Honored Contributor

Re: Ringing in the New Year at the Back Fence (January 2019)

I awoke this morning to an emergency alert on my cell phone.  It said something along the lines of Consumers requests people turn down their thermostats.  It was so weird I thought it might be a hoax.  I didn't catch the late news last night so I missed the announcement that a gas compressor (?) plant in Macomb County caught on fire.

Once I logged on to email today I saw that my gas supplier (Consumers Energy) was asking residents and companies to back down on gas usage for the next 48 hours.  Even though I'm known to run cold in the summer, lol, I've been backing down my thermostat one degree at a time.  Apparently my electricity supplier (DTE) is concerned about the power grid we in Michigan are connected to so I'm watching that too.

Pretty much the only thing running is my furnace, fridge, one TV and this computer.  I'm even watching my hot water consumption so that my gas water heater doesn't have to work hard.

Downstairs, especially the family room (which is on a slab and has a fireplace) is kind of chilly.  I have a fireplace plug in the flue (is that what it's called?) and clear plastic over the front of the fireplace.  Heat rises so the upstairs is pretty comfy.  

Some people are griping big time on facebook.  My philosophy is do what you can to help.  Every little bit is a contribution.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

WOW,it’s been single digits cold here in No. Va. something we rarely deal with. But tues. it going to be 63deg.

Went to my pain dr. yesterday,he asked me if I was getting implants once I got my teeth pulled. No way, I told him it would cost 25,000. At 73 years of age that’s just too much money,I can use that for our old age instead. He told me the name of a dental school in Va. university that would do implants,for my whole upper mouth for 6-7 thousand. Think I’ll get in contact with them,sounds like a good deal,plus not having those false teeth,that everyone says is hard to get used to.

everyone stay warm safe and Winifred,stay dry.

Honored Contributor

@Epicurean  It's worth checking out.  

Trusted Contributor

totally agree!

Honored Contributor

The Back Fence is ready for February 

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Among-Friends/Back-Fence-February-2019/m-p/5232301#M304182