Honored Contributor

Re: Shabbat Shalom and Happy Weekend to ALL Friday June 19

Shabbat Shalom and a Happy Weekend to everyone who reads and posts here.

My heart breaks for the people of Charleston, for all who grieve.  I've spent a lot of time there and I love that city and her residents.

May we find a way to learn that we all have so much more "in common" than "in difference," and may we work to foster compassion and peace.  This is my prayer today.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Good Shabbos all, happy first weekend of Summer, althought we are supposed to get the tail end of hurricane Bill this weekend.

I am still trying to process the horrible murders this past week, there are some really horrible crazed people out there, I pray that they get the help they so need. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Almost ready to head out for a long day.

Good Shabbos and weekend to everyone posting and reading this thread.

Thank you for your good thoughts for Mom.

Please keep a good thought for my husband. He is flying home from a business trip.    Safe travels, honey.

Hope everyone has a great Saturday.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Esteemed Contributor

@dmod nj wrote:

Please keep a good thought for my husband. He is flying home from a business trip.    Safe travels, honey.

Hi Donna, keeping good thoughts for your husband!! May he fly home safely, right into your waiting arms! 

Thank you everyone for posting here. Being it's our new home, do you think we should get a box of salt and a broom for good luck? (Has anyone ever heard of this tradition (superstition?) or is that a regional thing? 

Have a beautiful weekend! xox

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Hmmm, Isn't that an eastern European tradition? I have heard of it but never done it. 

Trusted Contributor

Spoiler
Smiley Happy

HI SUNNY AND EVERYONE!

Although this new board is not like "the old days", I am glad to see y'all!  Blessings and smiles to all of you good people.

Health and happiness for Shabbat and for all of your days.

-Solar  Heart

Spoiler
:
Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@dmod nj wrote:

Hi Donna, keeping good thoughts for your husband!! May he fly home safely, right into your waiting arms! 

Thank you everyone for posting here. Being it's our new home, do you think we should get a box of salt and a broom for good luck? (Has anyone ever heard of this tradition (superstition?) or is that a regional thing? 

Hi Sunny,

He landed safely and is home. Thanks for the good thoughts.  He was in Milan and Lake Maggiore for a week. 

My husband's Irish grandmother, Nana, would always bring a loaf of bread, salt, wine, candle and broom.  

Let me be the first to leave those items  at our new home.   May all who read and post here be blessed.

Heart

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Esteemed Contributor

@Solar wrote:
Spoiler
Smiley Happy

HI SUNNY AND EVERYONE!

Although this new board is not like "the old days", I am glad to see y'all!  Blessings and smiles to all of you good people.

Health and happiness for Shabbat and for all of your days.

-Solar  Heart

Spoiler
:

Hi Solar, my sun sister! It's so good to see you. We are here, no matter what. Hey, we're Wandering Jews, and we settle wherever we can. Right? 

Please come back next Friday and say hi. I've missed you Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I just googled the salt and a broom tradition, and this is what I discovered. 

It is an old Jewish tradition to give salt, bread and a broom when someone moves into a new home as a housewarming gift. Salt is to season your life, the bread is so you will not go hungry, and the broom is to sweep your troubles or sorrows away. Sugar may be added to sweeten your life. The Italian also had a similar tradition but added holy water for blessing in life.

Sounds good to me!

Honored Contributor

My Mom always said

Salt for the spice of lif

Sugar for the sweet of life

Bread the staff of life and 

a candle for light 

@dmod nj wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@dmod nj wrote:

Hi Sunny,

He landed safely and is home. Thanks for the good thoughts.  He was in Milan and Lake Maggiore for a week. 

My husband's Irish grandmother, Nana, would always bring a loaf of bread, salt, wine, candle and broom.  

Let me be the first to leave those items  at our new home.   May all who read and post here be blessed.

Heart

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.