Honored Contributor

If you have one you might want to read your own meter so you can check it against your bill.

A lot of people set theirs up on monthly average & pay the same amount for their bill each month. We don't do that.

I noticed all summer my gas bill was $42 which I thought was high so I read our meter to check against our bill. It was off & to the Gas Companies advantage.

Right now 2-11 my meter is reading 5475. Their meter reading on 1-10 was 6187. I did not read our meter until 2-8 at which time it was 5466.

Gas Company just came out to check my reading plus their hand reader. He said he had to adjust it because it was not reading my meter correct. DUH!!!

He said if it's still off they will have to replace our meter which they already did not to long ago when the other one had a clog in the line.

Now I will keep track of it plus my water & electric.

Smart Meters are so Smart they rip you off. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz   On the wellness forum I started a thread on smart meters recently.  I chose to OPT OUT and keep my analog meter.... everyone has that choice, but you need to ask! Most people do not even know about the switch until it is done.  

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/The-new-Smart-Electrical-Meters-Do-you-have-one-on-your-home/m...

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Nightowlz   On the wellness forum I started a thread on smart meters recently.  I chose to OPT OUT and keep my analog meter.... everyone has that choice, but you need to ask! Most people do not even know about the switch until it is done.  

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/The-new-Smart-Electrical-Meters-Do-you-have-one-on-your-home/m...

@SeaMaiden

Do you get charged extra for opting out of the smart meter?  We just got a letter that our electric meters will soon be replaced with smart meters.  They said you could opt out and keep your analog meter—for a price.  $65 up front charge, then $26 each month to continue to have a meter reader come to the house.

Honored Contributor

Re: Smart Meters

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden

Do you get charged extra for opting out of the smart meter?  We just got a letter that our electric meters will soon be replaced with smart meters.  They said you could opt out and keep your analog meter—for a price.  $65 up front charge, then $26 each month to continue to have a meter reader come to the house.

@geezerette  I will pay whatever the cost  NOT to have this meter....it is for health reasons as well as over charges.  That is just my feelings. I can adjust my budget easy to accommodate....🙂

Respected Contributor

Ours was only for the electric meter but we never had the option of replacing or keeping old.  We got the letter that all meters WERE being changed and they wanted us to know their might be techs on our property.  Now that I see this, I'm gonna check it frequently - even tho my electric bills aren't exhorbitant but I assume that's cuz this is a mostly natural gas home.

Respected Contributor

I have a newer electric meter, it was replaced a few years back when the old dial meter stopped working.   I was the one who reported it to them.  It took them three weeks to come out.  Anyway I don't think what we now have is a smart meter as we got a card last week that they will be out to replace it.  

We cannot opt out.  But I am going to start reading it and checking against my monthly bill.  We haven't heard anything from the gas company yet.  

Honored Contributor

@Financialgrl wrote:

Ours was only for the electric meter but we never had the option of replacing or keeping old.  We got the letter that all meters WERE being changed and they wanted us to know their might be techs on our property.  Now that I see this, I'm gonna check it frequently - even tho my electric bills aren't exhorbitant but I assume that's cuz this is a mostly natural gas home.

@Financialgrl  that is what they do.....most people do not know they DO have a choice not to get a smart meter.    They do the change rather sneaky....  when they were doing the meter changes in my neighborhood, I kept an  eye out  for the person doing the change out.  I had in advance called the power company to say I opted out....but I also let the installer know too in person.  

You still can Replace the smart meter back  with analog meter if you decide to...you will have to pay an electrian to do it.  Many people who had adverse health  issues crop up after the new  smart meters were installed have done this.... or have had over charges with the new meters.  I suppose most people will not bother reading up on them,  and just got the smart meter.... that is what the power company want  the "HERD" to do.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

I have a newer electric meter, it was replaced a few years back when the old dial meter stopped working.   I was the one who reported it to them.  It took them three weeks to come out.  Anyway I don't think what we now have is a smart meter as we got a card last week that they will be out to replace it.  

We cannot opt out.  But I am going to start reading it and checking against my monthly bill.  We haven't heard anything from the gas company yet.  

@Allegheny  You must persist.  You can opt out!  Read this!

http://emfsafetynetwork.org/smart-meters/action-now/

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

@Allegheny  You must persist.  You can opt out!  Read this!

http://emfsafetynetwork.org/smart-meters/action-now/

ABSOLUTELY stay away from smart meters.  Agenda 2035