were hand cremes from Laura Mercier and she said, to me I hope I like the way they smell.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Friends who lunch.  Could be she is quite busy.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 I wouldn't bother telling her that the gift didn't work out.Forget about it...maybe she is upset with your lack of appreciation for the gift.Why don't you just call her and have lunch if you enjoy her company?

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@missy1,     It was a popcorn popper that was too big for my microwave.  I thought oh, goody, as my kitchen is small with hardly enough cabinet space.  Then I did talk to her once after Christmas to let her know and the next time I spoke to her she said she found a smaller one.  OMG!  lol

OMG and LOL is right - but not in the way you are thinking. 

SMH doesn't seem enough, somehow - but not worth it either. Oy....

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1

I can think of a few words for this person, but "friend" is not 1 of them.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I think we confuse good acquaintances with real friendship.  I,m sure most know the differences between the two.

Honored Contributor

I'm curious as to how you describe it?  I have no idea.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal,   That is what I am questioning myself.  She helped me out when I had surgery but I don't feel closeness that I do with other friends.  I  appreciated everything she has done for me.  It's like I can't put my finger on it.  She had asked me several months ago that she had a pass for me to come to the pool she goes to and when I mentioned I needed to buy a suit she said, don't bother.   I don't know how to take that but I thought it was rude.

Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

It sounds to me like she would like to discontinue your relationship.....take the hint.  Give the popcorn popper to someone that can use it.

A small group of friends that I run with exchange birthday gifts, several years ago I told them to please NOT BUY me anything for my birthday...we do lunch and the birthday girl is treated, that is enough for me.

I do exchange with 1 friend at Christmas, to be honest, I don't need/want anything!!    But she comes to our home for dinner on Christmas day and she would not want to stop the gift giving so I will not say anything about stopping the Christmas gift exchange.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1, is it possible she thinks you're the distant one? She helps you out after surgery and then buys you a fun holiday gift -- but you complain it's too big for your cabinets? That could very easily be perceived as rude.

It sounds like you think you gave her a better holiday gift -- but that is subjective. Gifts are about thinking about someone you care about. There's no reason to exchange with everyone you know.

If you have fun at lunch, keep going. If you like her, maybe see a movie or show sometime. Otherwise, let the relationship wither away.

You can control how you treat her -- if you care for her, treat her well.