Honored Contributor

@jeanlake I enjoyed reading your story. Every now and then we will see a Red Cardinal in the backyard. Thanks for sharing. 

Esteemed Contributor

Future Red Cardinal visits will be special for me. Previously I didn't pay that much attention.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Cardinal was my dad's favorite bird. I have so many where I live now that it would be hard for me to say this has a special meaning. However, when I lived up North, it never failed every year on Yankee opening day there was a cardinal either in a tree, on our birdfeeder on the deck or near to where I walked.

Trusted Contributor

@jeanlake: I thought I heard something about cardinals & loved ones who've paased, so reading your post couldn't have come at a better time. I've been dealing with a family issue the past few weeks,  & missing/appreciating my parents' wisdom & guidance, &, just when I'm having those thoughts, I'll look out the window & see a cardinal!  I'd  dismiss it at first, but it kept happening! It's comforting to think that maybe they are "paying a visit" to say that everything's going to work out okay! It's a nice thought...

Valued Contributor

My parents favorite bird was a cardinal. They loved to watch all kinds of birds, but they loved the cardinals.

Last year my dad passed on July 4th. That was a Tuesday. Was so busy with family & friends, that I wasn't really home much until Sunday. I was sitting on my couch and pretty soon, a cardinal landed in the tree in my front yard. It wasn't there long, but I know it was my dad letting me know things were fine.

Then a couple of weeks ago, I had to have a/c serviced. I know I need a new one, but will have to wait a few more months. Of course, the salesman wanted to sell my a unit waaaaay over & above what I need. Told him I couldn't afford that, and was going to wait to get what I need. Had a couple of other things go wrong and was feeling very depressed. I went out on my deck the next day and a cardinal sat on my garage for a little while. I know it was my parents letting me know that things will work out.

cookin

Esteemed Contributor

@Foolywooly11 Enjoyed your story. Husband adored his grandpa, who left the earth when he was my husband's current age. Anyhoo -- husband has been thinking of his grandfather since his recent birthday. When he sees multiple cardinals, he smiles, thinking of his friend and his grandfather. Regardless of the reality, it's a lovely way to once again feel the presence of someone who has passed. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@cookinfreakwhat a sweet story. Thank you for sharing. 

Honored Contributor

I live in the South, Cardinals visit my yard almost every day year round, I love them!  Usually more male than female, I like to think it is my father checking on me since he died so young and I miss him so much!Heart

Trusted Contributor

I am a bird lover, and the cardinal is state bird for both Ohio and S. Carolina.  When we retired to SC from OH a red male cardinal and his girlfriend took up residence in our backyard.  He was very territorial and would flutter around our high sky windows pecking at the glass.  Was rather annoying because went on for years ;-)  Last year we moved again, from SC to Florida, and I think our cardinal came with us!  He is back to living in my yard and fluttering around my high window in our great room, pecking away.  We would love for him to take a little flying vacation, but he shows no signs of leaving, and I've read that cardinals never fly more than 5 miles away from their home yard.  Lucky us.  If our cardinal is the spirit of a departed loved one, I wish that family member would please choose another venue to use for his/her appearances.  And Daddy, if that cardinal is you, I'm gonna get ya back when i get to Heaven.  Smiley Very Happy