Respected Contributor

Sick of hearing how busy everyone is,,,busy moms etc....

I had two children (three if you count my husband who was no help).  I worked a full time job with varying long hours and still was able to call my mom everyday to check on her, eat dinner once a week with family and still had time for friends.  My house was clean and laudry was done.  I could not work at home, order groceries online (pre computer days) and sometimes only one car.  Had no dishwasher, robot vacuum, or cell phone.  There was nothing to make life easier.  Back then there were still 24 hours in a day.  My children did sports and other acitivities too.  I just get so sick of hearing how busy everyone is like it is something new.  When I don't hear from someone for a long time and they go into how busy they are I want to scream.  Everyone is busy and has always been busy but I feel like things are a little easier now.  You make time for what is important or who is important.  Just my rant for the day.  

Valued Contributor

Re: Sick of hearing how busy everyone is,,,busy moms etc....

@chiclet wrote:

I had two children (three if you count my husband who was no help).  I worked a full time job with varying long hours and still was able to call my mom everyday to check on her, eat dinner once a week with family and still had time for friends.  My house was clean and laudry was done.  I could not work at home, order groceries online (pre computer days) and sometimes only one car.  Had no dishwasher, robot vacuum, or cell phone.  There was nothing to make life easier.  Back then there were still 24 hours in a day.  My children did sports and other acitivities too.  I just get so sick of hearing how busy everyone is like it is something new.  When I don't hear from someone for a long time and they go into how busy they are I want to scream.  Everyone is busy and has always been busy but I feel like things are a little easier now.  You make time for what is important or who is important.  Just my rant for the day.  

I agree with you a 100%...We also cooked meals..no take out or drive thru.

Honored Contributor

Some people handle stress better than others...not making an excuse for being ignored however.

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet 

Forgive me, but I'm laughing a little at your post....But in a GOOD way.

We had a saying at work for the people that were always "so busy."   On close observation, it was noted that they really weren't doing all that much, but were "busy being busy."  Especially if they were carrying a clipboard.

QVC and others have been using this spiel for a long time, but I no longer watch, so I've missed it.  One reason I stopped watching.

I don't have children, but yes, I'm busy and have been all my life.  

Since working involved a 2 hour commute each way to a high stress job in Washington, DC, I didn't have a lot of time to put my feet up and ponder the universe.

Yet, I shopped, cooked dinner every night, cared for my parents, made lunches for me and my husband, cleaned the house, entertained family and friends, and, somehow, managed to survive.

No one handed out any awards, and I didn't expect any.

Now that I'm retired, I'm still busy, but who cares?  I just do my own thing and try to be peaceful and happy no matter what's on the agenda.

And, that's my rant for the day Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

We didn't have to check Twitter, Instagram, etc. every few minutes.Woman LOL

Valued Contributor

I also am sick of that statement about being SO BUSY.  My daughter uses that on me all of the time.  

My other daughter who works in hospital is total different.  

One calls her parents at least ever week and the other calls when her busy schedule lets her.

One cooks all of their meals, clean house, etc.   The other daughter takes out food, dirty house, etc.

How did I raise to different people?  Bogles my mind!

And yes, I do call, text them to make sure we have contact. 

Honored Contributor

They have been saying that for years and years, and yes I find it boring, repetative, and demeaning.  However, I guess they have to fill in the time alotted for each item, so there is a lot of verbal trivial dribble.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

Also they always say "busy moms". Other people are busy too. 

Honored Contributor

Busy is relative. You were lucky you were able to accomplish all that you did. Not everyone can.  And it's wrong to criticize those who can't. Remember, the grass is always greener on the other side.

I did all the things you did and more... husband ran out on the kids and me so I raised kids alone and handled their sports and other activities. Add the stress of being the only income. Add what it did to my kids when H ran. And so much more.  It nearly killed me at times. I would sometimes take a PTO day to do nothing but catch up on me-time. 

Honored Contributor

Along the same lines, in a Facebook group I belong to I often, well not often but sometimes,  hear "life got in the way".  And I have certainly heard it elsewhere.

"I didn't get that package returned on time....life got in the way". 

"I meant to do the online request for free Covid tests, but life got in the way". 

On and on.  It's just another excuse for not getting something done.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?