Honored Contributor

What do you Think about.......

a makeup line for women 50 and over?  I personally would love to see someone start a mid/high range (like Stila or Laura Mercier) products that are strictly for 50 and over skin.  Eye shadows and liners that compliment mature women as well as foundations, tinted moisturizers, blush, lipsticks, etc.  If I had the money and resources I would love to start one up.  What do you think?  Good idea?  Bad idea?    HeartCat HappySmiley Wink

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

Re: What do you Think about.......

My vote:  Good idea. 

DIdn't Lauren Hutton do something like that a few years ago?  I seem to remember seeing her on QVC or HSN,  with a line specifically for that.  I never tried it as I was not at that "age". Now I am 50+.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

a makeup line for women 50 and over?  I personally would love to see someone start a mid/high range (like Stila or Laura Mercier) products that are strictly for 50 and over skin.  Eye shadows and liners that compliment mature women as well as foundations, tinted moisturizers, blush, lipsticks, etc.  If I had the money and resources I would love to start one up.  What do you think?  Good idea?  Bad idea?    HeartCat HappySmiley Wink

@Katcat1 @CatLoverDogsToo  Yes. I agree. Lauren Hutton did a makeup line at HSN & Laura Mercier was on QVC a long time ago and no one "caught on" to the concept. Since now they're looking for a younger audience, I fear we've been put out to pasture!!! 😢

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's a great idea.

Buying an "over 50" line means admitting age, though.  Could be a problem for some.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Makeup is makeup.  What's age have to do with it?

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1I think it would depend upon your purpose.  If you'd want to do a service and spend your money to research products for mature skin, there's certainly a need for that.  However, I have a sneaking suspicion that the real money in make-up is in our drawers -  you know the ones with the lipsticks and shadows and foundation we tried and put away thinking we'd use them some day but that day never came.

I was guilty of wasting my make-up dollars that way when I was younger, but now I think if all women bought as little make-up as I have for the last 10 or 15 years, those companies would be gone from mass marketing just as Hutton's apparently is.

We can fault QVC for paying attention to their bottom line, but I'd far rather own their stock than JCP or Sears or Macys right now. 

Honored Contributor

I personally don't see a need for something like that.  I'm 75 and I have normal skin ... makeup from the drugstore or from Avon works just fine for me.  

Women in my family age fairly well.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Makeup for mature women usually focuses on dry skin.  Wouldn't work for me as I have oily skin and I am 63.  I woke up today with a pimple!  

Esteemed Contributor

I kind of agree that makeup is makeup....and there are so many anti aging products within the different brands presented which covers all ages......sometimes i think with aging ....less is more.........and many older women look better without much makeup at all...just the basics...

Honored Contributor

I agree, makeup is makeup, the Q just has to use more mature models when they demo the makeup. At 66 I do not identify with a 24 year old model with big lips and no lines or wrinkles. I think we need to see vendors who are more mature demo the products on models who are mature. I will only believe a product will work for me if I see it on a mature model. Also, same with skin care.