Respected Contributor

Re: Wedding Gifts for Young Couples

[ Edited ]
  • I have a few young women who are getting married soon....one has registered for a set of Pottery Barn stoneware,and some registered for plain white dishes from Target. They are sets in boxes, so no buying a place setting, etc. I think registering for fine china is a thing of the past. Most are putting high-end appliances and barware on their lists rather than china.  I have a few full sets of beautful china that were handed down to me....none of my kids want them. Apparently it is too "old school" to use fine china nowadays. I know the safest thing to do for me is only buy a gift from the registry or give cash. Southern Living Magazine had an interesting article about the tradition of fine china a couple of months ago.
Honored Contributor

The last wedding I went to was my nephew about 7 years ago. I gave them a set of 8 Waterford water glasses. But for me, $100 to someone I know well, would be my limit. 

Respected Contributor

my ex and never cooked when we got married.  we were young though - i was 20, he was 25.  we would have a quart of milk in the fridge and maybe a loaf of bread!  we always went to restaurants for dinner! the milk would spoil by the time we could use it.

we received two crockpot for shower gifts.  his mother gave him a recipe using lamb and mustard so he tried making it.   it was inedible. that was the first/last crockpot meal we tried!

my son and DIL get Hello Fresh or take-out.  my son does the cooking and food prep.  with 3 under 3 kids now i wonder how long this will last.   when the kids get older it will be expensive.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had no interest in china when I married 49 years ago; no one in my family had sets of china.  My daughters have no interest in china.

One grandmother had 6 nice plates, cups, saucers, and dessert plates she purchased piece by piece at Kroger, which were her nice dishes.  I always loved them, and was able to purchase additional pieces online, which are my special occasion dishes.  

A family friend, mid 30's, got married last month by a judge.  They bought a house and have lived together 3 years; had no showers, are not registered anywhere, and had a small wedding reception for family only.  I sent a card and check because I wanted to, not because they had their hands out expecting something.  

Respected Contributor

Oh, yes, they sure do.

Honored Contributor

Young people today are all about convenience and function.  They are content to use paper plate or very basic dinnerware like what would come from a big box store or IKEA. No china. No silver. No crystal.

Honored Contributor

I think young people like to entertain today, not necessary with crystal and china sets.  A lot of my daughters' friends like Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, and West Elm.  They're not a paper plate crowd, but they like functional pieces that can be used every day that look elegant.  

Honored Contributor

I cook and I love to bake and I don’t like to use traditional formal china and I sure don’t use stemware. Most in my generation never even used formal china etc even though we got it for wedding gifts.

I do love Fiestaware. It holds up to most anything. I also love some of the dinnerware from places like Pottery Barn or Williams Sonoma.

Many younger adults don’t like to use paper plates or disposable plastic for environmental reasons.
Honored Contributor

Get a Nespresso or something similar instead. 😉
Esteemed Contributor

I give cash. Have found the Bridal registeries, well are just a big list of  " I like this and that " but  most of the stuff they will never use or even unbox. Gift certificates get lost or loose their value so never buy them any more . Cash is King !