Esteemed Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@red&curly  and @Anonymous032819 and everyone......NO ONE has the right to sit in smug judgment of your decisions regarding the cost of medical care for a pet.  To infer you are a bad person if you cannot afford thousands of dollars in vet bills is cruel and out of line.

I can't have a pet in my apartment, but at this stage of life I can't afford the vet bills....so wouldn't have one anyway.  My thoughts are those who can't afford vet bills shouldn't get new pets.  But if you already have one or more....and your financial circumstances change...then you have to face hard choices.

Some who claim to be such big animal lovers should show more compassion for human beings, too.

@alicedee 

That's what I'm saying.

That no one should sit in smug judgment of decisions made regarding the cost of medical care for a pet.

I would never think of someone as a "bad person" if they could not afford the thousands of dollars in vet bills 

You're right. To sit upon that moral high horse is cruel and wrong, and out of line.

But obviously , there are those here that do.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@mspatmac wrote:

I have pet insurance but what does one do if they don't have the means to pay these prices for a senior ill dog, are seniors themselves on a fixed income and no family to help? I worry about that.

@mspatmac 

Simple, they have the vet put their pet to sleep.

@Anonymous032819 

Simple?  I have no clue how many furry ones you've had where you had to make that decision, but. Simple is not a word I would ever use, or care to see others so casually make such a statement.

I am guessing you aren't aware of the many "No Kill" Shelters around the United States. Many do not care about the age or illnesses of the animal brought into their facility.

Personally know many my wife drove to other states to pick up for a forever home. Those homes were in yet another, state, not ours, where those people wanted them, and could afford their care.  I am talking close to 100, maybe more, over several years.

Still shocked to see such an unfeeling response, especially by you.

hckynut 

@hckynut 

Don't you get on your moral high horse and scold me and @mspatmac !

If a pet is sick/injured, no matter how much you want to have the vet make your beloved furry family member better, the cost is just too much, especially if the bill is in the thousands of dollars.

Not everybody can afford that, and the kindest thing to do instead of letting the fur baby suffer is to have them go to the Rainbow Bridge.

So don't you dare lecture me, because you don't know squat when it comes to not having the money to afford vet bills.

@Anonymous032819 

Call it a lecture if you want.

I said what I mean and know from experience. SIMPLE?

That tells me all I need to know about a person in relation to any animal they claim to love.

Moral ground? Please, spare me. "Put them down"?

Uh Huh!

As far as animals are concerned it's obvious to me where you stand. 

Not interested in anymore of your comments on this post.

Or any of them in the future

hckynut(john) 

@hckynut 

And you would rather let an animal suffer.

Wow.

That tells me all that I need to know about you.

Tell me, what would you  do when the vet bill is $7,000+, but you only have $1,200 in the bank?

When you see a homeless person who has a pet, what should that person do when the vet hands them a bill for treatment that they can't afford, what should that person do?

Tell me.

That's the reality that a lot of good, decent people face, and the fact that you can't even acknowledge that, shows me just how out of touch with reality you really are.

It does not mean that they don't love their pets, because they do, but when faced with the difficult choice between having a vet bill that runs in to the thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars for treatment, which they know that they can't afford, yes, the kindest thing that they do, is end the suffering for the animal, by having it put down, and it breaks their heart to have to make that decision.

You obviously don't know what it is like to not have the money to pay that expensive vet bill, and since you don't, you have no right to judge.

@Anonymous032819 

You

just

got 

the

last 

word

from

me!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

We live in a world where the haves tell the have-nots how to conduct their lives, without knowing or caring how the have-nots are supposed to do this.  

So when do we outlaw pets for the poor?  

Hello @Sooner 

Won't weigh in on the "haves versus have nots" comment in your post. That is because there is a wide middle ground between the two. Some you may view that way, while I view many as "wants versus, know betters".

Anyone the ages of many who post on these forum are those that likely have more years behind them than they do before them. If they have yet to figure out finances in how they choose to live? 

One poster used the word "simple" for a different purpose than I am using it here. By reading posts here for longer than I can remember(12-15 years maybe) I have seen few I believe to be under the age of legal consent.

Buying a used car is always more of a risk than buying brand new. Choose used and you are hoping costs to maintain it are minimal. If not one has the option to sell it.

Deciding to own an animal is the same unknown, to a certain degree. Nobody knows what the future holds for an animals health, but before acquiring one, that should be a major factor. Unlike the used car, the options are much different.

If money becomes an issue that does not leave the only option to be to end their life. Should an adult have owned and loved a pet over many years, if they don't know that animal well enough to br able to know "what's best" for their pet?  

For someone that does not intimately know all the circumstances to suggest that answer is "simple", sees reality much differently than me. Outlaw pets for the poor? No! But with what I have said prior in this post, one should know their financial abilities well enough to know the answer to your "outlaw" question.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

We live in a world where the haves tell the have-nots how to conduct their lives, without knowing or caring how the have-nots are supposed to do this.  

So when do we outlaw pets for the poor?  

@Sooner , there are a lot of things some can afford that others cannot.  It's the way things are.  There are also things some choose to afford.  I have friends who have a dog and said from day one, there is a limit to what they will spend on the animal, should something happen.  It's not that they cannot afford more, they are choosing not to pay should the event arise. 

When someone who cannot afford to get a pet gets a pet, what ends up happening?  The pet isn't cared for and often ends up dumped somewhere.  That is a cruel and inhumane thing to do to an animal.  No one has a right to do that.  An animal isn't a throw away item.  You make a committment when you choose to become an animal owner.   

I am NOT talking about an animal that suddenly needs a $10,000.00 surgery or $800.00 a month medication.  That is a hardship many people would not be able to take on and I can completely understand that.  I'm talking about basic medical care like wellness visits, vaccinations, etc.  

Valued Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

As much as I would like to have a dog, the responsibility and cost make it a "no" decision for me.  My bro has 2 German Shepherds.  Last year he and my SIL spent $12,000 on their care. 

We all have our priorities and mine isn't spending that much

I agree with you 100%  what they charge today is unbelievable.

When my daughter tells me what she has paid out for her dog (3 cancer surgeries )and cats over the years I bite my tongue but want to scream are you crazy, I know everyone loves their pets but come on .

Guess I'M from a different generation .

Honored Contributor

@Mimi NY 

I have no idea what generation is "your generation". From what you have said in your post, generation does not matter. You know you do not want the expenditures that come with become an animal family.

That to me makes you from a smart generation, no matter in which one you fall. If only some others would think through these decisions as you have, there would be fewer of these problems with some pet owners.

Too many think all that necessary with a pet is: Get their necessary shots/feed and give them water/pet them/and if indoor cats, clean the litter box. There in lies the problem.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Mimi NY wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

As much as I would like to have a dog, the responsibility and cost make it a "no" decision for me.  My bro has 2 German Shepherds.  Last year he and my SIL spent $12,000 on their care. 

We all have our priorities and mine isn't spending that much

I agree with you 100%  what they charge today is unbelievable.

When my daughter tells me what she has paid out for her dog (3 cancer surgeries )and cats over the years I bite my tongue but want to scream are you crazy, I know everyone loves their pets but come on .

Guess I'M from a different generation .

@Mimi NY 

I agree with you.

Your priorities are also mine.

When even after regular check-ups and vet care which is a planned expense, there can be suprises, the unplanned expenses.

A pet can develop cancer.

That is an unplanned expense.

Not everybody can afford the cost of the treatment, which can easily go in to the tens of thousands of dollars.

What is that person to do?

Let their pet suffer?

No, they do the kindest  thing, and they end the animal's suffering.

Too bad that there are some who can't grasp that fact.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

My husband and I have been going to the same veterinary practice for 44 years, with four beagles. At one point we saw a beautiful luxury car parked out front of the practice. I told my husband that the car belonged to us. We had definitely paid for it

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@kivah wrote:

I live close to a non-profit veterinary clinic. My lhasa apso is 12-1/2 yrs old and has never been sick. Going to the clinic for shots, check-ups has been inexpensive. Not sure why veterinary charges have gotten so expensive. Stay away from Banfield (in PetSmarts) - a truly criminal enterprise. They print out all ur dog's information - always shows lots of issues - which they make it up - then sell u their Wellness Plan (which is not insurance - but they tell u it is.) Banfield has lots of complaints on-line - across America. They're owned by Mars Candy Bar.

@kivah   I have read rave reviews and poor good reviews with Banfield.  Like any medical place....human or animal...there are good and bad vets....good and bad doctors.  To call them all criminal is just not fair.

I had my first-ever dog - so I didn't know about vet care - so I took my lhasa to Banfield for 7-1/2 years. My dog was never sick until she passed. I paid Banfield thousands of dollars - and then googled them.

Here's the recent review on Banfield.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/banfield.html?page=2#sort=recent&filter=none 

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@mspatmac wrote:

I have pet insurance but what does one do if they don't have the means to pay these prices for a senior ill dog, are seniors themselves on a fixed income and no family to help? I worry about that.

@mspatmac 

Simple, they have the vet put their pet to sleep.

Doesn't mean that they don't love their pet, they just can't afford to pay the vet bills.

I won,t  I will find a way.  Silver laws has helped me twice.  It,t for low income seniors.  Initial exam and blood work. Not surgeries.  But every little bit helps.  She is my family and I would not abandon her  or kill her as in putting her to sleep.  She has saved my life.