Honored Contributor

Re: The haunted phone inspired thread about " visitors"

[ Edited ]

My husband and I have loved antiques and started collecting in the late 70's, mostly furniture. I never felt a bad vibe from the things in any of the shops, in fact the one shop I became friends with the owner and spent a lot of time there.

Esteemed Contributor

Some people are called 'sensitives', they pick up cues, hear, see and sense things others do not. I believe many people just fail to acknowledge it or shrug it off.

Have you ever looked back on a situation or relationship that went badly and you say to yourself "I knew I shouldnt have gotten involved but I did anyway".

That's a beginning on how to develop cues. Listening to yourself.

Honored Contributor

For much of my life I've felt I have a strong "sixth sense". Not as in "I see dead people" like the movie. More like strong intuition, feelings about things to come, foreboding. About three years ago I had foreboding about something so strong, that I had to take this long desired trip with a person in my life. It wouldn't leave me, this inner voice to do it now. We had both been through a very tough time a few months prior.

We did manage to do it, five months later she became very ill. Thankfully she's still here. We actually did stay in a hotel that I later found out via online reviews is haunted. Luckily I never saw or heard anything.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Love creepy stories !

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy I think we are all born with capabilities but lose them as we grow up..they are just not part of our society or general understanding.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I do not like to visit antique shops or purchase things from estates.  If the original owner was fond of something, they sometimes watch over their possessions.  There are many spirits in antique stores, that's for sure and I don't want them to follow me home.

This is true for me, too. People judge me as a snob for not scouring various sales but I usually say I have to work instead of the real reason I dont acquire the posessions of others.

There are a lot of people who feel this way.  I was an antique dealer for quite a long time and still sell antiques on eBay.  But I've always had an ultra sensitivity to whatever energy is out there.  I've not bought items because of the "feel" I perceived from it.  And there are certain type of items I will never buy, hospital items such as wheelchairs, etc.

The strongest feeling I've ever received was at a garage sale with a black Victorian baby stroller out front and center.  DH & I stopped and I was hurrying towards it when I got about ten feet from it and stopped short because I got the strongest feeling of sadness and grief from it.  It was so strong that I turned around and went back to the car without talking to anyone about it!!

Another was a huge metal cauldron that I bought at an estate sale.  Did not talk to anyone and took it home.  Put it on the kitchen table so I could clean it the next day.  I got up in the middle of the night to get a drink and felt someting pecular as I passed it.  It was a feeling of anguish, confusion, sadness and it made me very uncomfortable.  The next day I went back to the estate sale to talk to someone regarding it.  I was told that it was from an 1800's Mental Facility that was once in the area!! I cleaned it up, and it went right down to the Antique Mall that very day....  

I've also "felt" uncomfortable in some houses that we have gone to look at (when moving).  One was a very old Victorian (originally belonged to a Cattle Baron),  and it was a fascinating home, beautiful appointments but I felt two very cold spots on the stairs on a hot day with no air conditioning.  And for some reason I was NOT going down into the basement.... and neither would our real estate agent.  I think real estate agents must have some interesting stories to tell.....

So, for me, even though I love antiques and have quite a few in my own home, I agree wholeheartedly that there is something to this....

OH, one more, LOL!  At one of the antique malls I sold my items at, there was a cabinet for sale and the owner of the Mall said that it "sang" at night.  I never heard it, but I understand that it made high pitched sing song type noises at night.  I thought that it was probably the barometic pressure or something along those lines but never stayed late enough to hear it myself.  One day the cabinet sold and the new owner (was disclosed when she bought it) came back into the store and said it was true.... she said it carries on off and on all night, not disturbingly so, and not loud but she was thrilled~!  Could it be the pressure out there when it was taken to a new environment with air conditioning??  LOL.... don't know....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

@MickD wrote:

My son is a sensitive. He sees spirits all the time.  Most of the time it is at night and in the early morning hours.  My husband has taken him to psychics in order to help him/us understand......and his purpose is to help spirits to crossover.  I am not comfortable with the sprit realm and worry about evil forces.  My son has never felt anything evil....knock on wood.  He does see dark shadow type people too....but he says they don't frighten him.  So.....we shall see.  Meanwhile, I am afraid of the dark and leap into my bed at night, especially after a horror movie.

I've seen/felt/dealt with this my whole life. My parents used to tell me all the time that "there is nothing there" , except I could SEE what WAS there and they couldn't.
As I got older, I felt like I was crazy, until people around me started to witness the same things, and could describe verbatim what I was seeing, as I was looking at it.

I've seen things fly off walls, been held down on my bed, dragged off my bed, scratched, been rushed up upon and "breathed on", seen things, felt things, had "messages" from dead relatives, seen dead people, seen demons , seen angels...
I have stories galore. My witnesses are friends, family and my animals....but they are just stories to people, unless they experience it themselves. Even after all these years, I don't instantly jump to the spiritual realm, I first look for a natural reason for an event.
My daughter has some of this too, apparently. At least I know how to help her deal with it.
I also now know the difference between the spirit of a dead person and spiritual things that were never human.

God has given me wisdom with how to deal with it all. I'm used to it now and definitely not afraid of the dark anymore...

Honored Contributor

@Quse Wow....you definitely have a gift and have learned how to live with it!  My son just told me the other day that his hair gets pulled on at night.  He's not afraid, and like you, this is all normal as this has been going on since he can remember.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Valued Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I do not like to visit antique shops or purchase things from estates.  If the original owner was fond of something, they sometimes watch over their possessions.  There are many spirits in antique stores, that's for sure and I don't want them to follow me home.

This is true for me, too. People judge me as a snob for not scouring various sales but I usually say I have to work instead of the real reason I dont acquire the posessions of others.

I get a really weird sense of euphoria when I go to an antique shop, I zone out and feel strange. I used to be really into antiques and jumped at the chance to purchase some beautiful pieces from a long time family friend when he passed away. He was an avid antique collector/hobbyist dealer and his family sold off his extensive collection in an estate sale. There was 1 mirror in particular that I was drawn to and loved...a little pricey, but I bought it. As soon as I hung it up in my home, I had strange feelings. etc.. around it. It HAD to go on one wall, in one area of my home. Truthfully, I think things "come through it" or something is attached to it.  I still have it, I still get weird feelings, and the area that it's in is like Grand Central Station for spirits coming and going.
I figured I didn't need any more nonsense in my life, so I stopped buying antiques, although, I still love them.
I also have rid myself of many mirrors, and  the ones that remain are placed in specific areas. I purchased a Lori Greiner full length mirrir and jewelry box on a tsv long ago. For an inexplicable reason, other than I have a "feeling", I keep that one in a closet that the door is ALWAYS shut at night tightly to.

Valued Contributor

@MickD wrote:

@Quse Wow....you definitely have a gift and have learned how to live with it!  My son just told me the other day that his hair gets pulled on at night.  He's not afraid, and like you, this is all normal as this has been going on since he can remember.

@MickDYes, usually "nonsense" happens at night or, like you said, early morning. It annoys me now when I get woken up for things: touching me, knocking or moving stuff around. I tell them they have no authority to do that, stop it now.
Good that your son is not afraid. When you have this, you have to learn to deal with it and take authority over it, it's kind of not a choice