Honored Contributor

What Is An Item You Feel Lucky To Have Now That

.....you didn't have growing up?Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: What Is An Item You Feel Lucky To Have Now That

A dishwasher!

We had a lot of things that other people didn't have in the 60s like a color TV,  a clothes dryer, air conditioner, 2 cars, but not a dishwasher. My mother did not believe that they really cleaned the dishes.

Honored Contributor

A yard. We lived in an apartment till I was out of Jr. High, and shared what yard that we had. I love having privacy and a place to grow flowers and herbs,

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

A long list!

Central air, microwave, dishwasher, A/C in the car, computer, my own phone- no sharing wth 8 other people, more than one bathroom, more than one TV and a color TV at that.

We always had an above ground pool in the yard that most others did not.

Respected Contributor

A family car.  There were years when times were tough financially.  We did not have a car.  We bummed rides, walked, took the bus or taxi.  Now I have a great Subaru!  LOVE my Subaru Outback!  No, this is not a commercial message.  We really did not have a car for many of the years I was growing up.

Respected Contributor

More than one bathroom. 

Respected Contributor

Air conditioning, a car, a dishwasher and discretionary money. Although we kids didn't realize it at the time, we were poor. 

Also, Cherry Garcia ice cream and Magnum double caramel ice cream bars. 

Respected Contributor

There were many things I didn't have growing up, but since I'd never had them I didn't miss them.

We certainly didn't have central A/C but our house was sorrounded by trees and not as hot as the house I live in now.  I remember I was in 8th grade when my mom finally got a "normal" clothes washer and a dryer.  She had been using a wringer washer.  She considered it quite a luxury to have a dryer!!!  We didn't have a color TV and my mom died at 91 and NEVER bought a dishwasher.  We had one bathroom; now we have 2.5 - such a luxury! Smiley Happy Microwaves weren't around then.  In fact, I didn't own one til until we had been married for years.  (I'm 71.)  We only had one phone (in the kitchen).  It wasn't until I turned 16 that I had my own phone in my bedroom.

My father was 17 years older than my mother and he figured he'd die first, so he saved all he could for my mom.  That savings came in handy so my mom could live comfortably after he died - not lavishly, but comfortably.

We always had clothes on our backs and food on the table... and parents who loved my brothers and me.  We didn't miss out on a thing!  Smiley Happy

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Trusted Contributor

My friends and family! Not exactly "items" but they're what I'm most glad about! Also, all I've experienced and learned. Is that too sappy? Well, how about really nice toilet paper? Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Two things:

(1) The most important. My cell phone. I never ever want to hear the words party line phones. Horrible!

(2) Air Conditioning