Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd 

IMO, this would be a very bad idea.

We just looked up a local moving company and they just charged so much an hour for their services.  It didn't matter if you moved across town or just needed stuff moved around within your own home.  It may even be less expensive if you hired them for a weekday since most people need to move over a weekend and weekends would be their busiest time.

It might be more difficult during these trying times to hire someone quick, but PLEASE don't bring in men just off the streets!  Too risky.

Respected Contributor

Hire a reputable company in your area that does odd jobs. Since you are moving things inside your home not to another location. If you were moving to another place I would say hire a moving company. Don't ever hire someone off the street to do things. They can case your home and come back later or even steal things when you are right there. Dangerous Red Flag!

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone....the consensus is to find an alternative.  Thank you for the great ideas!Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Never ever hire someone that doesn't have credentials and those people don't. To much risk of a lawsuit, robbery all to save a few bucks. 

Honored Contributor

And I also wanted to add even large Nationwide moving companies can cause problems. My Aunt and Uncle moved from Las Vegas to Pennsylvania. They had lived all over the world and had many nice items. 

When their items were unloaded in Pennsylvania. There were quite a few items that did not make it to their new house. Even with pictures, lawyers and documents it was never settled.

Please be careful and research who you are hiring to move your possessions.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd 

Sad, but true, even hired professionals, insured, bonded, etc. can be a nightmare to work with.d  Seen it firsthand.  

And a small job, may not find anyone.

And the ones in the parking are willing to work and for next to nothing.  But what do you do?

Honored Contributor

Re: RE: Help with moving

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm   You bring up interesting perspectives.  I understand what everyone is saying....the companies we have called are not interested in small jobs.  Don't want to hire local neighborhood help for fear they might hurt themselves.  I did look up College Movers and Meathead Movers after reading the comments here.  I'll try giving them a call tomorrow.  Thanks everyone and @Lucky Charm  for your comments.

Honored Contributor

Is there a local handyman service in your area?  I've been thinking of getting a few odd jobs done around my house and looked up "handyman in my area".  There seems to be several companies that will do all sorts of things.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Is there a local handyman service in your area?  I've been thinking of getting a few odd jobs done around my house and looked up "handyman in my area".  There seems to be several companies that will do all sorts of things.

@haddon9 There is a local social media called Nextdoor. I would check that out, you get some honest reviews.

Honored Contributor

Re: RE: Help with moving

[ Edited ]

@panda1234   I have "Nextdoor  Neighbor" and have posted my request there also.  It is a smaller audience than our forum here, but because it is local I thought perhaps there might be a recommendation for a local company.  Good suggestion!