Honored Contributor

Re: The Bee Hive -- January 2022 Edition

@bikerbabe wrote:

3270BD9C-D116-4B60-9FB1-080E9322F2F5.png

AC432C63-B944-4578-8FE6-40DBD9456568.jpeg

Rita beats Marilyn, no contest IMO. 

They're both way outta my league, that's for sure!😉😄

And yes, @Brisky , Rita Hayworth was popular in the forties (although she had a long career) before Marilyn Monroe.  

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

The leftover Christmas ham is thawing with the bone.  Today we make split pea soup.

I made a big pot of navy bean for my husband and didn't even reach the bone.  Still cutting chunks off. 

Will have to make another pot maybe tomorrow and just have lots (LOTS!) in the freezer. 

Plus we have another ham in the freezer. 

Honored Contributor

@just bee 

Is tonight your last night of freedom?  When do you go back to work?

Or maybe a better question is, are you going back to work?

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@just bee wrote:

The leftover Christmas ham is thawing with the bone.  Today we make split pea soup.

I made a big pot of navy bean for my husband and didn't even reach the bone.  Still cutting chunks off. 

Will have to make another pot maybe tomorrow and just have lots (LOTS!) in the freezer. 

Plus we have another ham in the freezer. 

@Lucky Charm 

My best friend in elementary school used to drag me to her house for lunch.  I loved her life.  She lived in a Victorian with a color TV in the kitchen wall.  She had a glamorous mother who could do just about anything.

And that included making a killer navy bean soup.  My mother was a fantastic cook, but I still remember that soup more than 55 years later.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

@geezerette 

I think I just really needed a break.

I have two more days to do as little as possible.  I could have been accomplishing something, but I've just been enjoying the time off.

I was supposed to be studying for a certification exam last year but that not-so temporary supervision stint got me off track.  So I figure maybe now I can focus on that again.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I'm still slowly weaning my two off of rather expensive dry cat food (Royal Canin High Fiber).  I mixed it with Blue Wilderness and just keep lessening the amount of the Royal Canin.  Vet prescribed the RC because of the little one's gland issues.  The BW is pretty up there in fiber, too.

In the morning they each get about a tablespoon of Friskies canned food.  (They like the shreds.)  Very hard to find, but I have a few months worth.

So yeah, they're both gonna be on grocery store food.  The Blue Wilderness is still about $28 for a 9.5 lb. bag, but better than $58 for an 8 lb. bag.

Our Shepherd ate Science Diet years ago.  I feel like that was the only top dollar brand at the time and only gotten at the vet's.  Maybe not....

But I remember being in a small time pet store that had aalllll the different cat foods and asking the man who owned it which was the best.  He said 'honestly, Purina'.  He explained that he'd actually been to a plant years  agoand couldn't believe all the research and schooling that the employees had in order to work there (in research and development---maybe a test kitchen?  I dunno.).

So that's what they get.  Their litter is expensive.  But what are you gonna do?

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Lucky Charm 

Talk about weird.  The other day I was watching The Seven Year Itch with Marilyn Monroe and Tom Ewell.

The Seven Year Itch (1955) | Raiders of the Lost Tumblr

BH was walking by when he heard me say, "She's just adorable."

Who?

Who do you think?

I don't know.  Rita Hayworth?

I was mortified.  BH doesn't recognize Marilyn Monroe?

I feel like I've officially crossed the Rubicon into antiquity. 

I recorded a bunch of MM films to watch--like 5 or 6.  7 Year Itch is one of them. 

I know who Marilyn is, but not sure I could pick Rita Hayworth out of a lineup.  Isn't she from before Marilyn?    

@Lucky Charm 

I'm not even sure BH could pick her out of a lineup.

Although he has seen The Shawshank Redemption.

Literature - Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption | Old Skool Department - Retro, Vintage, Classic

That poster was an important part of the story.

Rita's career was cut short by several things -- including early onset Alzheimer's at age 42.

So sad.  But then Marilyn was dead by 36.

See?  It doesn't pay to be gorgeous.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I'm still slowly weaning my two off of rather expensive dry cat food (Royal Canin High Fiber).  I mixed it with Blue Wilderness and just keep lessening the amount of the Royal Canin.  Vet prescribed the RC because of the little one's gland issues.  The BW is pretty up there in fiber, too.

In the morning they each get about a tablespoon of Friskies canned food.  (They like the shreds.)  Very hard to find, but I have a few months worth.

So yeah, they're both gonna be on grocery store food.  The Blue Wilderness is still about $28 for a 9.5 lb. bag, but better than $58 for an 8 lb. bag.

Our Shepherd ate Science Diet years ago.  I feel like that was the only top dollar brand at the time and only gotten at the vet's.  Maybe not....

But I remember being in a small time pet store that had aalllll the different cat foods and asking the man who owned it which was the best.  He said 'honestly, Purina'.  He explained that he'd actually been to a plant years  agoand couldn't believe all the research and schooling that the employees had in order to work there (in research and development---maybe a test kitchen?  I dunno.).

So that's what they get.  Their litter is expensive.  But what are you gonna do?

@Lucky Charm 

Our vet feeds his dogs either Purina or Pedigree -- I can't remember which.

Probably Purina.

I don't think people put as much effort or expense into feeding their own children.  Whole stores are devoted to pet food now.

Vintage c1960 Gerber Mixed Cereal For Baby Cereal Box - Use as Movie Prop | eBay

I do remember this stuff and thought it was pretty snacky.

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:

3270BD9C-D116-4B60-9FB1-080E9322F2F5.png

AC432C63-B944-4578-8FE6-40DBD9456568.jpeg

Rita beats Marilyn, no contest IMO. 

Remember when they were young:Sophia Loren list

I've got to give a shout-out to Sophia. Heart

Young Sophia Loren | Vintage photos etc. | Sophia loren, Beauty, Classic beauty

Remember when they were young:Sophia Loren list

Classic Beauty Icon of Italy: 35 Stunning Color Photos of Sophia Loren in the 1950s and 1960s ...

Sophia Loren's Pizza Alla Napoletana - Silver Screen Suppers

iz Quotes - Famous Quotes, Proverbs, & Sayings

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

@geezerette 

I think I just really needed a break.

I have two more days to do as little as possible.  I could have been accomplishing something, but I've just been enjoying the time off.

I was supposed to be studying for a certification exam last year but that not-so temporary supervision stint got me off track.  So I figure maybe now I can focus on that again.

@just bee 

That sounds like the best idea.

Maybe you should try not going so long in between days off.  An extra day or two added on to a weekend here or there might be the way to keep you on the job.  Which sounds like a good bargaining chip the way things are right now.

Unless they want to quit and leave them even more short handed, of course.