Esteemed Contributor

What a great story @Annabellethecat66    Thanks for sharing.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee 

Such a sweet memory!

We weren't allowed cereal very often, but those boxes were like gold!

Sometimes there would be a "special offer" for something or other.  

I also miss the liner notes in vinyl records.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I remember when I  was in 3rd grade. ( 1963)   We moved for one year to renovate our house.  There was a small grocery store accross the street.  My mother would give me quarter to buy a box of cereal.  I could get any kind I wanted.

The  truly good ones with prizes in the box or cut out features on the back of the box  were twenty- seven cents.

My mother would not give me two cents more.  We had to live within our means, I was told.  Oh, how times changed.

😢❤️

Respected Contributor

I remember getting a glass diamond ring as a cracker Jack's prize.

Contributor
My brother and I would pick the cereal according to the prize/surprise at the bottom. It was exciting! Such simpler happy times.
Honored Contributor

That is absolutely the truth.  We did seem to enjoy reading while eating, didn't we.  Or if Look or Life magazine arrived.  Then there was Reader's Digest. That's a really small book now. Sad to say.

Respected Contributor

I think part of reading at the kitchen table while eating serves another function....it's "relaxing" and seems to make eating easier...

I read here at the computer when I eat my one main meal each day...

I think it's the same reason reading in the bathroom is so popular. ( And I hope I have not offended anyone!!!)  

Remember when the bathroom was sometimes called "the reading room" or when your Dad took the rolled up newspaper and you knew where he was headed?

I suppose people now use the smart phone for the same purpose....

When alone, I don't mind reading at the table, but if someone prepared a meal for me or there was someone here to talk to, no way would I take out a paper or a phone to "read" while eating!!!

Honored Contributor

@CandieGirl wrote:
My brother and I would pick the cereal according to the prize/surprise at the bottom. It was exciting! Such simpler happy times.

@CandieGirl  - I also picked out the cereal according to the surprise inside.  The cereal didn't matter.  It was all about the surprise.

Honored Contributor

I miss a much simpler uncomplicated life. 

Simple things meant so much.

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

I think part of reading at the kitchen table while eating serves another function....it's "relaxing" and seems to make eating easier...

I read here at the computer when I eat my one main meal each day...

I think it's the same reason reading in the bathroom is so popular. ( And I hope I have not offended anyone!!!)  

Remember when the bathroom was sometimes called "the reading room" or when your Dad took the rolled up newspaper and you knew where he was headed?

I suppose people now use the smart phone for the same purpose....

When alone, I don't mind reading at the table, but if someone prepared a meal for me or there was someone here to talk to, no way would I take out a paper or a phone to "read" while eating!!!

Growing up, our bathroom was called "the library".