Honored Contributor

All my life, it's been quote and unquote. So easy.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: STOP! Grammar Time...

[ Edited ]

@Justice4all wrote:

@MacDUFF

Your chart is hilarious. Hebrew is opposite because it is writen right to left.

Quote unquote is an idiom that rolls off the tongue.....

And I could care less is like negative infinity.

Hi @Justice4all

Yes, I know Hebrew is right to left...I have a Women's Siddur that I received as a gift and use periodically throughout the year...love to read all the beautiful, ancient prayers.  It's written in English, but formatted right to left, and I still cannot remember to turn the pages from right to left [ETA:  or is it the other way around?  See? LOL].  But, the point of the chart was to show the usage of "close quote"...granted it was not the best shot I ever took lol.

"Quote unquote" does not roll off my tongue!  I honestly thought it wasn't a word!  But...defined as an idiom!  Now that's something I can [quote end quote] sink my teeth into...

And I have to remember "negative infinity!"  So true!

I learn something new from y'all every day!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

This is a very enjoyable thread!

I cringe often with the basics, but what really upsets me is the teachers I have come in contact with who don't know the difference between plural and possessive.  Very sad.

Honored Contributor

IMG_0083.JPG

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

IMG_0084.JPG

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

How about the incorrect use of "lose" and "loose"?  I see those used incorrectly a lot.  

@gidgetgh, you are so right. And how about "your" (possessive) and "you're" (contraction for "you are")

... and "its" (possessive) and "it's" (contraction for "it is").

Smiley Happy

Contributor

For several years I tried to teach my eighth grade students that there is no word

ALOT.  If one refers to a great number of something, it is written as two

separate words:  a lot.  There is a word ALLOT which means something

completely different.  If you are guilty of using ALOT, please cease!

Honored Contributor

How about all right vs alright? That gets me. All wrong, all right.

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting situation happened in our area.  Our Board of Education fired literally on the spot and gal who had just been hired to take care of information by way of the Internet to inform the public  about our schools.  A student used twitter to ask if the schools would be shut down tomorra   Perish the thought she tweeted back that the kid should want to go to school to learn how to spell the word.  Firestorm... no idea why... really she was right but the higher ups did not think so. 

I will add, in my last year of teaching language arts.... I was not allowed to teach.... 1. spelling  2.   grammar.     I was told they WOULD GET IT  and I was to concentrate on thinking skills. I thought about that and I RETIRED.    I AM NOT MAKING THIS ONE UP....

Honored Contributor

Re: STOP! Grammar Time...

[ Edited ]

Wow, Bonnie!   That whole thing is wrong, from being told to not correct the misspeller to the fact that you were told not to teach these, very important, classes.  Smiley Sad

We are in the midst of language regression.  This is not a good thing.  

I can understand language evolving over the years/decades, but what we are seeing is not evolution.  It is devolution.    But then, as soon as they put 'aint' in the dictionary, I think I mentally gave up.   Sorry, but that was not a good choice, nor is the mis-use of words that are now considered acceptable.    How many ways can we show, in this country, that we are a bunch of morons?  (that is a rhetorical question)