Contributor

Re: What can I do for my friend?

So agree with this! I cut off a friend for this very reason. The light bulb finally went off after many years that it was all about her and never about me. 

Of course she was outraged and accused me of being a lousy friend. 

I am free of her drama and living happily ever after. 

Super Contributor

I think you should just take some time off from communicating with your friend - take a deep breath and cool off.

I have a friend that is somewhat selfish and self-centered.  We've known each other for years but there were times that I just wanted to scream at her and then never have anything to do with her.

HOWEVER, there was one period in my life where she stood by me and supported me and I'll be forever grateful for her help.  So, even though, I may get mad at her from time to time, I'll always try and be a friend to her even though sometimes the friend balance usually tips in her favor.

Keep her as a friend.....I don't think anyone of us should be disposable.

Good luck, Gail

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Honored Contributor

I think it's time to move on.  Your friend doesn't sound like a friend.  Granted most have an off day now and then and may say something insensitive, but it sounds like a pattern with your friend.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

People should understand that when someone is venting their frustration they don't want you to tell them your opinion about what to do - they just want you to agree with everything they say, even if you don't actually agree. 

Then , later, you can ask them if they are ready for a suggestion, maybe they will say ok or maybe not. If they aren't ready to hear it - keep it to yourself. 

Guess a lot of us don't understand. Is it safe to maybe, assume, that if one ends the title of THEIR thread with a question mark(?), asking "what can I do"?

I have never claimed to have ESP, thus I tend to take some words here for their true definition. Even a bit more so if a person is asking " what can I do"?   

Nice to hear: "then, later, you can ask them if they are ready for my suggestion". And then say: " keep it to yourself".

With all the time I've spent in the hospitals, I never ran into 1 single nurse that had ESP. Without fail they would ask me many times "how are you doing today". Think of all the time they could have saved if they had the same ESP that someone here seems to possess.

Will try to make sure to turn "ON" my ESP gene when a person starts a thread asking a question and ending their title with a "Question Mark(?)".

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

My friend apologized via an email last night. She then wrote that her daughter's treatment was not via injection but by laser, called IPL. I wouldn't say this to her but how insane is it to allow someone who isn't a qualified physician do this in a private home? I looked up damage from IPL and it's very serious.What a crazy mess!

Super Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I have a dear friend who lives 3,000 miles away. Her 45 year old daughter went to one of those anti-wrinkle injection parties and allowed a self-professed practitioner to inject her face with heaven-knows-what. The daughter is now in excruciating pain because her skin burns all the time. She cannot go out in the sun at all. The effect has been devastating. She is having a complete mental breakdown.

i've been talking and emailing my friend. I advised her to ask her son and daughter-in-law, who are both physicians, to use their clout to get her daughter the help she needs. I also asked if they can find out exactly what was injected and where it came from. All the daughter has done was to make an appointment with her internist for next week so she can get the proper referrals....neurologist, pain clinic, dermatologist, psychiatrist.

My problem is that my friend is so worried and upset that when I have said or written anything, she lashes out at me. Among other things, she tells me I don't understand how serious the situation is and that she has no other choice but to wait until her daughter sees her internist. I see that anything I say or write will provide my friend with an opportunity to vent but I don't want to be attacked. I get it...no advice, no more suggestions,

I just got over a serious MRSA infection and have other significant health issues that I'm dealing with but I told my friend that when we speak on the phone I will say nothing about my health so that we can focus on her daughter. So what can I do? What should I say or write to her? I find myself saying "I'm so sorry." Is that all I can do?Of course I am terribly sorry for her daughter but I don't like being chastised at every turn. 

@Vivian

I am so sorry for what your friend is going through, I would go to ER or 24 Clinic to get it documented only to help her and others that might become victim's of her actions.

If she is your friend, what you are going through is serious and she should know and be supportive of you please tell her.

I am sorry but to me it sounds like a one sided friendship, that hurts I know.

Please tell her your troubles and if she doesn't react or give you any comfort, please think of moving on.  That is hard for me to say, but I always say Take care of yourself so you can take care of others ~ sunshine&rainbows

I hope everyone gets healthy. Heart

Honored Contributor

She has two physicians in the family, her daughter is 45 year old middle woman, she doesn't need any medical advice from you.  And she doesn't need to hear about your MRSA which has nothing to do with her daughter.  She doesn't need horror stories.  She just needed for you to be a friend and let her vent.  If you are a true friend, call her and apologize for offering unsolicited advice and tell her that you are there for whatever she needs from you....even if it's just to listen.

Esteemed Contributor

Crystaltree. A more recent post noted that my friend apologized for attacking me. I hadn't gone into detail about what she said to me but it was cruel and I'm glad she apologized. I also wrote that I told my friend from the beginning that we would specifically NOT talk about MRSA because her daughter's problems were far more pressing. I only mentioned my illness here because I just went through a very rough time and didn't appreciate the attack.