Respected Contributor

"""  I """"   know this is a stupid question but I just need some back up from QVC community friends.  I was following a friend home last night and noticed that there wasn't any ''tail lights' on the back of their vehicle.  I mentioned this when we got home, that they were out and needed to be repaired asap.  I was told that the vehicle passed inspection a few weeks ago and it was fine.  This person also said that ''tail lights' where not necesary to drive at night.  The" break lights" work fine.  I am furious !  Please tell me what you think - and how to convince this person to get their vehicle up to standards.

Respected Contributor

You need a better class of friend--someone smarter. This friend is dumb. 

How can another car, approaching from behind at speed, see his car in the dark? Answer? They CAN'T. You're not allowed to drive without head and tail lights at night, and you can't even have the lens broken so that the tail light shows white instead of red.

If this friend doesn't see the importance of working tail lights (which are really easy to get fixed) then he's risking causing an accident that will look like the other person's fault (rear-ending) and possibly hurt another driver, passengers and oh waste everyone else's time and money because he's (or she's) too lazy-arse to get fixed what MUST be fixed.

People like that go by their own convenience even if it can endanger other people--the ultimate in selfishness. And you are friends....because?

Trusted Contributor

Wow...can't fix stupid😳

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

@sarahpanda

No, you can't fix stupid. Friend will be ticketed should the police ever get behind them. It's putting others in danger.

Driving down a dark interstate at 60 mph, them BAM, people are killed.

Esteemed Contributor

Your friend sounds like they live by the motto "ME, ME, AND ONLY ME."

Trusted Contributor

Is it possible they didn't have their head lights on? We saw a car the other night with no tail lights. They did have lights on the front which were just their daytime running lights. Most cars have automatic daytime running lights but you have to turn headlights/tail lights on. 

You definitely need tail lights. It would be dangerous to drive without them. Imagine a tractor trailer going 55-65 mph & they can't see your vehicle in fog, snow, rain or darkness. They'll plow right into you. 

Respected Contributor

No, it was DARK outside, they DID  have their headlight on .  Thanks for the replies, friends.  I'm going to use them as my defense.

Trusted Contributor

@Tribesters wrote:

Is it possible they didn't have their head lights on? We saw a car the other night with no tail lights. They did have lights on the front which were just their daytime running lights. Most cars have automatic daytime running lights but you have to turn headlights/tail lights on. 

This is exactly right.  Tail lights do not come on with your daytime running lights.  People forget to turn on the headlight switch because their lights are already on.  It is so dangerous to not have tail lights.
Trusted Contributor

Daytime running lights can look like headlights. Believe me I've seen many cars driving with them on not knowing they were invisible from behind. They light up the road ahead, not as much as headlights, but enough to fool people into thinking they have their lights on. 

And unless you ride the brakes brake lights aren't going to make other drivers aware of you. Tail lights are just as important as headlights. Headlights aren't solely designed so you can see where you're going. They're so others can see you. And the purpose of tail lights is so other vehicles can see you as well. 

Honored Contributor

They may not be necessary in her mind, but they could earn her an expensive ticket.  I hope they do --very soon, so she gets them fixed and doesn't cause a deadly accidnet when she is rear-ended.