Respected Contributor

I've always been a writer at heart, despite a 46 year nursing career. Recently I decided to take a break (probably permanent) from the cesspool of Facebook. Social media, while useful for some things like seeing my friends photos of family and events, has no other value to me. In fact it has created a stress level that I never expected. The political divisiveness, the unveiling of ugliness in people I formerly counted as friends...the continual reposting of urban legends, the "I bet nobody will share this" memes. Ad nauseum. I've been reading more (novels mostly), and suddenly had a creative urge to begin a journal. I bought a beautiful one online, it arrived today. My husband said what is the purpose if no one is supposed to read it. My answer: it's a creative outlet, a vehicle for self-expression, emotional catharsis, stress relief. He laughed when I gave an example of what he would write- "went to the pistol range. Came home. Drilled a hole". 
haha nailed it!  So do any of you indulge in journaling? Where and when do you write? Is there a  routine you like to follow, i.e. using  special pen, have a particular beverage, writing in the same location? Would love to hear your experiences 🥰

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

Re: Starting a journal

[ Edited ]

I use spiral notebooks.  I've already filled a stack of them. I write at night, in bed, on my lap desk.  

I started several years ago - write something every evening (in bed, before going to sleep.)  

Some nghts just a few lines - some nights several pages.  Last night was a long one - I think I wrote for about an hour.

---------------------

ETA:  Since November, I've been "attending" a weekly webinar on meditation and journaling.  Finishes up the end of this month.

--------------------

ETA 2 ...... Have you heard of the Happiness Project One Sentence Journal.  That's how I started in 2011.  Info on Amazon.

Honored Contributor

Do anything that will make yourself feel better in these times.

Super Contributor

I used to journal but decided I didn't want others reading my thoughts....probably comes from brothers who read my diary when I was young...lol.

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I use spiral notebooks.  I've already filled a stack of them. I write at night, in bed, on my lap desk.  

I started several years ago - write something every evening (in bed, before going to sleep.)  

Some nghts just a few lines - some nights several pages.  Last night was a long one - I think I wrote for about an hour.

---------------------

ETA:  Since November, I've been "attending" a weekly webinar on meditation and journaling.  Finishes up the end of this month.

--------------------

ETA 2 ...... Have you heard of the Happiness Project One Sentence Journal.  That's how I started in 2011.  Info on Amazon.

Will look into the Happiness Project. Thanks 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

You should see some of the journals in You Tube.  They are so good!!  Will you just journal, do art too?  There is one gal on there who is already an author and her posts are very interesting.  Her name, I can't tell you.

Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

I've always been a writer at heart, despite a 46 year nursing career. Recently I decided to take a break (probably permanent) from the cesspool of Facebook. Social media, while useful for some things like seeing my friends photos of family and events, has no other value to me. In fact it has created a stress level that I never expected. The political divisiveness, the unveiling of ugliness in people I formerly counted as friends...the continual reposting of urban legends, the "I bet nobody will share this" memes. Ad nauseum. I've been reading more (novels mostly), and suddenly had a creative urge to begin a journal. I bought a beautiful one online, it arrived today. My husband said what is the purpose if no one is supposed to read it. My answer: it's a creative outlet, a vehicle for self-expression, emotional catharsis, stress relief. He laughed when I gave an example of what he would write- "went to the pistol range. Came home. Drilled a hole". 
haha nailed it!  So do any of you indulge in journaling? Where and when do you write? Is there a  routine you like to follow, i.e. using  special pen, have a particular beverage, writing in the same location? Would love to hear your experiences 🥰

@fairydogmother   I've journaled since junior high (almost daily) with a few breaks here and there. I have hundreds of finished books stored in boxes in the attic. I write 3 pages each morning when I wake up usually with a cup of coffee, at my desk when it's quiet. I like to light a candle or at least set aside this time to myself with no distractions. My artistic side does take over and I sometimes use different colored pens (***try them on a back page to be sure they don't soak through like a Sharpie does) or sketch or tape in a photo of my children at various stages of life, birthday parties, fortune cookie papers I like, words that have meaning from a magazine or a book...just cut it out and keep a glue stick handy.  

Now I also include photos of grandchildren, letters they write me or valentine cards, invitations from my wedding, the kids' weddings, birthday cards.....Sometimes my journals are just large spriral notebooks from the Dollar Store and other times, beautiful leather bound books from Amazon. I keep a red ribbon hanging down the page where I stopped to save time when starting to write again.

There's a wonderful book to read called THE ARTIST'S WAY about journaling 3 pages a day and how to begin the practice of doing those 3 pages a day and committing yourself to it. I recently reread it. There are many videos on YOUTUBE re: journaling, too that give you "prompts" if you get stuck about what to write about..."What Am I Grateful For?", "What Do I Wish I Had Done Differently In My Life"...those are some of mine. I also filled many pages when my younger brother passed away suddendly at 49 and when each parent passed away. So many feelings. I also pasted in photos of them and a few of them with me as a child. For me journaling has been like therapy. It's a way to relieve anxiety or sadness on paper by getting it out or share feelings of happiness. Sometimes it's just a TO DO list if nothing else.

A journal is free flowing thinking...Don't worry about punctuation, making full sentences, or even making sense. I'm sure after so many decades of journaling, that's why I use so many "...." and "etc.".  It's just your thoughts at that moment going from your mind onto paper without any rules or preconceived notions.  

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  Fabulous post! So many great tips and insights. Thank you! I kept diaries in high school- page after daily page for two years. A chronicle of teenage life in the 1960's. My weight on every page ("105, fat!"), the angst of unrequited love, the bliss of prom dates, slumber parties, fashion and beauty news. The weather; the Blizzard of 1967 and how fun it was not to go to school for days. When I was doing my whole house purge in 2018 before moving to Florida, I finally tossed the diaries. Had em fifty years, reread them often. But honestly they wouldn't have value to anyone finding them after I croak. My daughter didn't want them. So, to the trash. 
One thing for sure, I won't be mentioning my weight on every page of my new journal. 😆

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@qualitygal Oh I'd love to be able to draw. Or doodle. Or anything remotely connect to art. But alas, my dad, who was a commercial artist by profession, highly accomplished and innately talented, passed none of those precious genes to me. My sister snagged all of that. Me, everything I try to draw looks like a potato or a stick. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

Re: Starting a journal

[ Edited ]

I do not get all the introspection.  It would drive me nuts. I am all too aware of what I should do, so I don't want to dwell on that.  I think I am not an interesting person.  Kudos to all of you who are!

I try to keep a list of people and things I am praying for, but beyond that I'm just not that interesting. Woman Frustrated