Regular Contributor

Hi. My elderly father has not got anyone that can help make sure he gets out of the house (three steps) and back in safely.

He also actually needs someone to even help him out of the car at any appointments he goes to.

I have a back injury and really I am not much help in these ways at all. I help with everything else as much as possible.

We do not have any family or relatives in town or nearby at all.  All of his good buddies have died not that they would have been in shape anyway to help  Smiley Sad

My father uses a walker and can barely get around the house. It is just such an ordeal when he has to go out to any appointment. He  gets his hair cut now at his house.

He does not really leave the house anymore unless he has an appointment due to the difficulty of it.

We dont belong to a Church.  There are not really neighbors he knows that well anymore, they have died or moved.

There just seems to be no place to turn!!!

Senior Center is only available for getting a ride on a few days, not the days he needs them. He has not used before at this point.

Transportation companies, the drivers do not get out of the van!!

Is there anything at all anyone can suggest???

I have wished he would move to assisted living but he is a stubborn person and refuses at this point to do this.

Thank you for reading!

If we all had the same opinion or everyone was the same. the world would be a very boring place!
Valued Contributor

How about Uber and tell them of your father's requirements.  Maybe he can use the same driver all the time if he likes this person.  It may take time to find the one he likes but keep at it and over time he might find someone.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Suggestions Needed!!!

[ Edited ]

Have you tried the Office of the Aging in your father's county? I discovered services I was unaware of when my mother needed help. Your father's doctor may also know about services that are available. My mother is also very stubborn and only agreed to let an aide come to her house for an hour each day. She needs more but refuses. Perhaps your father is eligble for certain services that can provide assistance. Good luck!

Regular Contributor

We live in a very small town and i dont think there is even Uber service here. But i dont feel he would want to do that anyways. With the walker and hard to get around and in and out of places lol.

If we all had the same opinion or everyone was the same. the world would be a very boring place!
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have taxi service?  My neighbor used a taxi to go grocery shopping every day and they knew him and always took his groceries in the house for him.  I'm sure they picked them up at the store also.  Small towns have advantages sometimes.

Esteemed Contributor

Ask his doctor(s); call the local hospitals - to see if they can recommend someone to help him -- either a volunteer or someone you could pay. I belong to SCAN (thru Medicare) and if I needed to go to a medical appointment, I can call a cab (free to me). 

Honored Contributor

You said the operative word - stubborn.   Since he is not able to be totally independent, he will have to adjust his lifestyle to conform to those who can assist him. 

It's a passage.    It will happen to all of us unless we get hit by a bus at a young age.   If you can afford it, you  may be able to pay for a part time companion.   Someone experienced with those who need assistance for the days he needs to go out.   A social worker can help you find the services you need.    Most facilities have a social worker on staff.  Start by asking at his doctors office.    They deal with the elderly, you won't be the first to ask.

And just because you don't have a church family, doesn't mean a local church can't help.   If his barber comes to his house to cut his hair, they would know people to help.    It's the start of a network of people he should develop.

@HouseMouse wrote:

Hi. My elderly father has not got anyone that can help make sure he gets out of the house (three steps) and back in safely.

He also actually needs someone to even help him out of the car at any appointments he goes to.

I have a back injury and really I am not much help in these ways at all. I help with everything else as much as possible.

We do not have any family or relatives in town or nearby at all.  All of his good buddies have died not that they would have been in shape anyway to help  Smiley Sad

My father uses a walker and can barely get around the house. It is just such an ordeal when he has to go out to any appointment. He  gets his hair cut now at his house.

He does not really leave the house anymore unless he has an appointment due to the difficulty of it.

We dont belong to a Church.  There are not really neighbors he knows that well anymore, they have died or moved.

There just seems to be no place to turn!!!

Senior Center is only available for getting a ride on a few days, not the days he needs them. He has not used before at this point.

Transportation companies, the drivers do not get out of the van!!

Is there anything at all anyone can suggest???

I have wished he would move to assisted living but he is a stubborn person and refuses at this point to do this.

Thank you for reading!

Esteemed Contributor

Check back with your Senior Center because they usually have a list of vendors to do all sorts of things.  These vendors understand that they are working with senior citizens of all ages and temperments.  Your Senior Center probably has a newsletter and vendors and others who would like to earn some extra money will advertise their services.  If there is such a newsletter, you could also put in an ad and describe your dad and his needs just like you did here.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@HouseMouse....this is a difficult situation.....I do not see an uber driver doing anything but driving him to his appointments, not with assisting him inside the office, which is what it sounds like he really needs...

all I can think of is a home health person that is only hired to help to and from appointments, they would assist him with the walk to the office and back.

Possibly you could also go along to his appointments but the health aide would do the 'work'.

Respected Contributor

I know you say he is stubborn, so was my mom. She should have been in assisted living and didn't think she needed it and wouldn't go. Now she is in a nursing home due to falling. I think his doctor should be helping  you with this. I know that is what it took to get my mom into a nursing home as she wasn't eligible for assisted lving after she became so weak and unable to take care of herself. I hope you the best of luck.