Valued Contributor

Recipe Box and Address Books

We were cleaning our home the other day and I noticed by the phone (yes we still have a landline) that my hubby still has our old tiny Rolodex-type holder for addresses.  I said we should look for something else (along with my old wood recipe box.  

Well, I've been to a few stores - Hobby Lobby, TJ Maxx, etc. and I haven't been able to find a thing out in the stores.  

I guess I'm a child of the 70's where we used recipe cards and address books - my mom had them so I did, too.  

I know everything can be stored in your phone and I can look up recipes on the internet but not some of the old family ones.  

Has anyone seem these items in retail or have they gone the way of the dinosaur?  (I am 64).  Smiley Happy

Contributor

Re: Recipe Box and Address Books

I have one that is made of wood. I found it in a store that sells country type things. I also have another one  that looks like plastic. it has a kitchen design on it, but I can't remember where I bought it.  I am thinking you might find one in Crackel Barrel. some where you can find unique things.  They are out there, you just have to look for them.

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom 

Hallmark sells these (cards and books), and if you like to shop online, Etsy and Amazon would be good sources for personalized recipe cards. 

Valued Contributor

@Oueen of everythinh nice wrote:

I have one that is made of wood. I found it in a store that sells country type things. I also have another one  that looks like plastic. it has a kitchen design on it, but I can't remember where I bought it.  I am thinking you might find one in Crackel Barrel. some where you can find unique things.  They are out there, you just have to look for them.

Thank you Bibbee!

Honored Contributor

You can find address books at most big box stores like, WalMart, Target, etc., they may also have the recipe boxes with cards or any kitchen supply store has them.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Amazon sells a lot of nice recipe boxes.

Honored Contributor

levenger makes great items and they do have address book paper. you can customize their notebooks to include anything you want and they are easy to add onto.

hallmark stores usually have a nice selection of recipe boxes, recipe binders, cards, and address books.

also check out etsy and ebay.

bed, bath, and beyond has recipe cards, boxes, and binders......some are customizable.

also check our the cr gibson website. you can find their items in many gift stores, but you can also purchase directly from them.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think you can do it anyway you want to do it.   I actually have a 'recipe binder' and that works well for me.  I also have a zillion (including all the ones in the binder) recipes saved on computers and ext. hard drives.

I do have kind of an address book type thing but I really have so few contacts that I have no recollection of most of them.   The ones currently used are saved on the landline phone and my cell phone.  I don't really give out my cell phone #  much, so the list of contacts is quite short.   

Some things are just fine to do the old way.   I keep checkbooks and the checkbook log into which I actually WRITE the transactions.   I have absolutely no plan of changing that, either.

I also still keep written logs for bill paying.  I log when a given bill arrives (99.9% by email) and then put a check on it when I've paid that bill.  It's a two layer system, for each the household bills and my personal ones (my credit accounts) because I'm getting stupid now, and that works great to make sure when each bill arrives and when each one is paid.  I never had kids so the most important thing is paying my bills.

I also have a *folder for the bills, as well as orders I make.   I save the statement emails in that folder, as well as the 'thank you for your order' emails.  When I pay a bill I put that email in and delete the stmt email.  SAme thing with making online orders - when an order is shipped I replace the order email with the 'shipped' email and then when I receive the order I can delete the shipped email.

I have a fairly high sense of order so doing these things makes it easy for me.   Smiley Happy

ETA - not a physical folder, but a folder in my email program.

Esteemed Contributor

I have recipe cards, too. One of my favorite things is to go thru them before the holidays. Many a memory there so not ridding myself anytime, soon. I did find a double file wooden box at a local Amish store.

I came across an old personal phone book, too. I had a ahem, Little Black Book in the day. You know, emergency numbers. 😙

I'll have a glass of wine and then toss it.

Honored Contributor

I never owned a Rolodex, but we did have one at work back in the 70's. I did have a wooden recipe box with family recipes in it that my aunt gave me for a bridal shower gift. I don't have the wooden box, but I still have the recipes in my aunts own handwriting. When my MIL died I came in possession of her metal recipe box from the 40's or 50's with the coveted recipes she would never give you. The recipe box is painted white with a lobster on the front and a salad bowl on the lid, it was It was made by Ohio Art Co., Bryan, Ohio.If you can believe it, it still has the price sticker on it, it's yellow with age and all I can make out is 3 cents. Surely it cost more than that.