Honored Contributor

Re: So many commercials on cable tv !!

I can't remember the last time I saw a commercial! I record everything and fast forward through commercials.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter 

The most I have counted is 10 in a row. That equals 5 minutes of all commercials before returning to the show. Said in another post, when i download TV shows "On Demand", they are 42 minutes without commercials. If the same "on demand" show is streamed? I cannot use "commercial skip", so I delete it. 

Unfortunately when you choose a show "on demand" it does not state "download or streaming". It shows the "mbps speed" and unless I watch the whole download procedure, I only find out when I start the show. If it has commercials? I delete it, ain't no way I am gonna watch a full hour show, commercials and all, not even a hockey game.

hckynut    🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Still Raining I envy you for doing this.i wish I had the guts to do the same.my days I'm not working,like the weekends,I watch tv.watched a darling movie on show women.about a woman with a drunk for a husband and several children.she writes poems for shows that advertise prizes.really cute show and it was a true story

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Try counting the commercials before and after the half hour segments of the Today Show.  They go on and on until you could scream. Recently I've noticed, especially on late-night TV, they'll play the commercials twice in sequence.  Anything to drive us nuts.

@Kachina624 ...not quite as often as the TSV presentations.

Honored Contributor

I honestly don't watch much cable TV, I watch streaming services.  Commercials aren't fun but they serve a purpose.  No such thing as a free lunch, not even for TV networks.  I put the TV on mute during almost all TV commercials.  Especially when they run 8 in a row.  

Super Contributor

We are getting ready to chuck DirecTV.  Tired of paying for commericals and constant re-runs. Why are we paying so much for commercials?  More and more channels are nothing but shopping and advertisements.  Most maddening of all are the constant drug commercials.  Most of them insulting to any intelligent person.  'Just pop that pill and your life will be happy with grill parties, nature walks and happy famliy'. In reality they drive up health care costs to a level where nobody can afford it.  I always ask myself if people are really that stupid.  They seem to target the most uneducated and gullible.  Then the credit protection scams.  The very people who sell your information and make you a target then turn around and try to charge for alledgedly protecting you.

Super Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

When a commercial comes on I just flip over to QVC. Much nicer than watching the commercial.

You just swap one commercial for another.  I bet QVC is happy.

Valued Contributor

I think they have changed the look of a lot of commercials. Plus they are just plain stupid. All the dancing and awful singing is a real turn off. Half the time I can't tell what they're trying to advertise. At least I can save money not watching this garbage.

Honored Contributor

@TW wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

When a commercial comes on I just flip over to QVC. Much nicer than watching the commercial.

You just swap one commercial for another.  I bet QVC is happy.

@TW  I don’t look at it that way at all. But I’m sure they are happy to have all of us reading their message boards.

Honored Contributor

I stick with movies, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube.  I just go crazy with the amount of repeats of the same commercials. Granted they cost a lot put out, but not so much that I want to see them 20 times in my daily life.  Bothers me to see 1 min of a show and 3-4 commercials.  Really, do we need to see a commercial so much that we can sing a long to their telephone jingle?  I call a halt at that time. LOL