Honored Contributor

Re: Retirees - how do you structure your days?

I notice that many here enjoy friendships. In a way, I am envious. Sure I've had wonderful friends in my lifetime, but not so much now. There are a couple, but we mostly text occasionally.

I'm not complaining because the fact is that I've never fostered friends the way most people do. And I am NOT a joiner, so looking for groups to join is not going to happen.

Am I the only one in this situation?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

We are much busier than when we worked. 

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 

On the recommendation of a friend, I've already joined the Newcomers Club in my new area. It's a wonderful place to make friends.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I notice that many here enjoy friendships. In a way, I am envious. Sure I've had wonderful friends in my lifetime, but not so much now. There are a couple, but we mostly text occasionally.

I'm not complaining because the fact is that I've never fostered friends the way most people do. And I am NOT a joiner, so looking for groups to join is not going to happen.

Am I the only one in this situation?

@suzyQ3 you're not alone. DH and I are both introverted and we don't have any friends in our area. I'll be retiring next year but DH will be working for another 7 years so I'm going to have to figure out what to do with myself!

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ 

I'm with you!  I retired eff. 4/01 this year.  I don't structure my day either after all the years of doing it at work.  Each retired person has to figure out what's good for themselves.  I was told before retiring that "it's not as good as you'd think.  Gotta find something to keep you busy."  Not so, for me anyways.  Each day is different & depends on where the day takes me.  I'm enjoying the freedom of going where I want, when I want .. not having to do errands after work or saving them mostly for weekends.  I'm so done with that.  So far, I find life to be good & relaxing.

There are many things a person can do to stay active & socialize.  I mix some of that in as well.  

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@suzyQ3 

On the recommendation of a friend, I've already joined the Newcomers Club in my new area. It's a wonderful place to make friends.

@house_cat, thank you. I did that when we bought our first house way back when. But we moved to our second house where we live now 17 years ago.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

It is 2pm here and I have been up since 5:49.

Did some wash.

Just might get off my bum and work on eating.

Or go all wild and crazy and cook up hummingbird nectar!  Naw, too extreme 🧑🏻‍🦳

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 

It may or may not be for you, but I don't think they. require you to be new to the area.

~ house cat ~
Regular Contributor

I agree withKachina624. Iam the same way I worked  a lot of years with a routine. If I want to sleep in I do it and don't feel guilty. Some days I read half the day and other days I clean shop and enjoy my retirement.

Honored Contributor

I work.  I have always worked since I retired from teaching.

My first interview was 6 weeks before I retired from teaching.  I was a Dillards stylist.  No one could keep up with me.  

I had so much in my dressing rooms, I had a time returning it to the right fixture and hurt my sciatic nerve.  

Now I work in a national clothing boutique and won't stop.Smiley Happy