Honored Contributor

IMO their reaction was out of guilt.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

Honestly, @mintedrose ,it depends on what you said and how you said it. If you implied the owners were negligent in keeping their pets safe, or saying that they were somehow to blame, or that you yourself would never be so careless, then I can understand their reaction. 

Just throwing this out as another possibility. If course I was not there.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Foxxee  @mintedrose

I would have gone on the defensive even if it wasn't my pet. You didn't mean it as judgmental but it is the type that comes across that way. People are scared and worried when a pet gets loose and it affects how they interpret such a question.

@Foxxee   It's rarely negligence.  Like kids, animals are curious and can find even the tiniest escapes in a split second.  Stuff happens.  A little compassion goes a long way.  

Esteemed Contributor

People can get quite defensive if they perceive they are being judged harshly.  There are irresponsible guardians of animals, to be sure.  But then there are instances where a pet can escape, and it creates much anguish.

Honored Contributor

In general now, I'm more careful with words. People tend to be short of patience and grumpy...and with reason. Look what's going on around our country. 

Honored Contributor
If you were a pet stuck in the house with your human 24/7 - you would probably leave home too!
Respected Contributor

@mintedrose I do not know if it was sarcasm or just hostile.  One of our preachers in our area said we are in a time when our world has become hostile and vile in our ways.  This too is a prime example and I literally would not respond.  The only one who has a right to judge you is the Lord so let it go!

Honored Contributor

It seems like just about every day, a dog is lost/missing in our general area.

And, I've (secretly) thought:  How does a dog escape from a well fenced yard or inside a house. (?)

Btw:

There is a cutie who seems to be outdoors, on and near busy streets, almost every two or so days.

Owners tells folks that he doesn't cross the street..........However, neighbors see him everywhere....up, down, and across the streets.

I think he jumps out of their always open window.  (Which is dangerous, as the window is about 5' or more high.

Not being sarcastic, it's just that I'm often wondering 'why' and 'how', etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Yesterday driving home I saw the most beautiful dog running in the road -- poor thing was obviously scared & lost.

I was flicking the lights and blowing the horn to alert oncoming drivers - I pulled over to side of road.  The dog looked well groomed, collared.  

I am scared of dogs I don't know but God Bless this young man behind me pulled over to help.

He jumped out of his truck and immediately grabbed the dog.  I had bottles of water, he gave dog water & I called the number on the tags.  The older lady didn't know he got out of yard.

I can only assume a happy ending because he & sweet puppy drove away together to take him to his owner.

So, when I see these type of posts on FB & NextDoor I only hope these owners find their pets especially with so many sad stories of alligators or coyotes lately attacking innocent animals.

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1   May God Bless You for helping a frightened animal!  What a nice thing to do especially since you are frightened of dogs.  It shows what a good, kind person you are.