Respected Contributor

Re: Stick a Fork in Me-Im Done!!!

Nice, balanced reply, winkk, and I agree with you.  I mill around Macy's and just see very little of interest.  They have affordable t-shirt tops, but they seem cheaply made.  Marshalls, etc. have nice things but it's overwhelming to sort through the long racks.  Clothing should be grouped by item, not size. 

We need to shop carefully at QVC when it comes to clothing.  Like most here, I've made my fair share of costly mistakes.  Study the photos, observe the models, look at the click here sizing measurements. 

Even in a shoe store I usually try on 2-3 pairs to maybe get a fit.  I've tried a few QVC shoes but no luck so I don't order even tho' I see shoes I like. 

Honored Contributor

@Q2girl wrote:

Because I live in an area with a lot of stores,  I rarely shop here anymore.  Most of the things I buy I can get at a local store on sale or with a coupon,  I can also order on line and return to the store, if I don't like it.  I wait until a site has free shipping and will buy at that time.  I have had this conversation with my mom as she is returning multiple QVC items at the post office.  She always tells me there is no where in her tiny town to buy anything.  I can't imagine how much she spends on shipping and handling charges,  she didn't even know that QVC changed the shipping policy of not giving your original shipping charges back.  I think QVC banks on people like my mom who are elderly and shop on tv to keep busy.  

@GSPgirl

My mom has always been a big Q shopper as well, and is getting up there in age where she doesn't drive alone anywhere very often, so she relies on me to take her shopping and help her choose things (especially gifts).

I had noticed she was 'getting sucked in' by presentations often, because callers would praise an item so much and she would order. About half the time, the products was either inferior, or didn't work in the way she thought it would, or any number of other things. She would destroy the packing materials, and give or throw away the product, not getting a refund. Don't get me wrong, one of the reasons I love Q is those presentations. You get to 'see' the product in more than a picture or two on a computer screen. But the presentations have to be taken with a grain of salt.

I convinced her to call me when she sees something she is interested in. I will check the reviews of that item, the product line in general, and do so on other sites if I can as well. I will watch the presentation, and offer up some questions about the product as it will relate to her, or point out things I'm seeing that she might not. She has never had a computer or device to go online, so she only sees (and believes) what goes on in the televised presentation.

This input from me, has caused her to cut way back on her spending with Q over the years. Still a loyal customer, but a smarter one. She rarely makes a purchase now, of a new product or line without letting me check it out in more depth for her. I know Q makes a lot of money off lonely (sometimes older or homebound) people who use the channel for company and companionship. That is fine, if they can afford it, and if the products they receive match what they are expecting. I do feel sorry for those that can't really afford what they get themselves into financially with online and TV shopping so prevalent these days.

Esteemed Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

So after having to pay 30 SOMETHING DOLLARS to return a Nutri Bullet a few months ago AND having to pay $11.95 to return a pair of boots I AM DONE WITH ORDERING FROM SHOPPING CHANNELS. ESPECIALLY QVC!!

it is ridulous and we cannot afford to pay these  types of prices to return things!

I ordered As Is boots from the website and they were very nice, not a thing wrong expect they didnt fit..SOO after having them for a day and having to pay that much to return i am just over it and over ordering anymore!!

It will have to be something special or amazing that i know we will like and keep for me to ever ever order another thing.

Thanks for listening! Smiley Happy

What was wrong with the Nutri-Bullet? Some B&R stores charge pretty hefty restocking fees, especially for things that have a motor? AS IS? Sell or buy a used anything, and unless expressly written in a contract? AS IS, to me is self explanatory, size and all. 

When it comes to footwear? Even new shoes/same model/same size, there is always a "given margin of error". I have bought well over 100 pairs of running shoes, in store/ out of box-new. Many times I would try on 3 pair and seldom did I take shoes paired in the same box.

Upsides for online shopping and down sides, we decide.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Clothing is unlike electronics, gym equipment, 

As an electronics and physical fitness buff, I can tell you those things are not always fully understood by those buying them. They also are not always presented in ways that truly represent them.

What works well for many does not always apply to ALL. There again/upside/downside for online shopping. We decide, even with electronics and gym-fitness equipment.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

, I agree with OP and I have vowed to do (or not do) the same and forego any TV shopping channel purchases.  Most times I can find the exact thing or very close to it, out in cyber world where there is no shipping or tax---however long lived that may be. I will continue to do my shopping on Amazon as I am a prime member and can get things the next day if I want. Also the B&M stores are starting to let you order online and pick up at the store. I bought an item for around $20 and decided to send it back-----until----- I saw that it would be $6 to send it back!! I donated the stupid thing instead.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I used to love the Mall! I so rarely shop in a store anymore, it's bizarre. I will order clothing from QVC that I am fairly certain will work for me. I will not order shoes or a purse. I am too picky & they are too expensive to return. Beds, electronics, anything like that I would only buy local in case I had an issue.

Respected Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@Winkk wrote:

Well, here's the thing.  I hate clothes shopping and especially in stores because everything looks ugly to me.  I am not going from store to store looking for an item.  If I see an item on QVC that I like I will buy it.  If it doesn't fit then I will pay to return it because to me it's worth the trouble.

I know a lot of ladies say they can get the same items that are on QVC cheaper in other stores but I have not found this to be true. And, I don't find the return postage to be more at QVC than any other retailer.  I think I average about $6 or $7 postage per return.  That is substanial but I don't buy anything unless I'm pretty sure I will like it.  I try to use the same companies so I get to know their sizing which eliminates a lot of returns.

Are you MBR?

@missy1 - Haha!  I did that on purpose to see if anyone was paying attention.

Respected Contributor

I too am done shopping on tv.  The quality of the products has taken a severe dive and I'm done paying to return items that aren't as they are described.  I feel like a weight has been lifted - looking forward to having my bank account grow for things that need to be done around the house, a new refrigerator and shopping locally when I need something.  I'm so excited - only wish I had done it last year!  I sent back 3/4 of the items I ordered last year. 

Honored Contributor

I agree, I have not ordered anything for a while... I do like the skin care that I get from QVC, but shipping and sizing issues have done it for me.....

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

Like I've said before, I won't and don't pay these kinds of prices in a B&M, NO way would I pay them here that also includes s/h both ways if I don't like it, doesn't fit like it's supposed to, doesn't look good on, and is underwhelming.

So I'm pretty much done here too.  Used to be fun, inexpensive, sizing you could count on but no longer.

Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

...  I sent back 3/4 of the items I ordered last year. 

@hoosieroriginal

Uh oh!...I see a snarky "you return too much" letter in your future...

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~