Valued Contributor

Ive been seeing a lot of posts about lost pets in my neighborhood lately. Lost dog, cat, parrot, turtle etc etc.... everyday.

So, me and a couple of neighbors asked out of concern as to why it was happening and for some of us they're just like our kids. Its worrisome with all the scorching heat and the pandemic, It pains me to see them lost. Couple of women responded in a strange hostile sarcasm and said that I should'nt judge them and then turned around and judged me assuming the worst lol. It ended with them saying something like this: "if we all can be as perfect as you."

I mean in reality, everyone judges on this planet. Although, I was not judging but asking a question out of concern. 

I really dont understand sarcasm because to me personally its just childish. Did I just hit a nerve? How do You respond? 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Honored Contributor

@mintedrose 

How do I respond? To something like you mention, I probably won't. 

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

The world is getting to be a very strange place .. I too notice that

people are immediately on the defensive .....ready to argue at the

drop of a hat ....I think reality TV makes it seem like the norn....

Honored Contributor

@mintedrose 

I understand sarcasm.  I think everyone in my family is sarcastic but it does not usually translate well to the written word.  

I would just ignore the comment.  

Respected Contributor

Forget sarcasm...how in the world does someone lose a pet turtle?

Esteemed Contributor

@mintedrose I completely understand your concern but if I may ask, did you only speak to those who had a sign posted about a missing pet and did you go as a group? While there is no excuse for rudeness I  wonder if they felt accused. Some people get defensive so quickly even in general conversation. I would have walked away to avoid any escalation and not say what I really wanted to say. 

Respected Contributor

Perhaps the pet owners felt you were being judgmental about the way the people take care of their pets because you said you were comparing them to your children. Instead of your comment sounding concerned, it probably sounded critical.

I am sure nobody wants to ever lose a pet, but I wonder what kind of neighborhood you live in--are there lots and lots of families and children and pets?  Is it noisy, and is there a lot of movement?  Do children run around and pets follow? 

Animals can be unpredictable.  I had a dog who could climb or jump any fence and frequently escaped, although we always got him back and he lived until 18.  When I was a little girl, one of my pet cats would always try to run outside.  A pet turtle sitting in a yard could potentially be grabbed by a hawk.  A bird can easily fly out in a second when a door opens.  

Yes, I know from experience because I have had all these pets and still have many!

I would have told the worried neighbors that I was sorry for their loss and I would be keeping an eye out for the pets, and please let me know if I can help in any other way.  

Honored Contributor

Ignore them.  They aren't worth your time.  They are probably negligent and don't want to be caught.  

Respected Contributor

@mintedrose 

I care NOT about WHAT some rando human says to me or thinks about me-(true story).

I DO HOWEVER always CARE ABOUT AN ANIMAL in DISTRESS for ANY REASON, and will always respond with my concern for animals front and center.

Had someone said that to me I'dve replied - Grow Up, it's about my concern for the animals. 

Trusted Contributor

@mintedrose  You probably hit a nerve with them! Their only defense was sarcasm. ??

F/N/A luvstogarden