Honored Contributor

Re: Recipe Box and Address Books

If you have recipe cards, go to an office store, get a notebook and some plastic pages and make your own book.

My hard and true recipes are in a 3" three ring notebook with edges that won't close.  The origonal notebook was started when I was a sophmore in HS.

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom ...I have an address book that is probably 20 years old!!  I write  only in pencil so I can erase as needed.  Good luck finding something!  

Respected Contributor

I, too, have used an address book, and found out how hard they were to find when I went hunting for a new one ("dec." next to too many names). A check of Amazon reviews revealed poor quality books with lightweight bond where ink bled through. How I miss our local stationery stores!

However, Barnes & Noble to the rescue, with an assortment of larger address books! Also, they had one tab per letter, rather than A-B, C-D, etc. So I picked up one just a couple of weeks ago.

As for the recipe boxes, I have a double oak box which is about 40 years old, and a nice stainless steel one. I like to use those, along with keeping them in a computer file.

My favorite, however, is a "personal" cookbook in which I've written our most-used family favorites. Again, these can be found at Barnes & Noble, especially at holiday time in the Exceptional Value (formerly known as "Budget") section lol. They make nice gifts, too.

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 , OMG girl, what a treasure you have!

Ohio Art is still in business. Much company history is online. They were the makers of the original Etch A Sketch.

Contributor

The Personalization Mall has Recipe Boxes and Cards.  I have ordered them, plus many other various items, and everything has been exceptional quality. It's a really nice company, I think you would be pleased.

Honored Contributor

A few years before Mom passed, she rewrote all her recipes and gave each of us 7 kids recipe boxes for Christmas. The boxes are colorful, metal and hold 4x6 cards.  It's so cool to have her recipes, especially in her handwriting.  

Respected Contributor

Understand frustration in searching for recipe box.  I had searched a few years ago and came up empty_handed.  I ended up arranging a Rubbermaid plastic shoebox with divi ders.  Takes up some room but easy to add to.  Like the binder idea but struggle finding room. I have an address book that I purchased at Hallmark and am SLOWLY transferring from my 40 year old book.  I find this item priceless!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@tarsmom ...I have an address book that is probably 20 years old!!  I write  only in pencil so I can erase as needed.  Good luck finding something!  

It probably sounds kinda dumb on my end, but this was something I had to learn some time back.  Not for everything, but for something like this that can change from time to time, use a pencil - not a pen!

I have my own weird left-handed person preferences for pens and pencils so I keep a lifetime supply of both of my favs on hand.  I love the #4 pencil (Ticonderoga extra-hard #4) that nobody else seems to love, so I always have several boxes of those.  I also have a pen that I love (Pilot BP-S fine pt blue) so I also have several boxes of those.   I have to do this because it seems like everything I really like becomes obsolete.   

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@blackhole99 , OMG girl, what a treasure you have!

Ohio Art is still in business. Much company history is online. They were the makers of the original Etch A Sketch.

@Snowpuppy  I did check them out and was surprised to see my recipe box being sold as vintage from the 50's.

Respected Contributor

I found some nice recipe boxes on amazon.

doxie