Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday my son and I (with grands) made a six hour drive from Laughlin to Show Low(second day, 10 hour total drive).  My son didn't get an oil change so maintenance light was on but it was Sunday, so we decided to just drive home before fixing it.  Had decision (red oil light came on and a half hour before our destination the check engine last but came on.  We were in a small town that is dominated by a very observant devious group so there was no place open for an oil change.  Fortunately, an employee at a fast food place was nice enough to show me how to put oil in car.  WE had no OIL!!  I put in 3 quarts and we got home (the red light and the check engine light went off(thanks bel!l).  Today my son takes it in for oil change!!  This is a lesson he will never forget (he says, I hope).

Super Contributor

WOW. You were lucky the engine didn't burn out. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Stylish Lady : Indeed!

Esteemed Contributor

3 quarts down is more than a maintenance issue.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Can you fill in a missing part of your story. You had no oil...but you put in 3 quarts. Where did you manage to buy some in that small town on a Sunday?

The way you describe that town sounds like you could have wound up in a scene from a bad movie! Happy for you & your & son and the kids that you made it back safe and sound.

Honored Contributor

Well, that is certainly  good way to blow your engine.  I'm speechless that someone would do such thing and then keep right on driving with the red light on.  It ended well for you which is good on the one hand but not good since your son didn't learn anything from the experience.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

3 quarts down is more than a maintenance issue.

Exactly!  It's like he was deliberately trying to kill that car.

Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl :  The town is 10,000, they have a Wal-Mart (no garage) and I bought the oil at O'Reillys.

Honored Contributor

@patbz. That was a rough trip.  In our part of the country, there are places where service stations are few and far between.   Hope the car wasn't damaged.  I'm glad you made it home and weren't stranded in that evil town.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 :  The town wasn't evil, just small.  You are right, in my part of rural AZ you can drive hundreds of miles and no towns at all.  Believe me, I wasn't calm (I let my son know that this was very, very bad.  He assures me he has learned his lesson (I believe him)!