Trusted Contributor

I just had a new roof put on. The "smokestack" that is over the bathroom area doesn't stick straight up====it leans toward the street. The roofer doesn't seem to think it is a problem. I have no idea who I could ask about this to see if I should make him redo it. Anyone else ever had this problem

Respected Contributor

Is this the plumbing pipe that vents the toilet, sink, etc or the venting for your bathroom exhaust fan?  Possibly a plumber could advise you. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Roofing question

[ Edited ]

I have no idea if this affects the function of it, BUT it would drive me nuts to look at a crooked stack pipe.  I don't know who you could call.  I think it is up to the roofer to put it right.

Have you paid him the final draw yet? 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee  He's in the business of roofing. He replaces those pipes all of the time. Have his crew return and redo it correctly. It removes the moist air from your bathroom, as well as the gases from your plumbing. If not done correctly, the interior of your home could begin to smell or become mouldy. Insist on having it done to your satisfaction. You are paying for it! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

It's probably the ventalitation  pipe for the plumbing.  This pipe has to be able to let air in and air out.  If it is leaning so far as to block complete veneration, it would be a problem.  If it is leaning just a little and not blocking veneration, it will not cause a problem

If you don't like the looks of it, call the roofer back and ask him to fix it.

I hope he did not do any damage to the pipe under the roofthat you can't see. Can you have someone else. check in the attic or crawl space?  I wonder how he bent it.

It could be dangerous if your plumbing is not properly vented..not to mention sewer backups.

Honored Contributor

Tell the roofer you are going to put up a sign in the yard saying that company installed this crooked pipe on your house.  That should incentivize the group. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just got a new roof in August but I don't have a smoke stack - so not clear about that pipe.  As another asked you - vent to bathroom?   vent to eliminate gas smells from your toilet plumbing?

I would call a general contractor (company) and or a home inspector like a homeowner would hire before selling their home.  Yes, I would get it checked out.

On my rental - a rather large building - I do have a an exhaust pipe due to the number of bathrooms. 

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

It's probably the ventalitation  pipe for the plumbing.  This pipe has to be able to let air in and air out.  If it is leaning so far as to block complete veneration, it would be a problem.  If it is leaning just a little and not blocking veneration, it will not cause a problem

@Carmie, what is the meaning of veneration in the context of plumbing?  Just curious, and Google was no help.

Honored Contributor

@nomless  My son who is an HVAC Tech is here visiting, so I asked him.

He said that every water source..sinks and toilets, clothes washers, etc. with a drain in your home must be vented to the outside.  These vents let sewer gas out instead of having it gather inside of your home.

They also create an airflow that allows water and waste to go down the drain and allow some water to remain in the P-trap.  This water keeps the sewer gas from backing up the pipes into your home. It relies on a gravity system.

If there was a blockage in the vents, the water would not flow down the drain and sewer gas would back up.

He said some other technical things too....way over my head.  He said our home has three of these vents on the roof for different areas of the house.

Honored Contributor

I had a few of these that were a bit crooked, and when my roof got replaced, they set them all straight and also sprayed them to match the new roof color.  

I think the roofers are responsible