Honored Contributor

Today I had not only one of these moments but a shock too!

I flew home to be with my dear older friend who was having surgery today (No way was I letting her go alone).  She went into hospital early am -- surgery started around 1:30.  The surgeon told me to plan for 4-5 hours.  I was going to leave but then decided to just wait.  

As I'm sitting in family waiting area -- this adorable older italian couple came in w/their son.  Of course, I speak limited italian but we-struck up a conversation.  As I'm enjoying their company I hear "Aunt ### what are you doing here?"

I couldn't believe it..it was my goddaughter who I haven't seen in years.  I see her mom when I come up - we were neighbors, our kids born 9 hours apart and so much more🙂.  Her boyfriend was admitted for emergency surgery --I just couldn't believe it.  She recently moved back to area but what were the chances of seeing her in this situation. 

Her mom & I said this was fate!  I agree!  All patients are doing well🙂

Honored Contributor

I have so many of them re meeting people today who I have some connection with dating back years ago and far away.    

When you think about the millions and millions of people in NYC ... the odds are running into someone you have a connection are probably very low.  Just one story ...

One man ... our Irish ancestors settled in the same small mining town in Pennsylvania in the 1880s and might have worked in the same mines ... and no doubt knew each other.  They appear on the same 1900 Census.

His family was from Dublin, mine from Donegal.   Then - his family moved to the Bronx ... mine to Brooklyn ... then to Queens ... now both of us are in Manhattan now ... living in the same building.

Esteemed Contributor

35 or so years ago my husband and I along with 2 of his brothers and their wives went to a new restaurant 40 miles away in the next state.  All of a sudden my 1 BIL stated laughing and said "isn't that xxxx over there?"   We all looked across the room to a dimly lit corner to see a guy from our town having a romantic dinner with another woman. It was clearly not a business dinner.

He saw us about the same time and looked like he wished the floor would open up and swallow him.  We never told a soul,  but within 6 months he was divorced and married his dinner companion.

Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal 

Hi Bridgegal!  I'm sorry it's taken so long to respond;  sometimes I forget about this site!

DH and I are from the same small town near the Poconos. 

Respected Contributor

Ah, we never made it there.   We got as far as Jim Thorpe which was a nice day trip.  The Poconos looked beautiful, esp. in the winter .   

Respected Contributor

Years ago my sister and I went to Disney.  We were at a small non Disney restaurant — maybe 10-15 miles away. Someone calling my name, my sister said someone is calling you over there.  I said they must mean someone else.   It was a guy I worked with years before there with his wife.  It was just weird at an unknown place 800 miles from home.   

Honored Contributor

This small world story happened to my DH, a couple of years before l met him.

He went to a “singles” dance, which were popular in the ‘70s. He saw a girl who he was interested in, and asked her to dance. In getting to know each other, they asked each other “How old are you.” Same age... “When’s your birthday.” Same bithhday... “What year?” Same year... This was starting to get spooky. But it gets even better.

Then they asked each other “In what city were you born?” Same city... “Which hospital.” Same hospital!!! Their mothers might have even been roommates in the same maternity ward! 

This relationship sounded like it was Karma, and meant-to-be. They dated for over a year, and were going to get engaged. But once DH brought her home to meet the family, things didn’t go well. They broke up a few months later.

I met him about 6 months after that, and the rest is history! Lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

35 or so years ago my husband and I along with 2 of his brothers and their wives went to a new restaurant 40 miles away in the next state.  All of a sudden my 1 BIL stated laughing and said "isn't that xxxx over there?"   We all looked across the room to a dimly lit corner to see a guy from our town having a romantic dinner with another woman. It was clearly not a business dinner.

He saw us about the same time and looked like he wished the floor would open up and swallow him.  We never told a soul,  but within 6 months he was divorced and married his dinner companion.

Same thing happened to friends and I.  We worked at same military installation and there had long been rumors that one of our married high ranking military was having an affair with a younger woman in the command.

We retired and travelled a lot and were walking around St. Bart, saw these two and he was still married.  Years later we heard that he'd later divorced and married this woman.  

FF a few years and he died and there were two obituaries in the paper on the same day.  The first obituary was obviously written by his kids and did not mention their father's second wife/life.  The second obit was sent in from the new wife and did not mention his previous life or any of his children.