Honored Contributor

I never heard the term before but i have to agree with your husband and cannot watch the Flip or Flop show.  Her voice is annoying but they were running a commercial a while back that was so gross, I refused to watch their program.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

It sounds whiny to me and I can't stand it -- man, woman -- whatever.  Eeeck!  Gets on my nerves.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I first heard about vocal fry on another forum that was talking about Flip or Flop's Christina and her voice.  I had never heard of it before, so I googled it, and, yes, apparently is is pretty common among certain people (young women).  I wonder what the long term health results are.  It probably started out as an affectation, but now they probably don't even realize it.

@Peaches McPhee....I have never heard this term....people speak like 'that' on purpose?  If so, why?

Honored Contributor

This is a current comm'l running for Time Warner Cable.

Classic vocal fry.

https://youtu.be/FJlDlzNBrXA

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I first heard about vocal fry on another forum that was talking about Flip or Flop's Christina and her voice.  I had never heard of it before, so I googled it, and, yes, apparently is is pretty common among certain people (young women).  I wonder what the long term health results are.  It probably started out as an affectation, but now they probably don't even realize it.

@Peaches McPhee....I have never heard this term....people speak like 'that' on purpose?  If so, why?

@Mom2Dogs Well, I'm no expert, but maybe because they are apeing others they consider cool.  Like, G*D help us, the Kardashians.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

To me it sounds like their batteries are going bad.

OMGOODNESS - EXACTLY - it really does sound like they are running really looooowwww ...

Honored Contributor

Becuzz they think it's reallllly Koo-uhluh.

I can sort of live with vocal fry, but the addition of a schwa at the end of every single word makes my skin peel.

Also an affectation, and to me the claim of gender bias is not very accurate.

Seems to me the idea began with Valley Girl talk.

But I want to add that I was taught that it IS a pathological voice condition when it accompanies some specific neurological conditions.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

This is a current comm'l running for Time Warner Cable.

Classic vocal fry.

https://youtu.be/FJlDlzNBrXA

She sounds like a frog

Honored Contributor

I've seen many articles deeming Vocal Fry (VF) as 'sexist'.

Women are continually being chastised with this speech pattern,

but men have been using vocal fry for just as long as women.

Google 'male vocal fry'...Bruce Willis seems to pop up quite often.

https://youtu.be/NWTkTsPI4MY

Bruce Willlllllllllliiiiiiiiiissss!

I've heard several male NPR hosts w/ VF, as well.  A lot of those

old nighttime DJ's were also classic VF.

If you Google 'Howard Stern vocal fry', it'll pull up a segment he

did talking about VF.  He focuses on 'The Bachelor' where those gals

are VF'g all over the place!  (Note: be warned..saucy language)

http://www.upworthy.com/what-is-vocal-fry-and-why-doesnt-anyone-care-when-men-talk-like-that

Here's a good link to an article about VF.   There's an embedded video from CBS Morning show when they talked about it.  

Funny how it's getting so much attention now.

The "valley girl' of the 80's really got into it....why now? Weird.

Honored Contributor

I'm not familiar with "vocal fry".   In instances where I've noticed speech differences, my thoughts have always been  more along the lines of someone working on a speech problem.  

Both of my daughters required years of speech therapy in elementary school, so if I see/hear someone making more of an effort to pronounce words, my thoughts automatically go back to those years of reinforcing those speech exercises.  

Christina on Flip or Flop moves her mouth so precisely, I have always wondered if she developed that habit from wearing braces.  

The Chrisley family's voices grate on me worse than fingernails on a chalkboard!