Honored Contributor

a word that is certainly bandied about. What is your idea of quality?

Esteemed Contributor

Quality:  the buttons don't fall off

LOL

Honored Contributor

I don't think it's easily explained without excellent and poor examples for everyone to see in person.  

Without seeing that comparison, I have seen quite a few buyers with varying opinions because they haven't seen the best. 

Price is a good indicator, but there is a lot of excellent quality that is very overpriced.  Slap a high end designers name on it.  

Sometimes I say something is good quality for the price, but don't mean it is excellent quality.  Something retail priced at $50 will not be the same quality as $200, $500, $1,000 plus, regardless of what Isaac says.

Of course, there are exceptions.  We might find something on sale, an expensive designer item at TJ Maxx marked down very low, or when Neiman Marcus has it's Last Call sales for 80% off.  For me, they don't count, I'm looking at the quality compared to retail price.  

Sometimes, I am surprised.  Previously I commented on the Forum about a traditional blazer I saw at Walmart that received a 4.7 rating from buyers.  It retailed for $45, on sale for $32.  100% heavy weight cotton, lined, very nice buttons.  So well made for that price, I'd put a $100 price tag on it.  Most of the buyers were surprised at the quality and the low price.  

I suggested in the past here, if possible, go to stores that carry excellent quality and do comparisons yourself.  Learn how the best clothing is constructed, the fabric used, by researching the internet.  What to look for.  Still I think seeing samples in person are the key to recognizing excellent and poor quality and everything in between.  

Trusted Contributor

I grew up in a family full of women who made most of their clothes. My great aunt made most of my clothes and I was the best-dressed of my friends. Always compliments. My great grandmother was a seamstress for Newman Marcus, she truly knew her way around fine quality fabrics and could spot cheap fabric from a distance. I like to think I can tell crappy quality from fine quality fabric quickly. How the seams are finished and whether they match is a giveaway. Cheap fabric is hopeless; no way to turn it into good quality, no matter how it is made.