Honored Contributor

Re: What do you look for in a close friend?

Integrity, loyalty, compassion and sense of humor.  These are all honorable traits that can build a lasting relationship.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Trusted Contributor

A friend who doesn't start telling you all about themselves when you need them to just listen to your dilemma and empathize.

A friend who doesn't act jealously, for any dumb reason.

Kindness, compassion, intelligence, a zest for life, tolerance, manners and humor.

Lastly, a friend who likes my dogs and doesn't mind a little dog hair when they come over to visit.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had 3 "best friends" in my life. One when I was in my 20s who died of cancer; one in my 30s who is no longer in my life; and my cousin since we reconnected when we were in our 50s. With all three of them it was the same - we just clicked. There was/is just an unspoken loyalty and love - we have shared traits and truly enjoyed being together, and recognized the value of our friendship.

Honored Contributor

hahahaha @house_cat  , you have been tearing it up here but that's what it's for!

Genuine.

Anyoner in my circle must be genuine.    What you see is what you get.

And vice versa.    You must be a friend to have a friend.

Respected Contributor

I don't look for anything. It's an immediate connection, or nothing. I have friends who I have known all my life and am still in contact with, as well as friends I have known 40 yrs., and ten years.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

A sense of humor is first and foremost because I tend to be sarcastic and if they don't understand I am kidding that is a problem.  

Next they have to have interests.  They don't have to be the same as mine but something besides children, grandchildren, etc.   I remember my grandmother used to say "You have to have interests to be interesting." or something like that.  Also I like people with a sense of adventure and like to try new things, foods, etc.  

Honored Contributor

I look for someone who

1. Will talk to you

2. Does not gossip about you to other people. When you tell him/her anything it goes NOWHERE

3. Can laugh at jokes 

4. Will go out and do things (not every day—just every now and then get out and do something. Shop, walk, whatever.

right now this is all i can think of, there maybe more I may add as i think of them

Respected Contributor

I don't look for anything, we just click or we don't.   Of course it would not work out if they were dishonest or not kind.   I think you click if you have the same sense of humor and maybe some of the same experiences.  If I met someone and that had the perfect childhood, perfect husband for all their life and also perfect loving children I would start backing away since I would not even relate to that.  

Honored Contributor

I think a most important quality in a friend --- a real friend --- is being non-judgmental.  You may not agree with me or what I do or what I feel --- but be supportive and don't judge me!!!  In the past, this has been an issue with some friends that has hurt me a lot.  And I think because of this, I have learned that when a friend has an issue, a problem, needs to vent or needs or wants to talk about anything in their life, what they don't need is someone being judgmental of them.  They need --- support --- and understanding --- pure and simple.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

My BFF has been my friend since forever. Our moms were pregnant w/us and lived next door. I look for privacy, compassion and most of all love. My other BFF is DH. 

And there was no one left to speak out for me....