Honored Contributor

Re: TAUGHT MY GYM CLASS TODAY

Gives me a chance to say, YOU GO GIRL!!!!

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1

What about liability she is not an employee what if she or a participant was injured, I can understand why but not a good move.

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I was up early to get to the gym. On Mondays, there’s a muscle conditioning class using exercise bands, doing lunges, low impact aerobics, etc. 

We all waited over 15 min. and the instructor had not arrived. I was voted to lead the class. All of us had lots of fun and the hour wasn’t wasted.

We've tried to have a class member lead a class a couple of times when the instructor didn't show up. We were told by the gym director only gym employee's that are certified to teach that class could lead it because of liability and insurance issues. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I applaud you for taking charge, and it sounds like it was fun.

As a former Jazzercise instructor, I echo what others have said - liability is an issue (I had to carry a policy).  Someone has a heart attack, sprains an ankle - these things happen and even the nicest of students could point a finger.  And fitness professionals are specially trained to be made aware of preventing injury.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I was up early to get to the gym. On Mondays, there’s a muscle conditioning class using exercise bands, doing lunges, low impact aerobics, etc. 

We all waited over 15 min. and the instructor had not arrived. I was voted to lead the class. All of us had lots of fun and the hour wasn’t wasted.

That's great @Shanus! What did you do for music (or was any necessary)?

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

That's great @Shanus! What did you do for music (or was any necessary)?

Hi @Texasmouse. There’s a music system (I still call them stereos) in the closet of each classroom. One of the guys flipped it on & I’ve taken the same class for over a year, remembered most of the moves, class did too, so we just winged it. No one wanted to waste the effort of getting up early.

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I applaud you for taking charge, and it sounds like it was fun.

As a former Jazzercise instructor, I echo what others have said - liability is an issue (I had to carry a policy).  Someone has a heart attack, sprains an ankle - these things happen and even the nicest of students could point a finger.  And fitness professionals are specially trained to be made aware of preventing injury.

@Sweetbay magnolia  We’ve all been in the class forever &  knew the steps. I was just the one nominated to be up front for others (if they forgot) to follow. The gym is huge & associated w/ the Univ. hospital. In fact, there was a cardio class going on next door if there’d been an emergency. We also asked each other if anyone felt uncomfortable to begin w/o our instructor, free to opt out. Fortunately, all went smoothly.