Honored Contributor

I'm not at all impressed with the doc. He could have offered all kinds of things that could help. I'm not sure I'd go back to that doc if it was me.

There are tons of resources out there for quitting. Find the ones in your area and try some of them. Call your local lung association too. Your doc should have had a list handy to give.

IMPORTANT.  There are several physical changes in the brain and the body when we quit. It might be that he needs anti-depressants (particularly an SSRI), or something else. An SSRI helps trigger serotonin production, which helps regulate stress, anxiety, sleep, depression, etc etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@spumoni99 - I agree! You really have to be ready and willing and have a positive mindset.

Super Contributor

Re: Quitting smoking

[ Edited ]

JUST DO IT!  You have to be ready to quit and mean it.  Go cold turkey...pick a day and decide to go all day with NO cigarettes.  Don't think you can have just 1 cigarette now and then...DON'T DO IT!   If you can get past the first day that's the hardest.  Some people suggest a "support system"...I didn't say anything to anyone either, I didn't want people asking me or commenting about smoking...I wanted to keep busy and forget about it.  Every day you can go without cigarettes you are purging the nicotine out of your system.  It's incredibly hard not to smoke so the more time you have invested in quitting just think that if you blow it and have a cigarette you'll have to start all over again.  Smoking is also habitual in that there are certain times you automatically reach for a cigarette.  Everytime I got on the phone I would reach for a cigarette or after a meal or social events.  You have to fight the urge every minute of every day.  Mindset is everything.  Even years later the urge to smoke can hit you....stress, a crisis or even social events.  Fight fight fight it!  Think of the awful smell, the expense and the health consequences especially as you get older.  It takes months or even a year before you are really home free and can look at cigarettes or smell cigarette smoke and not be tempted.   I quit in the 80's.  Stay strong, it's worth it! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@zitawins   Congrats on quitting smoking.  From the post I see you are facing some serious health issues....take care and I hope you stay well.

Esteemed Contributor

Sending encouragement to your DH.  Good health is precious.

Super Contributor

On my 34th birthday I told myself that I would quit on my 35th birthday.  That last year I smoked almost constantly.  As soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning I lit up. I smoked while driving, never did those things before.  I became a 2 pack a day smoker and smoked them for I was able to smoke at work.  So on my 35th I stopped and I had been smoking for 20 years.  I was okay during the day at work but when I came home I was pacing like an animal.  I had about a half pack of cigarettes left so I lit one each night and took two or three drags, butted it and threw it out.  It took me about a week to stop and I have never picked one up again.  November will be  40 years for me.  But, I can tell you that for years I wanted a smoke but never I never did.

Honored Contributor

I quit in 1997 first started with the patch but had an allergic reaction to it so I switched to the gum.  I did not have any problems just kept reminding myself that only the first three days are physical withdrawal after that it is psychological. 

It was the hardest thing in the world that I have ever done.  If they ever come up with a way to smoke actual cigarettes again and not get sick and die I will buy them.  I still miss smoking even though it is all in my head.

Best of luck to him I know how tough it truly is, but he can make it I am sure of it. 

One of the greatest things about quitting is no longer having to plan where or when you can smoke.  It is very freeing. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  Thank you for reponding. Posters have alot of good tips. Take a day at a time and keep the hands busy. They say there are varied smokers in that some like the tactile part of it, social, taste etc.

I have heard of those quitting putting the money aside they save money from the expense for something special. It seems take a day at a time and rewards for getting through the day smoke free. Positives like walking are commendable. 

Keep us posted on how things are going as many support your husband's efforts here!

Super Contributor

I quit 3 years ago and found this book really helpful.  In fact, I never finished it, I got about 1/3 through it and that's all I needed.  I'm still surprised that the book helped because normally I would discount this type of "help" as silly.  I think it appealed to me because it's pretty logical information.

Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking Without Willpower

Also, keep super nutritious foods available and ramp up hydration efforts.  

Best of luck to your hubs and everyone else here trying to quit.  

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Respected Contributor

Re: Quitting smoking

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

My husband is trying to quit smoking.  He has a lot of anxiety so he got a short term script yesterday...he is very restless.  

The doctor did not offer any other ideas, tips or drugs to help him.  Anyone else go thru this and what did you do to help?

thanks

@Mom2Dogs     

I smoked for over 50 years and was able to quit. I first let myself have 2 cigarettes for 2 days and then one cigarette for 1 day.  I got myself a squeezy ball and everytime I wanted to smoke I got out the squeezy ball and squeezed it.  I still carry that squeezy ball in my purse.  During the first couple of weeks of not smoking I could not sleep.  That is a sympton of nicotine withdrawal.  I think I was a little restless. I just remember not being able to sleep.  Google nicotine withdrawal symptons.  It didn't last long though.  Hope he's able to quit. You really have to have your mind made up that you are going to quit. This was in 2017.