Esteemed Contributor

Pet insurance is out of sight but we do use Care Credit where you can stretch out payments, without interest, for upto two years in some cases.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, certain things are true.  Where you live affects many things.  Salaries are higher, and costs are higher.  For many things, including vet care.  We bring our pet to a huge vet practice that is always busy.  Costs are high.  

It is such a shame that some large organizations don’t have a vet on staff to take care of pets with issues that their guardians can not afford to pay for.  A pet brings a person so much joy, and so many would give a pet a loving home.  We adopted our Winston kitty almost a year ago.  Our children

have both agreed to take him if for any reason we can’t keep him.  Both have and love pets.  We are up years and feel so blessed to have our Winston.  We are lucky to have the funds to care for him and would always fund his care.

Valued Contributor

It comes down to where your animal comes in the hierarchy of your life. My husband and I have said we would sell our house, if necessary, to save our Maltese pup. We have had many dogs over the course of our lives, but this one is so extraordinarily loving, I mean AMAZINGLY loving, that we would do anything to help him. I know that's hard for many to understand, but there is something almost spiritual about him. His every act of love, his antics, his clear understanding when we talk to him, all place him at the top of our lives right now. Yes, we have children, but this relationship is of another sort entirely. It may sound silly to some of you, but we feel like this little guy connects us to God everyday through his purity, his beautiful innocence. We are so blessed.

Esteemed Contributor

I have pet insurance but what does one do if they don't have the means to pay these prices for a senior ill dog, are seniors themselves on a fixed income and no family to help? I worry about that.

Respected Contributor

Vet care has skyrocketed.  When we were first married we had dogs and cats.  I don't remember ever feelng like we couldn't afford them.  It's different now.  Last summer a simple check-up and shots was $350 for my 2 dogs. Normally I also get their teeth cleaned each year but decided to delay that expense which in the past has been $400 (for both).

I have a pure bred sheltie from a show breeder.  I won't bother listing all her medical issues for the almost 9 years she's been alive but suffice it to say, her file at the vet is thick and her procedures and meds have easily cost me several thousand.  My previous sheltie was from a backyard breeder.  We're always told to never buy from this type of seller.  Well, this dog was healthy ALL her life and lived to be a week short of 17,( breed lifespan is 12-15).She had some issues during the last year of her life but, I expected that at 16!  

In addition to the 2 dogs, I have a cat, a goat and 2 horses.  If you've never had a horse, you have no idea of vet bills!! But they sure are fun! Smiley Very Happy  

Honored Contributor

Another thing that has impacted the rising costs is the acquiring of small practices by a larger nationwide conglomerates, like VCA. Even emergency care centers are being swallowed by Blue Pearl. The small practice veterinarians, who were used to doing things their own way, are now bound by time limits, rules, etc., just as in "people" practices. The charges are set, and they are the only game in town. Smiley Frustrated

Valued Contributor

I just feel bad when I hear so many people decide against having pet because of expense.

The love you receive is so far greater.If I get in a situation with their medical bills,I will try to just do the best I can cause I need my babies.

I just couldn't be without my animals.

I remember all these wild kitties I would tame when I was young.We had nothing.We were poor.We didn't even go to Dr.much less an animal.Yes, some didn't make it but most lived a long life.Grateful for those creatures.

Esteemed Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

I have pet insurance but what does one do if they don't have the means to pay these prices for a senior ill dog, are seniors themselves on a fixed income and no family to help? I worry about that.

@mspatmac 

Simple, they have the vet put their pet to sleep.

Doesn't mean that they don't love their pet, they just can't afford to pay the vet bills.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@mspatmac wrote:

@mspatmac 

Simple, they have the vet put their pet to sleep.

Doesn't mean that they don't love their pet, they just can't afford to pay the vet bills.

@Anonymous032819  Thats what I thought. Quality of Life for a senior dog is important too. I hope I am a long way away from making drecisions. 

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut  You are soo right about emergency vet care.   It's ridiculously costly. But my pets don't fall ill Mon thru Fri. They pick Sundays at 5 p.m.

It's one of my pet peeves that our vet doesn't have hours after 5 week days or after 12 Sat. There are about 6 vets in the practice how about rotating shifts? Oh well.

@shy bobcat  I hope the cat is better.  So much worry when our fur kids are sick.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth